Fortnite - Epic Games - Team Survival/Strategy/Crafting/Combat

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
The Rifts shrink the map much more than the karts. The kart speed seems fine to me, it's very easy to hit people in the kart, got many kills on kart drivers yesterday.

But the Rifts totally shrink the map, in our Duos Faille and I rifted 2-3x while the storm was closing in, removed all of the risk tbh.

---

Video highlight of our best run... was the funniest run tbh. 4 Revives I think total.
Remember Faille had 300+ ping being an Aussie and I'm NA East.
Also no mics (I was trying to use mic but then it stopped working apparently, or Faille muted me)
We got to top 6 (4th place)... just needed to get past the last Duo and we probably would have won. The final duo had twitch.tv in their names. Try-hard sweaty kids most likely.
Also Faille never builds lol :D

I start the vid after we loot up from nightclub, cut out the boring first 10mins of no action.

Also after I die my game shrinks and gets all f'd up, had to restart it... no idea why that happens, some windows 10 shortcut maybe?

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

faille

Molten Core Raider
were sopme great games. ping wasn't too bad but I would get micro stuttering / lag in the close quarters which meant I generally came off second best.
Being bait was quite effective though as ravishing chalked up the kills!

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Anybody else having mic issues? No matter what I did last night I couldn’t hear nor could anybody hear me talk but it worked fine on discord.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
750,000 Fortnite viewers on twitch right now.

What.
The.
Fuck.
Is.
Happening.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Until the voice chat is fixed this game is dead for me. Ton of posts on it with no response from Epic. Really annoying.

Tauntworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not trolling at all here or trying to shit on those who enjoy it. Have played this game and can't understand the hype whatsoever. Is this a social phenomenon that's occurring or am I just the sole shitlord who doesn't get this game genre? You know, Fortnite is right place, right time, and because Ninja somehow garnered 100k+ viewers, it's forced every other streamer to get on board & ride the wave? What keeps you guys invested? Srs question. Also are you solo playing for the most part or queuing w/ buddies?

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
If not for the hype I probably wouldn't have picked it back up.

However, I do get enjoyment out of it because it's a "mostly" stress free environment. I love the constantly changing map. It's like diving into an MMO map for 20mins except there's no character progression.

And of course there's the PvP which I've always gravitated toward.

If not for fortnite I'd probably be playing Overwatch or League of Legends still. But I've already invested years into those games, so FN is a nice change.

I'm 99% solo player btw.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Not trolling at all here or trying to shit on those who enjoy it. Have played this game and can't understand the hype whatsoever. Is this a social phenomenon that's occurring or am I just the sole shitlord who doesn't get this game genre? You know, Fortnite is right place, right time, and because Ninja somehow garnered 100k+ viewers, it's forced every other streamer to get on board & ride the wave? What keeps you guys invested? Srs question. Also are you solo playing for the most part or queuing w/ buddies?

Feel same way, I can’t understand this games popularity for the life of me.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Feel same way, I can’t understand this games popularity for the life of me.
The game has an extremely low barrier to entry and is highly social. It runs on a potato and everyone is talking about it.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
It runs on a potato and everyone is talking about it.

The fact its on the unreal engine and can run on everything is quite amazing.

Remember the people that made unreal tournament came to FN and created the BR mode. From what I remember the Unreal games were always resource hogs.

ValkyrieIATD

Silver Knight of the Realm
Reasons why Fortnite is popular:

1) It's free
2) It's on just about every major platform imaginable
3) It has a massive but steady skill curve...
4) ... but it's still wildly enjoyable even if you aren't skilled
5) It's constantly being updated and evolving
6) There's no pay to win
7) It doesn't take itself too seriously
8) It combines a fresh new game genre (Battle Royale) with the basic mechanics of Minecraft, which an entire generation of kids has grown up with and understands.
9) The building mechanic is unlike anything seen in a competitive multiplayer game before. It fundamentally changes combat in a way that's skillful, creative and exciting.
10) The art style is easy on the eyes and kid-friendly
11) It's very good for streaming, both in terms of the pace of the game and the visual fidelity.

Love it or hate it, it's here to stay. Fortnite will be played at a highly competitive level for many years to come. Millions upon millions of kids are having their formative gaming years shaped by Fortnite. It's borderline primal at this point.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Reasons why Fortnite is popular:

1) It's free
2) It's on just about every major platform imaginable
3) It has a massive but steady skill curve...
4) ... but it's still wildly enjoyable even if you aren't skilled
5) It's constantly being updated and evolving
6) There's no pay to win
7) It doesn't take itself too seriously
8) It combines a fresh new game genre (Battle Royale) with the basic mechanics of Minecraft, which an entire generation of kids has grown up with and understands.
9) The building mechanic is unlike anything seen in a competitive multiplayer game before. It fundamentally changes combat in a way that's skillful, creative and exciting.
10) The art style is easy on the eyes and kid-friendly
11) It's very good for streaming, both in terms of the pace of the game and the visual fidelity.

Love it or hate it, it's here to stay. Fortnite will be played at a highly competitive level for many years to come. Millions upon millions of kids are having their formative gaming years shaped by Fortnite. It's borderline primal at this point.

Pretty much this. Out of those I'd say the main driving factors are almost zero barrier to entry (free/can run on average PC's + consoles), quick matches (10-15 min average) and the uniqueness of the combat. Love it or hate it, the building aspect changes the dynamic apart from anything else on the market. If they took building out of the game, I'm fairly certain it wouldn't even be a quarter as popular as it is now because then it's just another shooter like everything else. The battle pass is one of those things where you wonder how is it possible other games had not figured out the sweet spot of FTP/paying for cosmetics by now.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Pretty much this. Out of those I'd say the main driving factors are almost zero barrier to entry (free/can run on average PC's + consoles), quick matches (10-15 min average) and the uniqueness of the combat. Love it or hate it, the building aspect changes the dynamic apart from anything else on the market. If they took building out of the game, I'm fairly certain it wouldn't even be a quarter as popular as it is now because then it's just another shooter like everything else. The battle pass is one of those things where you wonder how is it possible other games had not figured out the sweet spot of FTP/paying for cosmetics by now.

Also add to the list:

NO RANKING SYSTEM
= Everyone plays together
= No stress to do well
= no e-peen stroking among friends
= all friends can group up together without restriction
= cool moments to be killed by (or kill) a popular streamer or very good player

I posted previously that maybe an MMR system should be added. I'm still on the fence about it. Personally I'm at the point where I'd like to have one. But maybe it'll never happen, and I'm still ok with that.

Regarding Battle Pass: it's amazing how a lot of PVP/Competetive games refuse to add "missions". FortNite doesn't give a shit, they do it. It does add some chaos the day new missions are released, but people just go with it since there's no MMR crap to worry about. Maybe you get a few days where Risky Reels is swarming with 100s of players, but whatever, it doesn't effect any sort of competitive integrity or whatever bs other games parrot for not implementing missions.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Also add to the list:

NO RANKING SYSTEM
= Everyone plays together
= No stress to do well
= no e-peen stroking among friends
= all friends can group up together without restriction
= cool moments to be killed by (or kill) a popular streamer or very good player

I posted previously that maybe an MMR system should be added. I'm still on the fence about it. Personally I'm at the point where I'd like to have one. But maybe it'll never happen, and I'm still ok with that.

Regarding Battle Pass: it's amazing how a lot of PVP/Competetive games refuse to add "missions". FortNite doesn't give a shit, they do it. It does add some chaos the day new missions are released, but people just go with it since there's no MMR crap to worry about. Maybe you get a few days where Risky Reels is swarming with 100s of players, but whatever, it doesn't effect any sort of competitive integrity or whatever bs other games parrot for not implementing missions.
I’m sure they already utilize some form of MMR but keep it hidden (for the reasons you outlined). It’s anecdotal, but when I play solo or with good players on my team my performance varies wildly. When I play with my terribad friend we consistently finish in the top 10.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I’m sure they already utilize some form of MMR but keep it hidden (for the reasons you outlined). It’s anecdotal, but when I play solo or with good players on my team my performance varies wildly. When I play with my terribad friend we consistently finish in the top 10.

There's no way, and it's easy to prove tbh. You can easily see the WIDE range of skill levels by watching streamers, and even the Friday FortNite tournament. MMR matchmaking would break Friday FortNite imo.

You can easily watch a good streamer and start looking up the players they kill and see big rating differences.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I just don't care for the INSTANT BASE OUTTA NOWHERE building mechanics.

That's just me.