Forza Horizon 4

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Game just opened up. So much fun now with tons of more stuff to do. Drag racing rocks. Even more fun than even before which was fucking fun!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
be sure to download my Trump design for the 1962 Triumph TR3B car

2kMQZ0u.jpg

• 5Like
  • 3Worf
Reactions: 7 users

spronk

FPS noob
switched from X to PC before going to bed, it copied my X save from the cloud seamlessly and it ran exactly where i left off. obviously looks completely stunning on PC on a gSync monitor at 120 fps with maxxed out FOV, sadly no HDR on my monitor.

biggest tip I'd give for people new to forza horizon is after you buy a car, don't just start driving it. Go into tunes and find a shared tune that is high grip and speed. Its the difference between feeling like you are driving a car on ice and having the cars tires suck the road like a crack whore with no teeth. Generally the 4-5 star tunes are gonna be good. Don't S2 class all your cars, instead I find 6-7 cars I like and tune them for A, B, C, S1, S2, X classes each and favorite them so I can jump around easy depending on the race. Plus a good offroad truck.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

YxxanYxxan

Lord Nagafen Raider
Ngh... This game is getting so good reviews + the praise here. Ended up getting the Ultimate edition for my ultrawide pc setup :)
Downloading now!

• 1Like

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
biggest tip I'd give for people new to forza horizon is after you buy a car, don't just start driving it. Go into tunes and find a shared tune that is high grip and speed. Its the difference between feeling like you are driving a car on ice and having the cars tires suck the road like a crack whore with no teeth. Generally the 4-5 star tunes are gonna be good. Don't S2 class all your cars, instead I find 6-7 cars I like and tune them for A, B, C, S1, S2, X classes each and favorite them so I can jump around easy depending on the race. Plus a good offroad truck.
Even before you buy the car(s) you want another good tip is to check the auctions instead. Trying to win an auction is mostly an exercise in futility, but the buyout prices are often much cheaper than the 'retail' price. Like for the Maserati GT-S I am getting right now--it's like 152k normally, but auction buyouts are 86k. Just don't get suckered into buying DLC cars (they're free for DLC owners, and non-owners can't buy them at all) or the ones from barns (go get your own). And don't forget to buy all the Formula Drift cars, they're free DLC even for us Gamepass peasants and even if you don't like the cars it's still seven more that count towards car collection XP.

I did manage to win one auction as a test, but it was down to pure luck and playing at 4AM. And even then I lost like 10 others before saying fuck this shit. It's like Ebay 1.0 rules, with an interface that is too slow to snipe effectively.

Edit: And right after I say that I won a Lotus 3-Eleven auction for 19k instead of paying 150k normally. Still, it requires too much babysitting when you could be playing the game instead. I'm really tempted to buy the VIP package to avoid this damn credit crunch caused by having to save for the 5M house.

Edit 2: Anyone else have a USB headset, specifically the Sony Gold one, and have it work? The game crashes for me just after the Turn10/MS splash screen every time I try to load it with the headset connected, but works fine when I switch back to my speakers that get audio from the DisplayPort.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Good tip about the auction, think I did that a bit in the last game when I went into car collector mode.

So far I've just bought the Rally Fighter because I love that thing. There was a Local Motors garage across the street from my last job, love the whole idea of buying one and having to build it.

Haven't played much, almost to the winter showcase.

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>

Thanks for this! I have been using one car for dang near everything. Hah.

spronk

FPS noob
be careful about auction cars, there is a ... bug? where the car mastery points get sold alongside in the auction. For most cars its not a big deal, you'll lose out on 1-2 wheelspins or whatever, but some cars - the Lambo Miura, Nissan R390, few others - you can actually unlock a super car by spending enough mastery points. If you buy a car used, you can't spend those mastery points so you can't get the FE/etc car yourself. Not a big deal for most cars, but it kinda sucks right now since you can't tell whether a car has been jacked or not before you bid on it.

The car mastery thing is sorta hidden away in car tuning so don't forget about it, you get tons of mastery points just doing regular stuff and you can get free wheelspins from pretty much every car spending points. Great way to boost cash/car counts.

The AH is great though, I made about 2m credits yesterday just buying BMW FE's for $200k and reselling them instantly for $500k. Then again, money comes by so easily in the game its kinda pointless.

Vorph

Some useful stuff on reddit:
ProTips on how to level up quickly in FH4 (Per a level 150 player) • r/forza

I wouldn't spend $3 on cheater DLC when you can just use one of these maps instead if you get tired of hunting for boards or barns (some of those fuckers are hard to find even if you zip around with the retarded drone that can't actually hover more than a few feet off the ground):
Forza Horizon 4 - Interactive Map by SwissGameGuides (Nice looking site, but woefully incomplete)
Forza Horizon 4 Signs, Barns, Radars Map | kudosprime.com

Some barns won't be accessible until the server-side season hits autumn or winter, but you can apparently go offline completely and change your PC's date to get them early. Supposedly it sometimes unlocks the weekly DLC cars early too if you have the season pass. Not sure if it works on Xbone too. One barn is also gated behind buying the 10M credit house.

Anyone else using a DS4? My right stick is super sensitive, trying to figure out if it's a deadzone thing that should just be fixed in DS4Windows or if there's a setting in game that I missed.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Activated the free 2 week game pass trial through Windows 10 to check this out and it's pretty good. Runs pretty damn well for a UWP game as well. Getting 120-160 fps on pretty high settings

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 1Like

Vorph

It runs good for me too, when I can get the game to start. Plug in USB headset: instant crash (found quite a few reports of this happening all the way back to FH3 since they used the same shitty launcher thing then too I guess). To get my DS4 to work I have to load the game then Hide and un-Hide DS4 Controller in DS4Windows settings. However, just like with the USB headset, sometimes when the controller is plugged in the game will crash 100% of the time either right after the Turn10/MS splash or when Press Enter to Start first appears in game. I end up having unplug and plug it back in and maybe change the USB port its using in order to get the game to launch again. It's not a "do this then this then this" thing to fix it either, more like trial and error as I load and crash the game 4 or 5 times before it finally works. At least the DS4 does eventually work; my headset is 100% unusable even though it works perfectly with every other game.

Then the game finally loads and it runs well--especially on SSD which dropped load times to well under a minute compared to multiple minutes in the demo--but after a few hours there's a leak or something and it starts stuttering like crazy, failing to load the ground textures, etc. I have to restart the game and/or reboot the PC, and then I'm back to square one above again. Lots of network problems too, and even though I have no interest in multiplayer I still prefer to play online for the Forzathon events, and simply because random people populating the map is far better than having Drivatards out there. The devs realized humans would troll each other so they made you ghost through other players' cars, but Drivatards have no such limitations and constantly fuck up my attempts to do jumps, speed traps, etc. when I'm forced to play offline.

I like the game a lot but I'm definitely glad I got it from Gamepass and didn't pay full price. Still tempted to get VIP though. No idea what Spronk is talking about re: credits being easy. Saving up 5M for the house is horrible and that's just the beginning since you need at least 30M more after that. IMO even if I had VIP saving up 15M (x2) for the rest of the houses would still be an awful grind (unless you get lucky with super spins and win back most of what you spend, and that still won't help with the castle iirc). Nevermind actually wanting some of the really expensive supercars like the Lykan. I"m doing the stuff in that tips & tricks post I linked yesterday, like farming tons of skill points and then spending them on the free drift cars to get 300k credits from each but still, it's a long slow grind to get credits in a 'normal' way.

Last edited:

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
It runs good for me too, when I can get the game to start. Plug in USB headset: instant crash (found quite a few reports of this happening all the way back to FH3 since they used the same shitty launcher thing then too I guess). To get my DS4 to work I have to load the game then Hide and un-Hide DS4 Controller in DS4Windows settings. However, just like with the USB headset, sometimes when the controller is plugged in the game will crash 100% of the time either right after the Turn10/MS splash or when Press Enter to Start first appears in game. I end up having unplug and plug it back in and maybe change the USB port its using in order to get the game to launch again. It's not a "do this then this then this" thing to fix it either, more like trial and error as I load and crash the game 4 or 5 times before it finally works. At least the DS4 does eventually work; my headset is 100% unusable even though it works perfectly with every other game.

Then the game finally loads and it runs well--especially on SSD which dropped load times to well under a minute compared to multiple minutes in the demo--but after a few hours there's a leak or something and it starts stuttering like crazy, failing to load the ground textures, etc. I have to restart the game and/or reboot the PC, and then I'm back to square one above again. Lots of network problems too, and even though I have no interest in multiplayer I still prefer to play online for the Forzathon events, and simply because random people populating the map is far better than having Drivatards out there. The devs realized humans would troll each other so they made you ghost through other players' cars, but Drivatards have no such limitations and constantly fuck up my attempts to do jumps, speed traps, etc. when I'm forced to play offline.

I like the game a lot but I'm definitely glad I got it from Gamepass and didn't pay full price. Still tempted to get VIP though. No idea what Spronk is talking about re: credits being easy. Saving up 5M for the house is horrible and that's just the beginning since you need at least 30M more after that. IMO even if I had VIP saving up 15M (x2) for the rest of the houses would still be an awful grind (unless you get lucky with super spins and win back most of what you spend, and that still won't help with the castle iirc). Nevermind actually wanting some of the really expensive supercars like the Lykan. I"m doing the stuff in that tips & tricks post I linked yesterday, like farming tons of skill points and then spending them on the free drift cars to get 300k credits from each but still, it's a long slow grind to get credits in a 'normal' way.

Believe it or not, you just need to do what to do. Checkout this video:

Vorph

That's pretty much what I am already doing. I don't play online and haven't joined a club, but even his improved rewards from doing so aren't as good as what I get when I focus on ranking up and take my Renault 5 FE to the beach. The beach gets boring fast though, and admittedly he would be getting a lot more out of normal events than I do. Not like I could change my mind about MP though, since this is what I see the vast majority of the time I'm playing anyway:

forzaonline.png

The biggest problem with spins being the primary source of credits is the obvious one: you have to be lucky. I had a decent streak with normal spins this morning and got 5 epics (160-200k credits) out of 6 spins, which was nice. But I also used all my super spins so far (~15) and haven't gotten a single credit reward higher than 40k. Those are mainly from houses and are supposed to help the house pay for itself, but instead I took massive losses. Didn't get any good cars either, just clothes, horns, and shitty cheap common cars.

• 1Like

Vorph

So, is everyone just completely unable to connect pretty much all the time? I've been online in game for about one out of the last twelve hours I played.

And speaking of luck, this is mine:
fuckyourngesus.png

spronk

FPS noob
i can connect to horizon live just fine on both X and PC, but trying to do any sort of ranked play never works with one person not accepting matchmaking breaking the whole thing. its weird.

maybe check your NAT settings, etc. If you are on windows install the xbox app from the w10 app store, run it, click on settings (gear bottom left), and network on the right side to see what it says. I think something similar in xbox settings on X.

I have 160 regular wheelspins, i'm too lazy to sit there and keep clicking spin :( also my dreams of being a auction baron were dashed, once you sell 12 items on the AH the game won't let you sell any more cars for at least 24 hours. i had the BMW 2005 FE market cornered for 4 hours and made like 4m credits.

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
That was me! Lol. I forgot to post it. Join up! :)

• 1Like