Fondest Memory of MMOs

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
How amazingly disturbing some where and how big of pieces of shits others were.

Knew a dude who played as a female in game, and extended that persona to being female on various guild boards. One time I saw him flirting with some random dude on another guild's board. I quickly point out that he is infact a dude irl. The creeper quickly sends me a pm saying I had no right to say that and that if he wants to roleplay as a female thats his right.

Grizzlebeard_sl

shitlord
And what about last names? I remebwr finally hitting 20 for the first time in EQ and picking your last name was a big deal. It can't possibly be that hard to add last name support to an MMO.
I remember being undecided on a surname for my paladin. Wasn't till I was in my late 20's running back to Unrest naked on a CR that I saw a guy being beaten on by a skeleton in Dagnor's so I cast Instrument of Nife and ran up and punched it. First punch Nife procs and the skele is just obliterated. Grizzlebeard Thunderhand was born on that day.

Narac01

Trakanon Raider
How about most rustling memories of MMOs?

Being in the "second place" horde guild on my server. We would lose many of our best geared to the top guild on the server, basically making us the boot camp training guild for the tops.

Fuckin' Brahma.
You were in Blood Reign on Zul'Jin?

EXH_sl

shitlord
He was - a quote I remember was "the best part of raiding is standing around in Org while people check out your gear".

fuckin brahma indeed - when he gutted the guild to form Trans....I understand there was personal bullshit and reasons to leave but man did that fuck over a lot of people. That was probably the most rustled I've been in an mmo

best moment was probably the first Rag kill or killing Vael. for some reason we had the most trouble with that fight. when we finally did it - eye of the tiger baby.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Well son of a bitch. Wildstar is adding last names as a requirement when they implement their Megaservers.

Megaserver FAQ : WildStar Player Support

What happens if two characters from different realms have the same name?
Along with the Megaservers, we will introduce character last names. Each characters will have a unique name comprised of a first name (this is your existing character name) and a last name separated by a space. In the character select screen, you will have to choose a last name before entering the game. You will be limited to a total 30 characters including the space.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
You were in Blood Reign on Zul'Jin?
I remember BR from EQ. They had it spelled Rain at first. I think they splintered off into The War Council and Heaven and Earth somewhat early on. Did Kahma play wow? I remember him from the early Grobb days.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
How could I forget, the frist week of BWL. Beating that stupid first event, then trying Vael like 100 times before downing him only to have the damn door not open.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
How could I forget, the frist week of BWL. Beating that stupid first event, then trying Vael like 100 times before downing him only to have the damn door not open.
Vael was the beta test fight of BWL simply because you had to babysit melees on aggro and Burning Adrenaline changed every week. My favorite was the healer who made 20 flasks of petrification to remove the debuff ice block style.

Young_sl

shitlord
I have a lot of good MMO memories but some early ones in UO would be the summer guild wars first came out. UO changed a lot with rep patch and the Dread Lord days will always hold a soft spot in my gaming heart, but guild wars brought us battles on a much larger scale and they brought the fighting into the streets of major cities which I always thought was so cool. We spent a lot of time fighting with FoH against other guilds, Famine (I think you guys called him Furor?), Numa, Luigi, Mario, Nexus... so many good names. One day stands out specifically, myself, Nexus, Arkaine and Famine were fighting against 8 or 9 KKK (King of Korean Killer, eventually Origin made them change that abbreviation) on the Trinny North Bank roof. We were just holding on basically, they couldn't kill us but we didn't have the numbers to kill any of them, it was slowly slipping in their direction though as we ran out of greater heal pots. Finally Famine had enough, he says BANK, and next thing I know he is repping this vanq double axe, I don't know what it was about this axe that was so special but I had heard him talk of it before and he usually only used it at server down wars (as the game reverted back about 30 minutes so you could do whatever you want in that time without consequences (hey every MMO now a days is a server down war then!)) anyway, he moved from one side of the bank roof to the other basically leaving a wake of Korean corpses behind him. *Wuuuf* *Wuuuuf* "Ughghghghghghghhh!!" was all I heard on my speakers. We did our best to just keep him healed. When the dust settled there were 7 Korean corpses, 1 guy recalled out and the other guy jumped off the roof and ran away.

Haha frick, good times. Funny how some of those fights are so vivid in your mind. I also recall gating into Vesper bank to fight The Blood Clan, they must have either known our gate spot or had intel we were coming because they had the spot surrounded and basically just picked us off one by one as we gated in. We got massacred but frick was it fun.

Column_sl

shitlord
Any original Solsuk Ro, or Torvonilious people up in here?

Specifically from(RIP+Phoenix= Paradigm), or Blades of Wrath.

Morsakin

Golden Knight of the Realm
Getting the first Mail of Judgment drop (when FT3 was "omg so good" and it had FT7 on it) on the server, a week after getting the first Hand of Virtue and being the only cleric on the server who could MGB it for a few weeks thereafter.

Oh, and downing Emperor Ssraeshza the first time (when there was a temporary bug wherein he was slowable) while being boxed in with stacks upon stacks of mod rods around the cleric huddle.

Opimo_sl

shitlord
I was the 2nd tank in my guild for the rotation on Vael. The fucking repair bills that night were horrible. We finally killed him with 24 people after all the worthless sacks logged off.

Tol_sl

shitlord
Like countless other people, what really blew me away was the run from qeynos to freeport, and I know exactly why.

Basically, until that point me and the three people at level 8 I started with weren't really hooked. What made that run so amazing was that every step of the way, we got lost or in trouble, and every time without exception there was groups leveling and other travelers willing to give us directions. We basically started with a rumor some guy told us about the EC tunnel and how much better freeport was, and then we decided to strike out and find it ourselves. The trip took hours and we were constantly lost and finding adventure. We stopped at the spires and chatted with people in guard towers. When we hit highkeep, we basically were running around like chickens with our heads chopped off and praying the level 30s grinding mobs could keep them off us. When I died to one of the rogues that wasn't KoS to my other buddies, it was the biggest "OH SHIT" moment ever to respawn back in qeynos. Luckily I got a rez.

There was also the "WOW!" factor of seeing shit like hill giants, the bridge, highkeep, and thinking, "We're going to be fighting this shit one day!"

MMOs don't really capture that kind of feeling because no one fucking talks to each other, there isn't much danger at low levels, and there are detailed in-game maps from the get go. Even if not, we have better google-fu and resources widely available before retail. It's kind of sad, but I don't think we'll ever really get that kind of magic back unless worlds start being procedurally generated or something.

Grizzlebeard_sl

shitlord
I remember after playing a particularly long session I went to open the door to the kitchen and reached up into the air for the handle. I'm a little over six foot tall but my brain was so used to the first-person perspective of my dwarf.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Mix bag for me. Of course the first time my guild killed ragnaros in mc was great. People literally crying over vent out of happiness. Also being one of the first groups on server to kill herioc lich king. (Missed server first by an hour).

But mostly what I remember is my original guild in vanilla wow. Leveling up was fun because no one knew what they were doing and no one cared. We had a warrior in the guild who only had one arm. So he couldn't really tank effectively but lord did he try. So one day we are doing a dungeon and he tells us he's on his school's swim team. We're like, really? Are you any good? He just dead pans and says "I only have one arm. I'm horrible. But it's great on the rare occasions that I beat someone. The entire team rubs it in their face."

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This isn't my fondest memory but it happened to survive the purple haze. Just recalled it while reading the EQNext thread.

We were one of the first guilds in Vex Thall (EQ Luclin..). Brutal, brutal place at first, very unforgiving. The second place guild on the server was still butt hurt at being left behind back in Velious so they started claiming we cheated, etc, etc. So much so that the GM's use to watch us at almost every boss mob and this carried into Luclin.

I forget which boss we were at but a GM showed up. We all went about our business and killed it in the usually efficient and focused way, while ignoring the GM (we were used to them at that time and too busy).

Getting ready to loot and someone shouted "THE GM IS DEAD!".... sure enough the idiot had forgotten to put on his uber invulnerablity or whatever. Don't recall what they did back then. But he was lying there in a heap "Corpse of idiot eq employee ... " (or whatever) above his head. We laughed so hard and long we almost forgot to loot and scoot.

Dead GM at the boss mob.... good times.