Fractured - The Dynamic MMO

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
Bah, I am probably going to shoot some money their way and hope it comes out nice.

If anyone becomes interested, I set up "Fires of Heaven" guild so to speak. (Makes it easier to find anyone from here)

Fractured - The Dynamic MMO

This could be a flame out, but I am intrigued.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
DYNAMISM
FULLY INTERACTABLE ENVIRONMENTS
Stuck between a clan of bandits and a raging river? Animate the waters to protect you, or freeze them over to cross to safety – then melt them to drown your foes! In Fractured, the natural elements around you can always be exploited to defeat your enemies, even when all hope seems lost.

Uh. Good luck with that.

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
Uh. Good luck with that.
I know it sounds like a highly technical feat, but Divinity: Original Sin did this mechanic years ago (and improved/expanded it in the sequel). Now, if they were promising permanent changes to the environment, then I’d be right there with you calling their bluff.

Even the claim that you could melt the frozen water to then drown your foes isn’t that technically difficult so long as you have a physics system that handles fluid volume changes. I’m not claiming it’s easy and that anyone can fire up Unity or Unreal and make a game with these systems, but their claims are far from unprecedented.

Edit: I dare say environmental interaction is what made D:OS’s combat so engaging and awesome. If these guys can imitate that in an MMO, it’s going to be at least successful enough to break even on development costs.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I know it sounds like a highly technical feat, but Divinity: Original Sin did this mechanic years ago (and improved/expanded it in the sequel). Now, if they were promising permanent changes to the environment, then I’d be right there with you calling their bluff.

Even the claim that you could melt the frozen water to then drown your foes isn’t that technically difficult so long as you have a physics system that handles fluid volume changes. I’m not claiming it’s easy and that anyone can fire up Unity or Unreal and make a game with these systems, but their claims are far from unprecedented.

Edit: I dare say environmental interaction is what made D:OS’s combat so engaging and awesome. If these guys can imitate that in an MMO, it’s going to be at least successful enough to break even on development costs.

I'd agree if it wasn't in an MMO environment. D:OS has/had the benefit of a controlled environment (minimal player interaction).

In my opinion, what makes this a distinguishable feat from something like D:OS is the sheer combinations of conditions, environments, and player's interactions with them.

Last edited:

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Doesn't seem that crazy.

It'll be "fully interactive"...but only in the few specific ways they've allowed.

While the ambition may be there, this is definitely how it would be released (if it ever does release).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
Well it closed with 112k Euro (met most of the stretch goals)

They will be adding the basic packages to the website soon, and Alpha 1 is supposed to be later this year.

It looked interesting to me, but if I get burned no biggie....I know the goal seemed small.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
Just a quick follow up, if anyone is interested at all.

Small studio (8 people I think) ... out of Italy

Raised about 300,000 euro to date and is in Alpha 2-1 .

Current road map going into 2-2 in Feb.

Alpha tests are limited and very basic, so far just harvesting and building the same house over and over. (Few open world encounters, using basic gear)

Again, not saying it will be anything but it has been interesting the last year watching them add things. (Me not knowing anything about game design, etc)

Of course, it could all blow up...but they seem to have good intentions.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
Another follow up...slow but steady

Alpha 2 test 2 today for a couple weeks....
Adding parties and guilds, etc.

• 1Like

BubbySoup

Golden Knight of the Realm
Didn't Istaria have something like this? I can't remember it's been so long. I'm pretty sure they had unreachable areas at the start where players had to craft or do something as a team to get to them - maybe build bridges or something? It didn't stop the game being shit but it is still going in some form.

• 1Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Didn't Istaria have something like this? I can't remember it's been so long. I'm pretty sure they had unreachable areas at the start where players had to craft or do something as a team to get to them - maybe build bridges or something? It didn't stop the game being shit but it is still going in some form.

Yes, and no. Things like buildings and bridges were always there in some capacity. They did not show up graphically, or have collision detection on however. Once the players donated enough to those projects, then it would just "turn on." I liked it for it's time, but no.. you didnt just "freeze" a river over with a spell.

Its an interesting thing to "tout" indeed. I just dont see where we have the data transmission capacity to handle anything intensive like that.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player

Free test for any registered user on May 28th.

If you want to see the progress, and try it out a little.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
Free play for anyone registering starting tomorrow. (Through the weekend)

Caution: It is a true alpha test.

• 1Like

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I know what I will be doing when I get some free time this week.

1590682925074.png

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
The number of unlockable abilities in this game is pretty impressive. Really cool to see this many, especially during an early alpha test.