Forza Horizon 4

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Didn't see a thread for this one. Demo is out on the Windows 10 store and Xbox Live with the full game coming out the 28th for preorders and officially on October 2nd. It's a play anywhere title so if you buy it digitally you can play it on both your PC and Xbox. About an hour worth of play on an Xbox X on a 4k OLED and it is pretty impressive. Game looks gorgeous and they took an if it ain't broke don't fix attitude it to the game play. Forza Horizon 3 with the Hot Wheels Island expansion is probably my most played Xbox game and I normally hate racing games; this is almost more like an open world racing RPG only instead of random battles it's stunts, speed traps, billboards to break and stunt combos. Demo is around the 28 gig mark and has a surprising amount of content to it just waiting on the my PC to finish downloading it to see how it compares to the console.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
microsoft running a really great deal for new xbox users, pay $100 and get a year of xbox game pass (FH4 will be included) plus FH3 and Forza 7 to keep
Get the Best Deal of the Season for Xbox Game Pass and Forza Games - Xbox Wire

since new first party games will be included with game pass its a pretty sweet deal. I've got FH4 ultimate on pre order disc, gonna redeem the digital codes and trade the disc since I have 3 years of game pass prepaid, then i'll have the gamepass base game and the car pass/VIP package plus install from disc to save some bandwidth

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Hrm I might have to bite. I'm not a big fan of racing games, but I have put in some hours for Forza Horizon 2 since it was free and enjoyed it immensely and I've been getting a half dozen+ hours out of a bunch of random games from gamepass.

• 1Like

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Never played a Forza for more than a few minutes before, but I couldn't resist checking this one out since it has all my favorite Lotus models in it.

Load times seem ridiculously long. Granted I didn't install it to my SSD because I wasn't willing to give a demo 28GB, but taking several minutes to load the game or the benchmark seems insane. And then once I get in I run into problem #2, it doesn't want to work with my DS4 at all. The game recognizes it and it kind of works, but it's like every button and stick has a massive deadzone. Can't turn more than a few degrees, ABXY buttons only work occasionally, stuff like start/select don't work at all, etc. I rarely have to mess with DS4Windows anymore since Steam started supporting DS4 natively, but it does still work perfectly in all my GOG/non-Steam games.

I wish every game had a benchmark this robust. I was rather amazed that the autodetect actually chose a mix of settings that hit a steady 60-75 fps @ 2560x1080 and I didn't even have to mess with a bunch of stuff myself. Not that I can play the game, but if I could I'm sure it would be great.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
No, you just get a couple shirts unlocked for use in the release version. There's very little content in the demo to carry over anyway.

Finally got my DS4 working (for some reason it works if you load the game then hide and unhide it in DS4Windows settings) and tried it out. Game itself is still pretty much unplayable, getting lots of stuttering and hitching along with bugs like the road disappearing entirely. Seems to be a fairly common issue based on what I saw on reddit. Not to mention that the settings for everything above Low are completely broken on PC (confirmed by the devs) so even if the game played like it benchmarks and didn't stutter at all it would still be impossible to judge whether or not the final version is worth buying.

spronk

FPS noob

demo is up on xb1/PC, ultimate edition is available in 7 days (fri) with regular 4 days later

embargos are lifted, some review sites are streaming the game now too

• 1Like

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Game's unlocked for the digital preorders. It looks like you have to unlock Autumn (~1 hour of play) for multiplayer co op and a few other features to be available.

• 1Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
So all digital preorders are unlocked not just ultimate? Xbox store says it still isn’t releasing until 10-2 for the others. How about gamepass?

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Watching a German stream was epic. He got to a barn and found an old rusted out car. “ Yum yum yum!” The only thing I understood.

spronk spronk Do I have you on Xbox friends list? Are you playing this all weekend? I have a gaming weekend and may have to bite.

Last edited:

spronk

FPS noob
yeah i'm picking up the game in ~2 hours (physical copy install, switching to digital gamepass version on tuesday) will be online a lot playing this weekend. xbox GT is just spronk i don't really look at my friends list and stuff too much

my understanding is ultimate launches today and regular launches 10/2 (tue) and the gamepass version is the one that launches tue, but I dunno for sure.

gonna be weird driving on the wrong side of the road i tell you what

this is a screenshot from a PC in 4k how the fuck is this not real life

znzXrZw.png

uu6N7NJ.png

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Will be jumping into this tonight after work on my pc - probably going to move the gaming rig into the living room to hook up to my 4k OLED. Should be able to push the game to the max going by the digital foundry analysis. Excited to see how it looks on my system.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
38 gig install from disc + 22 gig day 1 patch for xbox

lol you can earn 6k xp/hour watching anyone stream FH4 on mixer.com, you earn 15k xp/hour if you stream it yourself (pc or xb1 I assume). The future of gaming is here, just keep a tab open to audio only 24x7 and you'll earn ~1m xp every 3 days apparently. XP doesn't really mean that much past a certain point in any of the forza games, just more wheelspins and stuff, so I don't think its a huge deal but it is kinda funny

one way i guess for microsoft to fight twitch, incentivize to stream on their own streaming platform

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Am I missing the point of this? If I buy a car game its to race. This looks like a mini-game from Grand Theft Auto. Yes, it's pretty. But, what do you do, exactly? I remember Gran Tourismo and sinking a hundred or two hours into RACING. Licenses, used cars, new cars, trophy cars, modding, adjusting all the parameters of suspension, transmissions, etc. Is Forza not that sort of game?

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Am I missing the point of this? If I buy a car game its to race. This looks like a mini-game from Grand Theft Auto. Yes, it's pretty. But, what do you do, exactly? I remember Gran Tourismo and sinking a hundred or two hours into RACING. Licenses, used cars, new cars, trophy cars, modding, adjusting all the parameters of suspension, transmissions, etc. Is Forza not that sort of game?

You can still do all of those things, but it also has lots of just drive around and explore as you go from race to race.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ahh, well I guess I didn't see that. If that's the case then it sounds pretty expansive as a game. Racing and open world.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>

Here I will take a shot at this. Mind you, it's free with gamepass at 9.99 on Tuesday. People playing bought the ultimate edition which includes tons of cars, VIP car pass and events, and the two seasonal DLC's.

It's an open world racing game with lots of fun things to do. I will list what I know of but I am sure there are more.

1) Racing. You have off road racing, street racing, racing against other players on the fly, and also against AI.

2) Stunt driving. In this game, in the demo, you are hired by a movie director to perform stuns for their movie. Jumping over trains, jets, breaking through barriers, going through fire, etc. It's all pretty hilarious fun. It is more than just what I described as they always have very original "Holy shit" moments throughout the game.

3) Speed traps. Trying to go as fast as you can in a car to get clocked as fast as possible.

4) Barns. Part of the game is trying to find other cars hidden in barns. Which you then get to drive later and alter and play with.

5) Car customization is ridiculous. You have an enormous amount of flexibility in not only how your car drives, but how it looks. Paint jobs, decals, tires, rims, license plate, all the way to how the horn sounds. And tons of options on where you want that placed on the car. You can also share those with other players.

6) Demolition. Part of the fun is going around destroying things. For example, to unlock fast travel without paying money you have to knock down all the specific bill boards.

7) In this game, seasonal changes with Spring, Fall, Winter and summer - all each having their own driving mechanics.

8) Coop and online play is fantastic from racing to just messing around trying to destroy each other.

There is a TON of content I am missing ,Just when you think you have seen everything, there is something new from a game play type perspective.

Forza 3 Horizons is free on gamepass, so if you have an Xbox One, S or X, or a PC with Windows 10 you can get gamepass and play it to see if you like it.

Once I played Forza 3, I hate to say it but I kinda fell in love with it. Not so much yet if I am going to blow 99 on it to play this weekend, but it comes out Tuesday otherwise for Gamepass. For 9.99 for a month, you can play quite a bit of it (And everything else included in GP)

I would say give it a shot if you like anything to do with racing in other games. There is a lot of narrative. It's kind of like you are the guest star in a fast and furious movie without the movie drama plot and just the fun. The game looks gorgeous as well. And the racing gets VERY addicting.

It's also just a very cool and casual game to jump into and screw around in.

Seasons will be fantstic this time around. Ice turns to water and back and forth and open up new places on the map to race on and explore. And all the gameplay options open up over time. I lost 3 hours once just customizing a car to look like a Viking football hemet lol it was awesome.

Radio stations as well. For example: With the Hot Wheels DLC (Epic) you drive hot wheels cars on stunt tracks and some of the scenarios are hilarious. Like dodging a T-Rex.

In this version, they even have a Halo level lol

• 1Like

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Once I played Forza 3, I hate to say it but I kinda fell in love with it. Not so much yet if I am going to blow 99 on it to play this weekend, but it comes out Tuesday otherwise for Gamepass. For 9.99 for a month, you can play quite a bit of it (And everything else included in GP)

Same and I was not a big fan of racing games. The last one I played in the genre was the original gran turismo outside of stuff like mario kart.

• 1Like