Flu Outbreak

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Confirmed advocate of presenteeism. Seriously though, what you say is partially true. However, it's less the coughing and spluttering that winds me up, but more the "Look at me! I could be at home sick, but I'm so devoted I came in anyway *sniffle sniffle*" nonsense. Coming into work while ill doesn't make you a martyr, it makes you a selfish ass who wants to boast at the end of the year "Look at me! I took no sick days this year."
I get 3 sick days a year.

What do you think my workplace expects?

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
No, he's providing an example. If your workplace is giving you 3 days a year, they aren't exactly creating a culture of "don't come in sick and spread your disease around, you should be resting". Is he the selfish ass for coming in sick, or is it his company for setting that expectation?

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Yes, that's what I'm saying.

I know you're in the UK, where everyone works 30 hours a week and gets 14 weeks of leave a year, but things are a bit different here in the states. It goes along with what I said earlier in the thread - capitalism does not allow for this idea of health, because it doesn't benefit employers. They expect you to come in and work, because they're not paying you to sit at home sick. And since the majority of Americans quite simply can not afford to not get paid, we have what we have.

Blide_sl

shitlord
I'm kind of conflicted on sick leave. Where I work I accrue one sick day a month and I'm not sure where it caps out at (think 30 days). Whatever the case, it's a significant amount of sick time that people regularly abuse. I mean it's pathetic when the nurse at work tells one of our secretaries to stay home because she has strep but the lady has no fucking sick time left because she uses it as soon as she accrues it. This happens all over the office and then these people beg others to donate their vacation time when they legitimately need to be out for a significant amount of time.

I want a job where I can call my boss " a fucking jackass" then then threaten to cut them up and still be employed.
He's not my boss. Cross matrixed support.

But as chaos said that's the relationship we have - mad shittalking 24/7. Its a very strange dynamic I'll admit - he's twice my age roughly and people refer to him as my work husband (and vice versa) and his employees basically treat me as 'mom' and him as 'dad' (as in when he gets annoyed at them I go fix it/provide top cover if he's being an ass or if he wants to push them out of the nest on stuff he'll just say 'go work with Sarah' - which makes me crazy because then I have to baby sit the problem children who are HIS EMPLOYEES).....but it is what it is. It works for us. Only reason I've stayed with my current company is for him and he knows that because I've told him as such. Soon as he retires (or maybe a year earlier) I'm gone.

I know you're in the UK, where everyone works 30 hours a week and gets 14 weeks of leave a year, but things are a bit different here in the states. It goes along with what I said earlier in the thread - capitalism does not allow for this idea of health, because it doesn't benefit employers. They expect you to come in and work, because they're not paying you to sit at home sick. And since the majority of Americans quite simply can not afford to not get paid, we have what we have.
You all are totally missing the (at least my) point. Its not 'calling in sick' and therefore having to 'take a sick day'.

This is an environment (the one I'm talking about) where telecommuting is acceptable. So if you have the ability to telecommute, I would think that doing so when you're sick is a pretty fucking common sense idea. I said this in my very first post. If you have the ability to telecommute, and you're sick, stay the fuck home. This isn't rocket science. You lessen the risk of spreading it and you're in a more tranquil environment and have a better chance at a speedier recovery so you can come back faster.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
You all are totally missing the (at least my) point. Its not 'calling in sick' and therefore having to 'take a sick day'.

This is an environment (the one I'm talking about) where telecommuting is acceptable. So if you have the ability to telecommute, I would think that doing so when you're sick is a pretty fucking common sense idea. I said this in my very first post. If you have the ability to telecommute, and you're sick, stay the fuck home. This isn't rocket science. You lessen the risk of spreading it and you're in a more tranquil environment and have a better chance at a speedier recovery so you can come back faster.
And you are totally missing the point that I wasn't talking to you.

Gorestabb

Bronze Knight of the Realm
No, he's providing an example.
Ahhh I see. Sickness policy differs dramatically between companies, never mind countries though. For instance, where I work now, we get 10 days or 5 instances (whichever comes first) of paid sick leave annually. That is the most generous allowance I've had ever, yet there are still people who feel the need to bring their sickness to work. I can understand though if you got a very limited number of days you might save them for when you were really ill, I would.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
We can telecommute here and on top of that get 15 days paid off plus accrue sick time. I guess we have it pretty good.

Jx3

Riddle me this...
Wal-Marts sick policy isnt that bad compared to most retailers for full time people, its based on hours worked and doesn't roll over but if I don't call in sick its pretty much an extra week of vacation.

If your part-time Wally world doesnt give a fuck about doctors notes or if you break a leg (seriously long story), unless someone died (need proof!) or jury duty (need proof again) you better be at work.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Didn't read the thread, but, the flu vaccine is normally only 2-3 strains of the virus that are predicted to be in the outbreak. It could be a completely different strain. Not to mention, there's the difference between shifts and drifts.
But as you correctly pointed out it's a prediction, an educated one based on previous experience - regardless of antigenic drift and shift. We cannot guard ourselves 100% vs shifts or the rare drift which causes pandemics with the vaccination.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histori...luenza_vaccine
Cost-benefit wise it's a good idea to get the vaccine for the most vulnerable - the elderly, children, the pregnant, frequent overseas travelers and the immune suppressed to name a few.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
But as you correctly pointed out it's a prediction, an educated one based on previous experience - regardless of antigenic drift and shift. We cannot guard ourselves 100% vs shifts or the rare drift which causes pandemics with the vaccination.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histori...luenza_vaccine
Cost-benefit wise it's a good idea to get the vaccine for the most vulnerable - the elderly, children, the pregnant, frequent overseas travelers and the immune suppressed to name a few.
I never said not to get it. I just said it was a prediction of what some of the strains that would show itself. I myself am required to get it due to working in the medical field. I think it would be stupid not to get it, lol.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
I never said not to get it. I just said it was a prediction of what some of the strains that would show itself. I myself am required to get it due to working in the medical field. I think it would be stupid not to get it, lol.
Indeed. It's usually a good idea to not have those who care for the vulnerable spread the disease as well.
rrr_img_9696.jpg

Have you had any nurse colleagues fired because of not wanting the vaccine, I wonder?

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
You get fined for not having the vaccines. If you don't comply, you get fired. Same with the purified protein derivative.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I get annoyed at this "don't come to work sick" argument because nobody ever calls in sick for more than 1-2 days even though it's already been explained that they are contagious from before they have symptoms until they get over it.
I've always wondered about that. It seems intuitive to assume that when you're sneezing, running your nose all the damn place and generally being a pile of shit it spreads more, but all that stuff is just your body reacting to it. I'd love to know if the 'don't come to work if you're sick in order to prevent contaminating your colleagues' is based on science.

Blide_sl

shitlord
All I know is that I can point to exactly where I got my last cold. Was cooped up in a cabin with the family over Christmas with my step-sister's 2 year old and 18 month old. Within a couple days, every adult in the house minus the two parents were sick. It's pretty safe to assume one of those those 2 kids got us sick.