Fondest Memory of MMOs

Yaamean

Molten Core Raider
Tell you what, decline, inactive, whatevet the truth was.....it felt damn good to still be a part of Endo once they overtook LoS in PoP. (Granted, I was only partially active after the 1st Emp ssra kill in SoL). The fact I can still remember how awesome that felt is either due to how addicting Brad's game was; or to how lottle of a life I had at that time. Maybe a little of both
smile.png

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
I spent the first couple months of EQ doing absolutely nothing (learning languages. doing that rivervale healing ring quest. running from Faydwer to Erudin to get a red wizard lvl 1 robe. Attending a wedding in Kith pre undead. Glowing stein quest at lvl 12 with some other lowbie enchanter). I was probably sub level 14 that whole time. I remember seeing a dude in a Flowing Black Robe and asking him how he got it. Then marking it down as something i'd have to do some day. Couple weeks later I'm leveling in Unrest graveyard and someone higher up in the guild I was in got his Oracle robe. Passed the FBR down to me. I was fucking ecstatic. 14 years old and couldn't be happier. I played that game for a few months without a care in the world. It was all about exploring, interacting with people and just living in that universe. I experienced the raid scene right before Kunark dropped and then through Velious, so I got that part of the game too, but those first few months...won't ever feel that again.

In WoW a big one for me was finishing the Rhok'delar Hunter epic bow quest by myself. You could cheese that quest a couple ways but I did it as intended. Thought it was pretty epic all in all.

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
The one memory that sticks out to me vividly to this day 14 years later is when Kunark first came out. We decided as a group of lower 30's - upper 30's we'd try to explore. We had a druid friend port the group to the ring there in Dreadlands and off we went... where we were anally violated by one mob that eventually turned into 40 by the time they killed us. In a zone we just stepped into. Of course no one actually did a /loc when we died so we spent the better part of 16 hours trying to find the corpse. Finally, after many deaths later, we found a necro who helped us track our corpses. There is no way I could ever spend that kind of time in a game again, but holy shit from 1999 - 2002 was one the pinnacles of my gaming life that will never be recreated. EQ had flaws out the yin-yang but it was like the culmination of everything I wanted in a game. An endless RPG, tons of people playing alongside of you, and a believable world. I could not answer you why that game grabbed me like no other could as there were many games to come afterward that were more polished, but maybe the rough edges were what gave EQ its character.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
The one memory that sticks out to me vividly to this day 14 years later is when Kunark first came out. We decided as a group of lower 30's - upper 30's we'd try to explore. We had a druid friend port the group to the ring there in Dreadlands and off we went... where we were anally violated by one mob that eventually turned into 40 by the time they killed us. In a zone we just stepped into. Of course no one actually did a /loc when we died so we spent the better part of 16 hours trying to find the corpse. Finally, after many deaths later, we found a necro who helped us track our corpses. There is no way I could ever spend that kind of time in a game again, but holy shit from 1999 - 2002 was one the pinnacles of my gaming life that will never be recreated. EQ had flaws out the yin-yang but it was like the culmination of everything I wanted in a game. An endless RPG, tons of people playing alongside of you, and abelievable world. I could not answer you why that game grabbed me like no other could as there were many games to come afterward that were more polished, but maybe the rough edges were what gave EQ its character.
Honestly thatbelievable worldthing is the thing I miss the most of MMOs.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I remember BR and Trans.. I was part of a few of the alliance guilds that I can't even remember anymore.. it's been so long. I later joined Valorous with Hyperburn.. lol.
I was in BR but I joined just as Brahma was leaving and I stayed in BR pretty much til the end of vanilla.

Playing on the Horde PvP team was good times. Nothing like playing BGs 6+ hours a day to help someone hit HWL. It was a great tight-knit group of Horde and Alliance PvPers back then before cross-server BGs ruined that community.

"Sapped at farm!"

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
Joining a small up-and-coming raiding guild in PoP. Being one of the first ten members of the guild at the first "raid" kill in Gulak Harbor (the troll from LoY), and six months later killing Quarm(?) in PoT.

Along the way we absorbed two failing raid guilds and destroyed the servers rotation system. Fun times.

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Getting Ashkandi was up there for me in vanilla as well. Something to be said as a Tauren Warrior named Mushoe walking into the middle of WSG and just raping faces. Also WTB imba racials back (5% hp and an aoe stun!?!?)

Antithesis

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Definitely boss raiding in EQ. To this day nothing can touch the sheer fun of hearing drunk Irish kids curse at each other over Roger Wilco while I tried to learn how to split pull with a Beastlord (it can be done). As time went on and I got older so did the player base of raiding guilds I joined. That I guess combined with server xfers etc in WoW guilds just seemed to become more about loot grabs and drama. Just wasn't fun anymore.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
#1.

I launch UO for the first time, create a character and walking around Trinsic with no idea wtf I was doing, I stumbled upon a dog and miraculously figured out how to tame it, rename it something like "Buddy" and Buddy and I venture along the road north into the wilderness, I have a candle in one hand and a newbie dagger in the other with Buddy in tow when I make it a about half way between Trinsic and Britain. All of the sudden two guys who were hidden reveal themselves, one to the left and one to the right of the road just south of the crossroads, both wearing jester's hats and wielding heavy crossbows. One says "Your money or ur life lol" and I begin to type out an explanation that I have no money, that I'm new, that...

They one shot me.

My screen goes black and white, I'm a ghost. I see Buddy charge at one of the PKs and start to auto attack him, then one PK shoots my NPC dog with his heavy crossbow and they "lololol" and run away.

My 12 year old ass is sitting there, staring at my pixelated corpse and my dog's carcass and I think to myself "That was awesome, I'm getting a crossbow."

Day 1 Rallos Zek Launch Blackburrow/Qeynos Hills PVP, there was so much chaos and awesome I can't even recount the events. Everyone says EQ PVP was bad, but there was something special about it, especially when banded was the most OP armor going like a week in. It was like prison except Giant Snake Fangs and Rusty Battle Axes instead of shivs.

#3.

Darkfall server launch, for the same reasons as above.

Basically, every time a pvp game was fresh, new, newly launched, and Somalia-like.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
I remember my father started to play this game a lot in late 1999 (EQ) and I would always pull up a chair to watch him play. The whole idea of a massive world that in a lot of ways functioned like real life was so damn enthralling to me in 4th grade. I loved watching his group of engineering buddies and him group up in Rathe and kill Hill Giants, I had never (don't think anyone did) seen anything like EverQuest, shit was amazing. I remember being bribed that if I did my homework, my parents would let me play on my own account. So I was like fuck tag football during recess, I will do my homework and go be a virtual legend right when I get home!

The game really honestly taught me a lot especially from a social aspect, the veil of anonymity from being online allowed me as a 11-14 yr old to play with people who were far older and more mature than I was, something I would never be able to do in real life at that age. I was fascinated with the EC tunnel, I found myself during my first year of playing EQ spending the majority of my time just trading and chatting with people. Learning how to turn fine steel longswords and shit into Platinum Fire Wedding Rings and what not, just from simply bartering. MMOs just like networking in real life really showed me the importance of getting to know people, people are easy to deal with the more you know about them.

EQ was so immersive that you really could become something special in that game, I really miss the sense of "World" that you received from EQ. As far as WoW, I played in a Top progression guild throughout MC-AQ in vanilla and it was awesome being cream of the crop. Vanilla was a phenomenal game, when it was actually somewhat of an MMO.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I remember my father started to play this game a lot in late 1999 (EQ) and I would always pull up a chair to watch him play. The whole idea of a massive world that in a lot of ways functioned like real life was so damn enthralling to me in 4th grade. I loved watching his group of engineering buddies and him group up in Rathe and kill Hill Giants, I had never (don't think anyone did) seen anything like EverQuest, shit was amazing. I remember being bribed that if I did my homework, my parents would let me play on my own account. So I was like fuck tag football during recess, I will do my homework and go be a virtual legend right when I get home!

The game really honestly taught me a lot especially from a social aspect, the veil of anonymity from being online allowed me as a 11-14 yr old to play with people who were far older and more mature than I was, something I would never be able to do in real life at that age. I was fascinated with the EC tunnel, I found myself during my first year of playing EQ spending the majority of my time just trading and chatting with people. Learning how to turn fine steel longswords and shit into Platinum Fire Wedding Rings and what not, just from simply bartering. MMOs just like networking in real life really showed me the importance of getting to know people, people are easy to deal with the more you know about them.

EQ was so immersive that you really could become something special in that game, I really miss the sense of "World" that you received from EQ. As far as WoW, I played in a Top progression guild throughout MC-AQ in vanilla and it was awesome being cream of the crop. Vanilla was a phenomenal game, when it was actually somewhat of an MMO.
Man, you were just a pup when EQ came out.
smile.png

I was a senior in college, just bought a brand new computer and was looking for a video game to play. My friend said, "I heard about this game called Everquest in Rolling Stones magazine. It's supposed to be just like Dungeons and Dragons except in a 3D world." So I bought it that day, spent almost 48 straight hours playing it, and pretty much kissed a majority of my social life good bye for the next 5 years.

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
I had a fair few fun moments, but one stand out (as well as some of the stuff Jysin mentioned regarding Darkwind) was the day we (Coterie Nocturne) transferred servers and there were Darkwind and Eternal Wrath? (it's years since I forget). Day 1, no guilds up yet and we were in Karnors just finishing of the ghost dude (with our usual 15 or so people). Darkwind and Eternal Wrath (and maybe the French guild - something Justice?) turn up, bicker amongst themselves in /occ then get a little pissed when they realise they missed thee bss anyway so are talking about going to Trakanon...waste of time, we'd already killed it heh. That first day we killed every single boss from under the much larger guilds noses, fun stuff.

No hard feeling though, I eventually joined Darkwind when CN imploded.

Oh yeah, I also remember killing blow on the final dragon in that Kunark dragon zone (was it Kunark? the one with no exit apart from at the very end) when my Mistwalker scimitar procced
smile.png
I loved that scimitar!

Just as I was starting (us Euros got it a bit later than you Americans but) I was on CT server originally and I was lost as all hell but I distinctly remember some guy selling a full suit of Rubicite in GFay, no idea why that sticks in my mind.

Mistmoor castle, non-kos in wolf form was great stuff, I really enjoyed lesser fay, killing the fairies.

Camping lord/eye/hand/frenzy and starting to hallucinate we played that long heh.

Telephone bill at the end of my first month of EQ (back then it was pay/minute ouch!)

Lots of fun ones along the way.

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
Veeshans peak! had to look it up.

Also, blowing all my dkp on an amazing sword upgrade in the PoP expansion, then next zone better dropped, then better again and I had fuck all dkp left
frown.png

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
AFK soloing frogs in Plane of Earth for overnight AA using the uber long range arrows and bow and an autoclick macro (frogs were out of aggro range so you just plinked away at them, couldn't loot though). Worked in Plane of Water for a while too