<Gold Donor>
Lame.

Foler's African Banana Forest?
scott-disick-keeping-up-with-the-kardashians.gif

• 2Worf
  • 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 2 users
I post all day while working.
I post all day while working and running a cell block at one of our nation's Supermax facilities and tabbing out to play MOO2 if I get bored. I play low gravity bitches. You know I still win. Diplomatic, military, it don't matter hey!

Actually my god this is such an old thing to say, no? My younger brother needs like a Fortress of Solitude when he works. It's how he gets to his best brain, so to speak. Me? I swear to god playing eq while working on some long-term project, solitary, was a godsend.

Some people multi-focus. Others don't. "How do you have a job?..."

Yup. Full of shit *and* retarded.

Foler, do you even eq?

I'm here because I'm pretty much standard issue eq retard, tbh. I've seen worse hobbies.

But why are you here?

• 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
What did you go through?
Going to just lazily copy and paste from a Reddit comment I left yesterday to someone asking for advice for their step mother who was going through stage 4 cancer

I bring it up less often but I had stage 4 cancer myself. The "good kind" of the two types of testicular cancer -- not there is such a thing as a "good kind" of cancer -- seminoma. "Good kind" because normally seminomas are extremely responsive to the cisplatin chemotherapy regimen, and something like 85-90% of cases are "cured" after the first pass of chemo. But, if you are in thet unfortunate 10-15%, things get much worse. Cisplatin is a very difficult chemo drug, to the point that the only reason they still use it is because it's one of the rare chemotherapy drugs that has a 85-90% CURE rate for a given cancer. It gives lifelong side effects tho, and repeated passes cause a cumulative effect. And unfortunately there isn't any other drug that's effective for seminomas, so they just keep giving cisplatin and it's derivatives over and over. I had a stubborn case that took FOUR YEARS to cure. And you know what finally worked? Two things -- (sorry in terrible at line breaks when I'm on a roll, this is about time tho right? Lol)

1. the ketogenic diet. It won't work for all cancers, but I did a lot of research on seminomas and found that seminomas almost exclusively feed on the body's glycogen. The ketogenic diet starts out by depleting your body of glycogen to induce ketosis (the alternate energy source for your body). So even tho my doctor recommended against it ("you need to keep your weight up!" She says) I started the diet. And my serum tumor markers went from 93 to 5 (3-5 being the normal range of this particular serum component in a healthy individual) in the course of 10 days! A miraculous turn around by my doctor's account, but a logical one by mine. (Note, tho, that my cancer lingered even after that, and I credit the combination of the keto diet and my chemotherapy with being what ultimately cures me.)

Points here being two --

a. Doctors don't always know what they're talking about (my doctor was Dr. Ulka Vaishampayan, who is a researcher for University of Michigan now, and she STILL refuses to see the logic behind my turn around even after I laid it all out in front of her with peer reviewed science articles backing up every point of my logic. Doctors should be researching this. Maybe no one wants to fund it idk. But it's pretty obvious and there's clear lines on my chart that can help prove my case. Laurence Einhorn, who literally invented my chemotherapy regimen several decades ago (but is still working as a researcher at Indiana University), was even consulted at one point because stubborn seminomas are so rare. And yet nothing has come of this even with me pushing my doctors to investigate.

And b. If you're going to try your own thing instead of following every single one of the doctor's orders ***do your research***. I had SO MANY crackpots come out of the woodwork telling me all sorts of alternative therapies they were convinced would cure my cancer. The vast majority of them had absolutely no scientific basis that I could find. My old joke was "I'm tired of people telling me that sticking flax seed up my butt will cure my cancer." There is a lot that doctors don't know, but there's a lot they do -- so if you're going to stray away from doctor's orders, don't buy into every other voice you hear either. This is a life we are talking about, and it deserves as detailed of an analysis as it can be given. Just unfortunately, cancer researchers are so inundated with trying to save lives that they often don't have the time to give individual stubborn cases the attention they deserve, and so you might have to take it upon yourself to put in some time reading and learning.

But the internet has allowed even the common man to learn these things, and some of the basics aren't really that hard. Who knows, start doing some of your own digging and maybe eventually something like my keto diet revelation will pop out to you. For any of the deeper papers that are behind pay walls, there is a site called Sci Hub. "The Pirate Bay" for science papers, you can find almost any science paper in existence even if it is supposed to be behind a paywall. Shhh. It will always be the first result on Google when you search for "Sci Hub" tho. And no Torrents or anything involved, as long as you know the DOI you're looking for the website will spit out a clean PDF for you. It was set up by a person who, like myself, believes that scientific knowledge -- especially potentially life saving knowledge like that -- should be free to all humans regardless of international or economic barriers.

I genuinely feel that for the vast majority of cancers, there is some metabolic component feeding into the malfunction. It's basic logical sense, but the line of thought from the FALSE anecdotal wisdom of "once the cancer cells are in you, they're there forever" / "everyone has a little cancer in them" etc should be avoided. It's just a matter of figuring out what's feeding into the particular tumor, and then figuring out a way to shift your metabolic processes away from that for long enough that the chemotherapy finally works. There is plentiful research into the metabolism of most types of cancer, that is where to look first IMO.

And going WAY back to the second "thing that finally worked. "

2. Just my basic will to live. When I was younger, despite my gifts, I struggled with suicidal ideation quite often. And it wasn't until I decided I wanted to live and got right with God that my health turned around. God helps those who help themselves tho, and if I hadn't put in the WORK on top of the spiritual shift, I would not have made it. Don't give up!

Anyway, depending on how elderly she is, I suppose much of that first point might be over her head. But still good advice for you as her loved one. Going back to your initial question of just general comfort -- stage 4 cancer patients are the last group in America that doctors will pretty much just be willing to give you as many opiates as you want. Genuinely, if she can be responsible with them, she should take advantage. Comfort is definitely also a big part of the healing processes needed if the body is ever going to overcome the cancer. And even if the patient never beats the cancer, well -- better to go out comfortable.

Also, cannabis. :)

If you have any questions or need a little more direction on where to start finding some resources, feel free to PM me. This goes for anyone that has read this far, not just u/millilitre14

P.s. the basics of chemotherapy is actually pretty easy to understand for anyone that passed biology. Most chemo drugs specifically target MITOSIS, cell division, in some way interrupting the chemical processes that happen during cell division, while (hopefully and ideally, but in practice never fully) trying to interrupt the normal chemical cellular processes as little as possible. The reason this works is because cancer cells divide more rapidly than your regular cells. But since it halts normal cell division as well, all the more slowly dividing non-cancerous cells in your body start to be killed off by the chemo too, once they do finally get around to apoptosis. So the goal of chemo is to literally give just enough of the right poison for just long enough to kill the cancer before it kills the patient. Obviously as a singular methodology this is flawed if the broken metabolic mechanism that caused the cancer in the first place is still happening. That's why it's so important for cancer patients to also think about diet and exercise and whatnot. The chemo alone won't fix most cancers, even tho the doctors only spend maybe 1% of their time talking about anything but chemotherapy. The nutritionists are (in my experience) often unprepared for deeper level discussions like the one above about the specific metabolism of seminomas. However, if you do end up putting in enough research that you think you're onto something, then you might be able to find a nutritionist that is more willing to -- and has more time to be able to put into -- help with such research as compared to the willingness and time of the oncologist on hand.

Lastly, mostly useless knowledge, but I was always amused by the specific mechanism of cisplatin. Chemically, cisplatin is a very simple molecule -- an atom of platinum in the center, with two chlorine atoms attached on one side, and two amines attached on the other. It interrupts mitosis by depositing that platinum atom into the single helix DNA strands (mitosis, remember?) before they recombine into normal double helix DNA. The bit that amuses me being that -- on the molecular level -- "we broke this huge complex machine by depositing a single platinum atom in it" is just about as close as you can get to the classic concept of literally just throwing a wrench into the works of a machine to get it to turn off lol. :)

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Going to just lazily copy and paste from a Reddit comment I left yesterday to someone asking for advice for their step mother who was going through stage 4 cancer

I bring it up less often but I had stage 4 cancer myself. The "good kind" of the two types of testicular cancer -- not there is such a thing as a "good kind" of cancer -- seminoma. "Good kind" because normally seminomas are extremely responsive to the cisplatin chemotherapy regimen, and something like 85-90% of cases are "cured" after the first pass of chemo. But, if you are in thet unfortunate 10-15%, things get much worse. Cisplatin is a very difficult chemo drug, to the point that the only reason they still use it is because it's one of the rare chemotherapy drugs that has a 85-90% CURE rate for a given cancer. It gives lifelong side effects tho, and repeated passes cause a cumulative effect. And unfortunately there isn't any other drug that's effective for seminomas, so they just keep giving cisplatin and it's derivatives over and over. I had a stubborn case that took FOUR YEARS to cure. And you know what finally worked? Two things -- (sorry in terrible at line breaks when I'm on a roll, this is about time tho right? Lol)

1. the ketogenic diet. It won't work for all cancers, but I did a lot of research on seminomas and found that seminomas almost exclusively feed on the body's glycogen. The ketogenic diet starts out by depleting your body of glycogen to induce ketosis (the alternate energy source for your body). So even tho my doctor recommended against it ("you need to keep your weight up!" She says) I started the diet. And my serum tumor markers went from 93 to 5 (3-5 being the normal range of this particular serum component in a healthy individual) in the course of 10 days! A miraculous turn around by my doctor's account, but a logical one by mine. (Note, tho, that my cancer lingered even after that, and I credit the combination of the keto diet and my chemotherapy with being what ultimately cures me.)

Points here being two --

a. Doctors don't always know what they're talking about (my doctor was Dr. Ulka Vaishampayan, who is a researcher for University of Michigan now, and she STILL refuses to see the logic behind my turn around even after I laid it all out in front of her with peer reviewed science articles backing up every point of my logic. Doctors should be researching this. Maybe no one wants to fund it idk. But it's pretty obvious and there's clear lines on my chart that can help prove my case. Laurence Einhorn, who literally invented my chemotherapy regimen several decades ago (but is still working as a researcher at Indiana University), was even consulted at one point because stubborn seminomas are so rare. And yet nothing has come of this even with me pushing my doctors to investigate.

And b. If you're going to try your own thing instead of following every single one of the doctor's orders ***do your research***. I had SO MANY crackpots come out of the woodwork telling me all sorts of alternative therapies they were convinced would cure my cancer. The vast majority of them had absolutely no scientific basis that I could find. My old joke was "I'm tired of people telling me that sticking flax seed up my butt will cure my cancer." There is a lot that doctors don't know, but there's a lot they do -- so if you're going to stray away from doctor's orders, don't buy into every other voice you hear either. This is a life we are talking about, and it deserves as detailed of an analysis as it can be given. Just unfortunately, cancer researchers are so inundated with trying to save lives that they often don't have the time to give individual stubborn cases the attention they deserve, and so you might have to take it upon yourself to put in some time reading and learning.

But the internet has allowed even the common man to learn these things, and some of the basics aren't really that hard. Who knows, start doing some of your own digging and maybe eventually something like my keto diet revelation will pop out to you. For any of the deeper papers that are behind pay walls, there is a site called Sci Hub. "The Pirate Bay" for science papers, you can find almost any science paper in existence even if it is supposed to be behind a paywall. Shhh. It will always be the first result on Google when you search for "Sci Hub" tho. And no Torrents or anything involved, as long as you know the DOI you're looking for the website will spit out a clean PDF for you. It was set up by a person who, like myself, believes that scientific knowledge -- especially potentially life saving knowledge like that -- should be free to all humans regardless of international or economic barriers.

I genuinely feel that for the vast majority of cancers, there is some metabolic component feeding into the malfunction. It's basic logical sense, but the line of thought from the FALSE anecdotal wisdom of "once the cancer cells are in you, they're there forever" / "everyone has a little cancer in them" etc should be avoided. It's just a matter of figuring out what's feeding into the particular tumor, and then figuring out a way to shift your metabolic processes away from that for long enough that the chemotherapy finally works. There is plentiful research into the metabolism of most types of cancer, that is where to look first IMO.

2. Just my basic will to live. When I was younger, despite my gifts, I struggled with suicidal ideation quite often. And it wasn't until I decided I wanted to live and got right with God that my health turned around. God helps those who help themselves tho, and if I hadn't put in the WORK on top of the spiritual shift, I would not have made it. Don't give up!

Anyway, depending on how elderly she is, I suppose much of that first point might be over her head. But still good advice for you as her loved one. Going back to your initial question of just general comfort -- stage 4 cancer patients are the last group in America that doctors will pretty much just be willing to give you as many opiates as you want. Genuinely, if she can be responsible with them, she should take advantage. Comfort is definitely also a big part of the healing processes needed if the body is ever going to overcome the cancer. And even if the patient never beats the cancer, well -- better to go out comfortable.

If you have any questions or need a little more direction on where to start finding some resources, feel free to PM me. This goes for anyone that has read this far, not just u/millilitre14

P.s. the basics of chemotherapy is actually pretty easy to understand for anyone that passed biology. Most chemo drugs specifically target MITOSIS, cell division, in some way interrupting the chemical processes that happen during cell division, while (hopefully and ideally, but in practice never fully) trying to interrupt the normal chemical cellular processes as little as possible. The reason this works is because cancer cells divide more rapidly than your regular cells. But since it halts normal cell division as well, all the more slowly dividing non-cancerous cells in your body start to be killed off by the chemo too, once they do finally get around to apoptosis. So the goal of chemo is to literally give just enough of the right poison for just long enough to kill the cancer before it kills the patient. Obviously as a singular methodology this is flawed if the broken metabolic mechanism that caused the cancer in the first place is still happening. That's why it's so important for cancer patients to also think about diet and exercise and whatnot. The chemo alone won't fix most cancers, even tho the doctors only spend maybe 1% of their time talking about anything but chemotherapy. The nutritionists are (in my experience) often unprepared for deeper level discussions like the one above about the specific metabolism of seminomas. However, if you do end up putting in enough research that you think you're onto something, then you might be able to find a nutritionist that is more willing to -- and has more time to be able to put into -- help with such research as compared to the willingness and time of the oncologist on hand.

Lastly, mostly useless knowledge, but I was always amused by the specific mechanism of cisplatin. Chemically, cisplatin is a very simple molecule -- an atom of platinum in the center, with two chlorine atoms attached on one side, and two amines attached on the other. It interrupts mitosis by depositing that platinum atom into the single helix DNA strands (mitosis, remember?) before they recombine into normal double helix DNA. The bit that amuses me being that -- on the molecular level -- "we broke this huge complex machine by depositing a single platinum atom in it" is just about as close as you can get to the classic concept of literally just throwing a wrench into the works of a machine to get it to turn off lol. :)
Lumi Lumi can we get a fact check here.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>

Points here being two --

Dude no one is gonna read this it’s too long