Fondest Memory of MMOs

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
(and maybe the French guild - something Justice?)
Justice Divine.

(just swap the two words for the english translation)

Not the best liked guild among the french, but it managed sometimes to get stuff done.
Telephone bill at the end of my first month of EQ (back then it was pay/minute ouch!)
The friend who brought me back my box from the US had a first month bill when he came back in France of over half of his monthly salary. He played... a bit less the next month.

Salshun_sl

shitlord
AFK soloing frogs in Plane of Earth for overnight AA using the uber long range arrows and bow and an autoclick macro (frogs were out of aggro range so you just plinked away at them, couldn't loot though). Worked in Plane of Water for a while too
Charm kiting Plane of Storms frogs. I can't imagine how many of those I killed, the number would probably scare me.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
It wasn't exactly difficult, but I remember being super happy when I finished my Burning Rapier.

Rogue quests were good quests.

Paladin Quests though...

To this day, every time they ask for random questions about quests, I ask if the second half of the Holy Partisan of Underfoot quest even existed at any point; no response. Spent so much fucking time scouring lavastorm and other zones to try to figure out how to re-magnetize that bitch. I had some hope when they fixed the Blued Hammer quest. All hope abandoned after Lavastorm was revamped and still no sign of the wandering priest.

Give me my damn dwarf holy polearm ye bastards.

As aggravating as the broken quest chains were, there was something magical about when you actually finally connected the dots and completed one of the obscure quests... 2-3 years after the expansion had been out. A lot of Kunark quests only got completed years later, since the clues weren't in [brackets]. There was a phpbb forum dedicated to trying to figure that shit out.

Rombo

Lord Nagafen Raider
First time i ran with selos drums or something. Moving around on a bard and cutting travel times for my buds was so sweet. That and the classic : finally, theres the fuckin ancient giant for my jboots.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Justice Divine.

(just swap the two words for the english translation)

Not the best liked guild among the french, but it managed sometimes to get stuff done.

The friend who brought me back my box from the US had a first month bill when he came back in France of over half of his monthly salary. He played... a bit less the next month.
Oh Justice Divine.. they were the punchline of so many AB jokes. I still have a screenshot or two of DW pulling NToV dragons overtop raid corpses of JD.

Blackyce

Silver Knight of the Realm
1) Playing UO on Siege Perilous server and going to the Lich Lord tomb in The Lost Lands/TSA expansion. I played Anti and that spot was so sweet for gold, and magic weapons but was always being raided by PK's. Getting my guy on Siege Perilous to 100 Smithing.

2) Playing AC on Darktide, so many GREAT experiences there. Again I played Anti with my original guild making it's home in Yanshi. I can actually still remember creating my character on Darktide and logging in for the first time. Always looking over my shoulder, doing everything I could not to die in the newbie dungeon just outside of town. Defending that town pre-20's then finally growing up and hitting the Lugian Citadel and Olthoi Horde nest. I rolled a pure melee stat character and I can remember the day I was finally able to cast VI protections on myself. Took me so long and put so much XP into my magic skills.

Have so many other great memories as well. My first Atlan Weapon and running to the Crater to get it made. Being scared shitless because if you were PK'd you'd drop the mote nugget needed for the NPC in the crater to make your weapon. Getting a Lighting Atlan Stone with my guild in the Lighting dungeon. The day the Vaseyan Ilses were added to AC on Patch day. Brute forcing the portal spell for the Vaseyan Ilses and being able to hunt the undead there.

It was all about leveling up being part of some really great guilds. I made friends there I still have today, 15yrs later.

3) Playing DAoC - Leveling up a Shaman to his early 20's and realizing he was crap so I went and re-rolled a Dwarf Runemaster. Waiting for a spot to open for me in Spindelhalla. The first time in the Frontiers we met, the ENEMY. Camping the Albion milegate with my Hunter. Being the first realm and on the raid on Bors to take the first keep then relic. The day Hibernia struck back with 200+ players hitting our frontier and decimating Midgard, taking all 9 relics. Legion raids in Darkness Falls. Killing newbs on my hunter in DF until I was found and finally killed.

I have a few memories from WoW, but nothing much in comparison to all the great memories I have from UO/AC/DAoC.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Getting your entire guild keyed for Ony. Remember how fun that was? Before they allowed you to do all the dragon quests at once? And no mage in party!

Guys....

Goatface

DAoC, me and some friends moved over to the pve server after midgard's pop dropped to stupid lows. one sat was an open raid on the alb's epic dungeon, my friend who's main was a paly was going to miss the start of the raid, so i told him i would box him till he got on.

like 70+ people show up, i get shafted and end up with a partial group without a healer/buffer, so i bring in my shaman too. now i am tri-boxing over dsl, but it is a zerg and really doesn't matter much.

we end up in a large room with everyone hugging a wall as it is full of high level trash and roamers. pullers were trying to time it just right to only get a few at a time and everyone is just standing around watching the roamers slowly going by on the other side of the room. don't know why, but i move forward just a tad and in slow motion i see my shaman, who was still on follow, warp to the middle of the room and run back.

the chain agro was crazy and caused a huge lag spike as everything in the room, hall and in adjoining area start moving towards us. within 5 seconds, half the raid is dead after that was a epic fight. in the end, me, paly bot and about a dozen other people were still standing.
1 person had seen my shaman start it, but luckily they were ignored in chat.

incadenza_sl

shitlord
Competing with alliance guilds for Kazzak and Doomwalker at the beginning of TBC. The drama that ensued was great, GMs banning our MT and all kinds of shennanigans. Even though it could never be on par with what EQ was back in the day, I never got to experience that and I feel that was the closest I'll ever get. Things were still so muddled and there was a certain sense of wonder like there was something more going on in the world. It's all about finding that niche of players to enjoy it with though.

Grizzlebeard_sl

shitlord
To this day, every time they ask for random questions about quests, I ask if the second half of the Holy Partisan of Underfoot quest even existed at any point; no response. Spent so much fucking time scouring lavastorm and other zones to try to figure out how to re-magnetize that bitch. I had some hope when they fixed the Blued Hammer quest. All hope abandoned after Lavastorm was revamped and still no sign of the wandering priest.

Give me my damn dwarf holy polearm ye bastards.
Not just me then.
biggrin.png

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Completing Innoruuk's Curse (SK epic) after literally camping 101 ashenbone drakes + other nonsense. And then getting the killing blow on Lhranc (yes I still remember his name) because my guild -way- underestimated what a quadding lifetapping asshole can do to tanks and he basically blitz'd through the tanks in my guild and it was a slaughter until we realized what he was doing and myself and a couple of paladins/SKs pulled shit back from the brink(with the help of two enchanters runing the shit out of us). This was -right- after Velious opened, so no cool new abilities or anything else, just my camps and shit finally ending and Fright (CT was camped for almost a full year before epics were introduced on Druzzil) finally dropped my sword. Oh, and I ate something like 20 DTs in Sky getting the blade of abrogation. Literally got every warrior in the guild a wingblade for their epic before my BoA dropped. My next kill on an ashenbone drake also dropped a hide. Grats second tier SK! During my frequent Sky raids, I completed the pegasus hide belt, which was a top tier haste item for... I don't know, over a year?

Being literally one of two people alive for the server third kill of Vaelestrasz (you know the locking bug that existed. FU FURY) and -resisting- the explosion that my burning affliction should have ended me. Had 3x the dps of the entire raid put together by that point, haw. And of course, the gate didn't go up. Luckily the priest that also survived was able to get everyone standing so we could all be pissed as a collective. Yay Medivh! The first/second/third kills all happened within an hour of each other, due to the obscene queues that existed with the advent of BWL coming live. I believe it was Ascent/Fury/Vindication(us) during that timeframe. Us hordies (Ascent/Vindi) got locked out while Hackfury got to move forward. Hilarious. Ascent killed Vael while we were killing Razor, largely due to 2/3 our raid-worthy force being locked in a 2hour+ queue. Medivh was hardcore. Fury haxed so f' em.

Getting my kraken's club in FFXI as a DK and then being instrumental in destroying so many NMs in a short period of time. Then we hit JoL and I said "Nope, thanks" and quit that day. Fuck broken ass encounters.

After Vael/Rag in WoW (I played much further, got some server firsts in Nax2.0 and Uldum) nothing else really stands out. Granted... the strongest and most fondest memory of any mmo ever is of course:

h
You attack Xon Quexill.
You MISS!
Xon Quexill hits YOU for 291 points of damage!
You are DEAD!
LOADING... please wait.

Plaid_sl

shitlord
1. When I thought I had tricked the game out of dying by unplugging my computer when I was not going to be killing the griffon I was attacking.
2. Attacking a banker my first time playing because he would have lots of money.
3. Getting rejected from my friends guild because my gear was shit but I had recently started playing constantly. A month later I was in Fennin Ro's top guild with better gear than said guild's leader. At that point I had followed him around a couple times spam Hailing him. He did his best to ignore it.
4. Being woken up at any hour of the night by a phone call, rallying the guild to kill cursed before competition had a chance to kill it the next day.
5. Getting the server first gate talisman in PoP. Gating on command as a paladin was fucking awesome.
6. The team dedication of WoW 5v5 arena. Seasons 1-3. Also selling arena points.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
I was in BR but I joined just as Brahma was leaving and I stayed in BR pretty much til the end of vanilla.

Playing on the Horde PvP team was good times. Nothing like playing BGs 6+ hours a day to help someone hit HWL. It was a great tight-knit group of Horde and Alliance PvPers back then before cross-server BGs ruined that community.

"Sapped at farm!"
Khama here by the way and I wasn't even going to reply to this thread. Yeah what Brahma did was fucked up (literally killing BR) but at the end of the day it's just a game. No hard feelings on my end. I helped formed Blood Reign in EQ on Veeshan server. Our guild leader Ailar left us for FoH. During that time FoH was sniping all the top Veeshan players. We got word he was planning on leaving but when we asked him of course he denied it like the coward he was. So one day he makes a post on our forum blah blah that he's joining FoH. So Brahma, Enkil, Evildoer and myself formed Blood Reign. Brahma made an orge war named Gmok and myself a troll warrior named Khama. We had members like Garbhad, Allycia, Fantasy, Kaplan, Jugular, Orladin, Dremus, Calac, Darizra, Dionysus, Ragurok, Wiggens, Gitano, Yurian, Kaerel, Kypreos, Soren, Kleo, Kithkanin, Toona, Lazzari, Kioti and Splok. I know I'm forgetting a few EQ players like a bard that could twists songs like crazy. To me those were the best times of my MMO gaming playing with people like that. Gaming was so much fun back then. We butted heads with Furor in the plane of Hate several times. Had Samurais come into our Fear raid to KS Cazic Thule but watch them fail. I joined War Council and met many great people like Soda, Teriel, Sutam, Ainian and Num. Many of us kept in touch, moved to WoW were we formed Blood Reign on Zuljin. Soon as the servers went live we formed BR and I made a troll rogue named Khama. Was good at first the the drama (Brahma drama as some coined it) began and it went all down hill from there. I guess the interaction with other players what made it for me. Doubt I'll ever have that experience again.

Rime

<Donor>
The first time I was blinded in EverQuest. I thought my monitor was on the fritz, so I unplugged it and plugged it back in a few times.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
The first time I was blinded in EverQuest. I thought my monitor was on the fritz, so I unplugged it and plugged it back in a few times.
Similarly EQ became a very lonely place one day I got really upset that ALL my friends and guild stopped responding to me, to include tells. Logged off for a few hours and on return decided to help some new players so I went to Unrest, started asking in chat if anyone needed help etc, again zero responses which was really weird as you don't turn down help from a high level, I remember feeling shitty. Finally some one used /say and said "I think your chat filters are turned off." Well shit I somehow managed to turn off most of my chat filters. Was a glorious day to be apart of the game again, very different game when you have zero interaction with the community.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I thought exactly the same and started slapping that bitch of a CRT on it's side. Then I grinned like an idiot when my vision came back and I read that I had been "blinded". I thought it was pretty damn cool!

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
The first fabled event was pretty memorable for me. Loved being back in Lguk for the first time in like 3 years. Had maybe 4 alts all parked down in Frenzy Along with my buddy quad boxing and me double boxing all in Elemental/Time gear for something like 20-25 hours straight until we got everything we wanted on our alts. Felt like a boss having my lvl 48 warrior with ffbss and a fabled yak/BoC combo.

Pyratec

Golden Knight of the Realm
Being a part of Ascent for the world first Ragnaros kill was simultaneously my best and worst memory. I played EQ on Rodcet Nife and always wanted to be a part of Ascent and be able to kill all the big bad guys that they took down. I just wasn't willing to dedicate the time that their raiding schedule required. When WoW came out, I decided to sacrifice my social life in pursuit of the pixels. I joined up with them from day one of WoW and was soon max level and raiding. We obviously had a ton of wipes on Ragnaros and it just wasn't coming together, when the sons spawned we just couldn't handle them. Then someone in the leadership decided to just stack rogues and try to down him before the sons even spawned. I played a mage and was asked to leave the raid to make room for another rogue. They then proceeded to kill him while I sat outside the entrance to Molten Core listening on Ventrillo. So while it was fucking awesome that my guild got a world first on a significant boss like Ragnaros, I was extremely bummed that after all the wipe reps I put in I had to sit out for the actual kill.

Some good memories from EQ as well, like others have posted before, my first char was an erudite wizard. I ventured out into Toxx at night, got completely lost, died to a giant skunk or something equally embarassing, and had no idea where my corpse was. About 10 deaths later while searching for my corpse I gave up and rerolled a halfling druid and ended up playing that char for about 3 years or so. I know I'm probably looking back on that experience with some seriously rose tinted glasses on, but there was just something magic about EQ that no game since has managed to capture for me. Just like a junkie says, you're always chasing that first high and I think that's the effect at work on me here too.

Paranoia

Trakanon Raider
killing Lady Vox for the first time, Downing Darathor, raiding for the first time in an mmo (eq2)...after that it was all about server first or WW first. nothing else mattered.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I did actually like EQ2's item tracking. The game would actually track if you "discovered" an item on the server or worldwide first and you could see these totals on your player profile. Even the crafter junkies could get some kind of recognition for their work.