Fondest Memory of MMOs

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Khama here by the way
You gave me a skull shaped barbute on my troll warrior. I still have this:

rrr_img_80607.jpg

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Let's be real. The only challenge ever was meeting the time investments in the first place. Its not like slow EQ combat took the skill it takes to play a FPS or anything. The notable exceptions being bards/enchanters. Those classes aside, the only thing it took to be a badass was a ton of free time.
As a monk, it took knowing how to exploit the fuck out of pathing/los/aggro code.

Noahx

N00b
Craziest situation in EQ... Was in a guild where we helped eachother get epics by sharing/MQing loot. Was grinding out to level 60 on night and fell asleep late. The next morning I have a voice mail from a friend saying "dude, log in, I fucked something up and you now have Fiery Defender". I log in and there it was. He had logged in my toon to MQ a piece of the epic for a guildmate (which we had already agreed would get the MQ) and fucked it up... putting FD in my bag. I felt a little bad but swinging that flamesword was like having a 14 inch dick.

A few weeks later some pimp ass lance dropped in ToV... the senior paladin got it and everyone was happier (it was far better than FD).

Herv_sl

shitlord
I already posted in the sploits and what made eq great thread but here's a new one.

So I am showing a co-worker EQ, sometime during velious IIRC. He logs in my warrior and follows my druid into a packed Dreadlands and Karnors Castle. Some folks (with a great sense of humor) had trained Gorenaire to the entrance outside, and Venril Sathir to the inside. What followed was a TON of folks desperately trying to avoid death, eating fears outside, recovering and zoning inside... to eat lifetaps.

My buddy was like, fuck man, is it always like this?? He got hooked, just like the rest of us.

---

I don't think anyone that played before Kunark would ever forget their first Fear or Hate break.

DT'ing Cazic (corpse duper!) that then sent the Amy temple at you. What a harsh one/two that could be.

Camping to Chat to try to figure out how you are going to get your corpses. So happy I was there for that period of gaming.

e:
Manaburning this guy the day before the nerf, GM doing the countdown, a crowd placing bets on win/lose. It worked even with one wizard accidently insta-gibbing himself.
xsEK2Am.jpg

6 wizards clearing to Trakanon was pretty cool as well, Suntrike crits (no one had GSS) all the way!

I wish that I had gotten a few more of the Flowers of protection from PoM and also the magic SV crystal range item from the last warder. I had the other 3, but never got the magic one.
The blue flower was all four Thrones, so yah it was painful, but being a clicky freak it had to be done. Pre armor dyes the PoM wizard robe was only second to the Emperor's robe for cool lookin.

Fucking 'Mangelo'. Funny shit.
http://eq.magelo.com/profile/297015

Oh, the wizard epic + horse + mana robe was about ft30 IIRC. Great for grouping outside but really bardish gameplay.
Manastone was good for kiting HoH basements then porting to WK where the CH bot was waiting.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I already posted in the sploits and what made eq great thread but here's a new one.

So I am showing a co-worker EQ, sometime during velious IIRC. He logs in my warrior and follows my druid into a packed Dreadlands and Karnors Castle. Some folks (with a great sense of humor) had trained Gorenaire to the entrance outside, and Venril Sathir to the inside. What followed was a TON of folks desperately trying to avoid death, eating fears outside, recovering and zoning inside... to eat lifetaps.

My buddy was like, fuck man, is it always like this?? He got hooked, just like the rest of us.

---

I don't think anyone that played before Kunark would ever forget their first Fear or Hate break.

DT'ing Cazic (corpse duper!) that then sent the Amy temple at you. What a harsh one/two that could be.

Camping to Chat to try to figure out how you are going to get your corpses. So happy I was there for that period of gaming.
Fear and hate were two of the best zones ever. Doing those zones actually got the heart palpitating. VP too.

Herv_sl

shitlord
VP when Hosh and Silverwing roamed near the entrance and overlapped. That was home of the harshness for sure.

Making the run to Mischief for the first time, and my RL friends, our hands were shaking. Got ourselves up there without killing a mob though. Prolly burned up to a dozen coffins doing it, sure.

A SoW for speed, Brass Idol to pop if you could make it past Dagarn, binding before Thunderblast and the other AEs you ate along the way killed you. Running a cleric with a Divine Barrier cast right before Aary and channeling a Divine Aura with half of the train eating you, zoning in to bind and die right after.

I am surprised they never made that a task/quest to do in game.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Being able to upgrade your armor in EQ from chainmail to banded to bronze and having your whole appearance change and everyone knew exactly every piece you had. It was pretty awesome. Lvl 18 orange guys with blue horned helm? This motherfucker can probably even hit willowisps with a langseax!

Running from Qeynos to Freeport or vice versa will never be replicated in any game ever again because games will never be that harsh on death ever again.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
remember when roleplaying was common enough that newb beggers did it, sort of?

I used to get tells along the lines of "Excuse me M'Lord doth thou have anything to spare?" ALL the fucking time

rrr_img_80864.jpg

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
VP when Hosh and Silverwing roamed near the entrance and overlapped. That was home of the harshness for sure.

Making the run to Mischief for the first time, and my RL friends, our hands were shaking. Got ourselves up there without killing a mob though. Prolly burned up to a dozen coffins doing it, sure.

A SoW for speed, Brass Idol to pop if you could make it past Dagarn, binding before Thunderblast and the other AEs you ate along the way killed you. Running a cleric with a Divine Barrier cast right before Aary and channeling a Divine Aura with half of the train eating you, zoning in to bind and die right after.

I am surprised they never made that a task/quest to do in game.
Selo's Accelerating Chorus made this trivial as soon as Luclin dropped though.

Obtenor_sl

shitlord
Reading this as a necro on a raid

'LIFE BURN NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW'

Lifeburning down to 1hp, instantly aggroing mob, dying most of the time; you needed to master the LIFEBURN + FD combo (and pray the boss didn't aoe). I was glad when they introduced the change to LB to avoid this.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Curious what others thoughts are on this. What is your fondest memory of your MMO experience ? In particular, End game or the leveling journey. For me it was always the leveling experience and exploration of a large world rather than the end game tread mill.

End game vs leveling ? which encapsulates your best memories of MMOs ?
Everquest One, running from Queynos to Freeport as lowbies with no SOW. We were playing so early, I'm not sure there were jboots. There were definitely no wiz/dru teleports, boats, bells, etc. I ran with my best friend. This was like the first couple of weeks online for me, so it was weird playing with someone living 1,000 miles away. We almost died, and it was intense. We were low enough that the lions, snakes, cougars, and bears could kill us fast. To this day, we still LOL over that.

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
For me it was sneaking into hate with a full pop, solo. I didn't have a guild strong enough to break fear and I was near the lead for one of the first Ragebringers on E marr. I got to the second floor and snuck past Inno for the part. I got drunk after I gated out to come off the stress.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
UO - release - bugs galore but holy shit was it fun as fuck. Magical. Hiding at the bottom of that dungeon where the red bolrog things spawned and stealing the loots of the unlucky fools who tried to fight em. Got very rich doing that. Also recalling around to all the armor venders and piecing together colored armor sets to sell for HUGE bucks at brit bank. Few of us Gating into crossroads where everyone hung out and dropping those energy vortex things, the purple one's, may be getting the names wrong but they'd fuck you up if it got near you. The halberd / EB combo days, wait for that halby big hit then unleash your qued up EB for insta kills. Good times.

Balroc

Molten Core Raider
Me as an asshole 11 or 12 year old kid at the time:

- Scammed a Stein of Moggok off some guy back in vanilla EQ when stein was the absolute shit through the ol' "I'll log on my main who has money after you give me the stein." It was glorious. I tried to pull the same trick on some dude with a manastone but he countered by never showing up and just strung me along for a while.
- Killing Yarblek, the leader of Yarblek Industries, still in vanilla EQ. This guy was a druid who was absolutely decked out and roaming around with a FBSS, GEBs, plat jewelry, you name it. First time my friend and I killed him was for an FBSS and the second time was for GEBS.
- One of my biggest gaming regrets was losing a ton of PK screenshots I had taken for my guild's (Darkenbane) contest of who could get the most kills in a month. I think the winner got a pretty nice INT shield from Kunark but the name of it escapes me. Rune something maybe? Runic shield? Whatever, I had a lot of pics and they were all dated to prove that the kills occurred within the month.
- Farming jboots cyclops in the desert zone north of oasis (fuck I can't believe I forgot the name of the zone) and so were some other dudes (possible hackers). They got cyclops but the guys' friend who needed the ring hadn't shown up yet so the other guy locked the corpse by sitting there in the looting animation. Maybe he knew, maybe he didn't but you get booted eventually from looting and it opens up the corpse so my friend who was sleeping over at my place at the time was frantically spam-clicking the corpse to get the ring. We got it. It was amazing. I got a warning for stealing the loot but GM let me keep the ring. Fuckin' awesome times man, god damn.
- Randomly killing some naked woodelf in Kelethin for 1k plat and trudging to the bank, scared as fuck but eventually managing to deposit the loot.

Fuckin' EQ. Am I right?

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
- Scammed a Stein of Moggok off some guy back in vanilla EQ when stein was the absolute shit through the ol' "I'll log on my main who has money after you give me the stein." It was glorious. I tried to pull the same trick on some dude with a manastone but he countered by never showing up and just strung me along for a while.
Asshole.

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
Man, this thread makes me sad, I feel like the MMO genre is slowly fading away. Currently there are nothing to look forward.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
It's not going away, the problem is the MMO designers for gen 1 (well, we'll say .5 thru 1 because things like The Realm and T4C and shit like that were kind of right there before EQ and AC) had a very narrow vision at the time and saw it to reality but most of them are terrible people and shitty developers which has borne out to a 'failed' genre past WoW.

What needs to happen is they need to embrace modern gaming trends and actually make simple, approachable and scalable gameplay.

There's no mmo community in one game that's going to survive these days without integration into mobile phones. I'm sorry, if you think you can pull off a 'everyone get on at 3am for the dragon' BS again, you're wrong. What you CAN do is multi-device application. Log onto your 'app' to craft a legendary sword, AH, buff a dude, mine mats, complete garrison type BS, stuff like that.

It's just going to take a while for the next group of devs to throw off the chains of the shitty has-beens that control the RPG industry right now (I hesitate to use MMO because so much technically qualifies anymore or doesn't but is still lumped in).