For All Mankind

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Orbital mechanics are really hard even for the very smartest people to think about.
What I meant was when they showed the cables going to a hard point I assumed they were pulling the mass, not pushing. I recall they have an ex-astronaut on board for the science but maybe he was out drunk that day?

Goatface

they hand-waved the whole process of de-spin. would think they would had to surface mount many engines to do that.
1700537642005.png

cable anchors are like 8"-12" in loose rock, whole thing didn't seem right. don't recall any scifi ships pushing asteroids, without very scifi tech.

anyway, episode 3 was announced to come out on wed, don't know at what time.

velk

Trakanon Raider
What I meant was when they showed the cables going to a hard point I assumed they were pulling the mass, not pushing. I recall they have an ex-astronaut on board for the science but maybe he was out drunk that day?

The asteroid isn't solid; if you push it too hard from one side, it will spread out, and the center of mass will change.

The cables are to try and make it hold the same shape while being pushed.

Goatface has got the real point there though - the asteroid just coincidentally being stably oriented with the direction they want to push it is completely unbelievable. There doesn't appear to be any plausible way to apply torque with the attachment they had either.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
The asteroid isn't solid; if you push it too hard from one side, it will spread out, and the center of mass will change.

The cables are to try and make it hold the same shape while being pushed.

Goatface has got the real point there though - the asteroid just coincidentally being stably oriented with the direction they want to push it is completely unbelievable. There doesn't appear to be any plausible way to apply torque with the attachment they had either.
The big 'net ' they used in 'The Expanse' to pull the asteroids seemed more realistic is all.

Hell as long as it's entertaining I don't really care.

velk

Trakanon Raider
The big 'net ' they used in 'The Expanse' to pull the asteroids seemed more realistic is all.

Hell as long as it's entertaining I don't really care.

You can't really pull something with a rocket though - the exhaust hits whatever you are pulling, which pushes it away from you.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

They didn't pull in the Expanse, they pushed with ships for some. On others, they actually fitted the asteroids themselves with boosters.

1700640352704.png

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Fires of Heaven, the whole stupid tech guy who is his own worst enemy was so frustrating. That whole storyline is dogshit

• 1Like

Goonsquad Officer
I read speculation once that the easiest way to farm asteroids will be to bomb them on one side, which makes a heat patch which pushes the rock into a gravity well. then you go catch it there and cut it up. it wouldn't be fast, but it'd be cheap.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Fires of Heaven, the whole stupid tech guy who is his own worst enemy was so frustrating. That whole storyline is dogshit
That guy's constantly pursed/sour mouth makes me want to punch him every time I see him on the screen

• 1Solidarity

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
They didn't pull in the Expanse, they pushed with ships for some. On others, they actually fitted the asteroids themselves with boosters.

View attachment 501485
I thought there was a father/son belter crew who was dragging an asteroid and the father kicked the kid out of the ship so he could ram a ship with an asteroid in a net.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
And just now finding out he's British makes me want to punch him MORE.

Why? Because British actors can do convincing American accents with ease, whilst American actors can't do British accents to save their life? LMAO

• 2Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

I thought there was a father/son belter crew who was dragging an asteroid and the father kicked the kid out of the ship so he could ram a ship with an asteroid in a net.

Oh that flashback scene with Diego. I went back and rewatched it and it did seem like they planned to pull it, although they pulverized the asteroid inside a net so it was fragments instead of a whole asteroid.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Season just not clicking for me, don't like these storylines.

• 1Solidarity

Goatface

reddit trying to figure out how rich Kelly should be, ranges from a few million to billions.

mining is not that exciting. not mining is less exciting. finding water or some type of life might be interesting but nothing like previous seasons. they said this season would be 1st to get into true scifi so maybe they will find little green men or a stargate.

was looking around for mining asteroid stuff and found this.
dsi was a real company formed in 2013, that was looking into mining space stuff, don't know if they ever did anything other than put out some concept art.
sjw9dKZqfEqYKUsDxomPnS.jpg

1700752063490.png

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
IDK what happened to the writers with this show.
Season just not clicking for me, don't like these storylines.
It's terrible.

EDIT: I will say that previous seasons 2 and 3 also started off weak. It's not impossible for them to turn this around, but I don't see a path to it.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
IDK what happened to the writers with this show.

It's terrible.

EDIT: I will say that previous seasons 2 and 3 also started off weak. It's not impossible for them to turn this around, but I don't see a path to it.
I don't remember every season, but I do remember last season was pretty fucking terrible. In fact, one of the complaints I saw here constantly was that it was about 5 minutes of cool sci-fi or alternate history, and the remainder of every episode was boring manufactured drama that no one asked for.

Haven't started this season yet, but I don't know why anyone would be surprised they're sticking to the same formula. Season one was the aberration.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
reddit trying to figure out how rich Kelly should be, ranges from a few million to billions.

mining is not that exciting. not mining is less exciting. finding water or some type of life might be interesting but nothing like previous seasons. they said this season would be 1st to get into true scifi so maybe they will find little green men or a stargate.

was looking around for mining asteroid stuff and found this.
dsi was a real company formed in 2013, that was looking into mining space stuff, don't know if they ever did anything other than put out some concept art.
View attachment 501662

View attachment 501663
and look at that , they are pushing it, with cables. Wow