Fondest Memory of MMOs

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
It's not going away, the problem is the MMO designers for gen 1 (well, we'll say .5 thru 1 because things like The Realm and T4C and shit like that were kind of right there before EQ and AC) had a very narrow vision at the time and saw it to reality but most of them are terrible people and shitty developers which has borne out to a 'failed' genre past WoW.

What needs to happen is they need to embrace modern gaming trends and actually make simple, approachable and scalable gameplay.

There's no mmo community in one game that's going to survive these days without integration into mobile phones. I'm sorry, if you think you can pull off a 'everyone get on at 3am for the dragon' BS again, you're wrong. What you CAN do is multi-device application. Log onto your 'app' to craft a legendary sword, AH, buff a dude, mine mats, complete garrison type BS, stuff like that.

It's just going to take a while for the next group of devs to throw off the chains of the shitty has-beens that control the RPG industry right now (I hesitate to use MMO because so much technically qualifies anymore or doesn't but is still lumped in).
The same people with your narrow mindedness also said there would never be another movie with real explosions and stunt men and not a CGI/green screen shit fest because no studio would fund it and no one would want to see it. Then George Miller makes Max Max: Fury Road and makes all the naysayers look stupid. There is a market for this type of game, someone just needs to have the balls to make it.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
The same people with your narrow mindedness also said there would never be another movie with real explosions and stunt men and not a CGI/green screen shit fest because no studio would fund it and no one would want to see it. Then George Miller makes Max Max: Fury Road and makes all the naysayers look stupid. There is a market for this type of game, someone just needs to have the balls to make it.
Those two are not even close to one another to be used in any sort of analogy.

With that said, the problem with relic designers is they really are piss poor designers, lack foresight to do anything but the most basic, lack innovation, and that stagnates video games. How they go about bringing that innovation isn't at issue. They could do it programming in Basic for all anyone cares. The issue is with a culture of where those relics came from. That culture supported top down development, stagnation of ideas, stealing of ideas, keeping the low man low, and never fostered a truly creative environment. And the people that do the opposite, are thriving. The ones that aren't, end up putting out shit kickstarters for already funded games, pipe dreams of Molyneux proportions without any chance of it succeeding but suckering millions of dollars of consumers with lip service, or living in the past trying to recapture a glory day of 1999 when luck and player driven emergent gameplay from design mistakes unforseen, brought them to where they were.

Those folks need to retire and move the fuck on.

Actually I wouldn't mind seeing the entire industry implode genre wide and watch 80% of these fucks scramble.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Jesus Ut... you just stew in negativity all day every day. It ain't healthy man.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Jesus Ut... you just stew in negativity all day every day. It ain't healthy man.
Huh? I was debating a point that an analogy to how a mechanic is delivered doesn't mean that the mechanic isn't delivered any longer. Just two ways to go about it. With that said, how is stating relics are shit negative? The majority of them are. As proven damn near everyday with the hilarious threads we get to see. You should know me better than now that I don't blow smoke up people's asses when posting on a game forum.

With regards to the industry, it's getting more and more fucked every year. Consumers are seeing less and less content per full purchase price, common denominator development cross platform rarely taking advantage of platform strengths, microtransactions to the hilt, and low cost development. We now get about 3 maybe 4 solid games per year. Most of the good entertainment now comes from Indie. And most of those (not all) lack a lot of depth.

Going to go eat a puppy now see ya chief!

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
In 1994ish Hitting level 20 as a grey elf sorcerer and taking the teleport from my island and walking into Waterdeep for the first time. Seeing 50 ppl in this same zone and taking part of the local economy. Later, hanging out 3w of fountain to get a raid group to kill Tiamat.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Mine was as a guide - /become into a 30 foot tall cockatrice in Overthere named "Big Bird" and slaughtering 30+ people in a GM event before every level 60 and their mom took me out (15 minutes later) and watching them all get pissed in shout when I only dropped 4 evil eye bags.

Tinger

Golden Squire
Smashing vanilla Naxx with the Juggernauts on Doomhammer(hi seb!).
rrr_img_126226.jpg

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
A friend and I were talking about useless/unfinished stuff in EQ yesterday for whatever reason. Speaking directly to Vanilla EQ, what are your favorite, "What's the point?" moments.

Mine is probably Lake Rathe or Rathe Mountains... I never really understood those zones or their weird named mobs. I believe they were intended to be apart of a quest line or portal to something but never were used (to my knowledge) until later on.

Also, the missing pieces in the original map always made me scratch my head.

Anyone else have some good ones? Especially mobs, items, or zones that were never used (as intended)?

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
A friend and I were talking about useless/unfinished stuff in EQ yesterday for whatever reason. Speaking directly to Vanilla EQ, what are your favorite, "What's the point?" moments.

Mine is probably Lake Rathe or Rathe Mountains... I never really understood those zones or their weird named mobs. I believe they were intended to be apart of a quest line or portal to something but never were used (to my knowledge) until later on.

Anyone else have some good ones? Especially mobs, items, or zones that were never used (as intended)?
The hand in Innothule Swamp. Was certain there had to be a point to it being there, but nope.

Squiggoth

Golden Squire
AQ Scepter quest was the best for me. It was the first time since Conquest happened that everything wasn't already laid out when content hit live. Trailblazing through that event was the most satisfying experience i had in WoW

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
I'm always amazed by how mysterious some of the game was. There was a website awhile back that had people dedicated to trying to figure out broken/unfinished quests and other lore stuff. Like how you could cast identify on certain items and it would give you snippets of information that would lead to other items/mobs/locations etc. The game is still largely a mystery to us.

For me it was like the 1st week of release for EQ and this ogre wanders into nek forest and helps me in a fight and then tells me his homeland has. 2 handers and to go with him to get one he roleplayed the shit out of that ogre. Was on fennin ro and he used to buy fine steel weapons from people in CT. Wish i could remeber the dudes name hewas awesome. Hell Fennin ro/Druzzil Ro drama was good shit.

Drajakur

Molten Core Raider
Simple stuff. Just the best period in my life overall.

1. Camping City of Mist for Greenmist drops and basically never leaving the zone with my IRL friend.
2. Running around Kurn's Tower as an Iksar SK when Kunark launched.
3. First PoF clear.
4. Tower of Frozen Shadow.
5. Joining my first guild and becoming their SK recruitment officer.
6. MoSS.
7. Tracking Diseased Bears outside Qeynos; Lockjaw; Spectres...all that crazy fun stuff right after EQ launch.
8. Undead Warlock PvP in WoW.
9. Roleplaying a Troll Shaman.
10. Going to bed at 2AM after playing EQ, getting up to work at 7AM, reading all the firsts from the uberguilds and hilarious stuff like Fansy the Bard and Swamp Defense, etc.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
For me it was like the 1st week of release for EQ and this ogre wanders into nek forest and helps me in a fight and then tells me his homeland has. 2 handers and to go with him to get one he roleplayed the shit out of that ogre. Was on fennin ro and he used to buy fine steel weapons from people in CT. Wish i could remeber the dudes name hewas awesome. Hell Fennin ro/Druzzil Ro drama was good shit.
My first character was made the day after Druzzil Ro went live in like, October '99. The Seekers/Vindication drama and Hoss, and Mythic Legion, and the rest was such a delight. And a huge pain in the ass towards the middle/end of Velious. Memorable times, to say the least.

BubbySoup

Golden Knight of the Realm

You could raise Trakanon faction by killing I think perhaps 1 or 2 mobs in the entire game. I vaguely remember reading something about someone trying to do this. I'm guessing like a lot of stuff in EQ you would have arrived at a dead end. Still, would have been interesting to see if Trak had anything to say as an ally.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
You could raise Trakanon faction by killing I think perhaps 1 or 2 mobs in the entire game. I vaguely remember reading something about someone trying to do this. I'm guessing like a lot of stuff in EQ you would have arrived at a dead end. Still, would have been interesting to see if Trak had anything to say as an ally.
Interesting... would be interesting. I need to look around and see if that site is still around that was dedicated to all the broken quests and such. I know there are quite a few but somethings really looked as if they were part of a plan that never saw the light of day.

kaxfenix

N00b
Grinding Away in West Karana killing bandits with a regular group of people who over the corpses of a bunch of dead bandits forged Lasting friendships that have lasted to this day.
But yeah killing Bandits and at various times a werewolf spawning.. Would Murder all of us if we didn't run for our lives
smile.png