Fresh Off the Boat

Pants_sl

shitlord
I've hated every sitcom on network TV since probably Seinfeld, and I like this show. The brothers have funny banter out of left field and the dad is hilarious no matter what he says because his voice is just comical. Mom is pretty hilarious these last few episodes as well. I think what I like most about it is the jokes are not just standard sitcom faire; they seem somewhat original

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
9eps in, i just FF to all the mom scenes, should just have the whole family fall off a cliff and have her move to LA to be a trophy wife.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
9eps in, i just FF to all the mom scenes, should just have the whole family fall off a cliff and have her move to LA to be a trophy wife.
Dunno why they felt the need to cast her so young since 40 year old asians look basically the same but the actress playing the mom is 26. Since the actor playing the son is 11, guess she had him at 15?

That said, I'd fuck her.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Eddie Huang (narrator, and who it's based on) doesn't watch the show? wtf

RICH HOMIE HUANG ?@MrEddieHuang
For the record I don't watch #FreshOffTheBoat

I'm happy people of color are able to see a reflection of themselves through #FreshOffTheBoat on @ABCNetwork but I don't recognize it.

My only goal was to represent my Taiwanese-Chinese-American experience & I did that. We also proved viewers want diverse content so make it!

I had to say something because I stood by the pilot. After that it got so far from the truth that I don't recognize my own life.

I don't think it is helping us to perpetuate an artificial representation of Asian American lives and we should address it.

My relationship to hip hop & back culture rose from being the victim of domestic violence. It's not a game. That music meant something to me

My grandma had bound feet, my grandpa committed suicide, HRS tried to take us from my parents. That shit was real.

I've watched his series on Vice, listened to a few of his interviews, but man, he's really coming off as just "sum dum fuck".

Even i watch his horrible show, and admittedly his character is the worst, ha, it's a sitcom what does he expect? It's on the same network as Modern Family, ABC is looking as progressing as any network since BET.

I've spoke out against this show since airing, i really don't know why ppl like, it's a typical American Sitcom and they sprinkle some MSG Chinese dust on it once in a while in case the slanty eyes didn't give it away they weren't white. If it wasn't for Constance Wu carrying this entire show on her back it'd be intolerable.

I mean god dam
rrr_img_95503.jpg

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I don't know anything about that guy (Eddie Huang) but I agree he seems like a moron based on the above-cited blurb. Says that the show (a SITCOM) got too far from the truth, but then says the truth consists of bound feet, domestic violence, and suicide. Sounds like his story would have worked better as a drama than a half-hour comedy.

Personally, I enjoy the show as a somewhat-funny diversion that I watch before bed. It's not hilarious, but every episode gives me at least a couple chuckles, which is more than a lot of comedies can manage.

Neph_sl

shitlord
I remember this song being dirtier. The line 'and in a 69 my humpty nose will tickle your rear' is probably the worst, so I guess I've been desensitized since this song came out in 1989.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Jessica and Honey need to fight every episode. That scene had me rolling
Having caught up on this horrible show, it really should only be about Jessica and Honey flipping houses! I still can't stand the rest of the family, especially Eddie.

Neph_sl

shitlord
I wouldn't call the show horrible and it definitely isn't the greatest thing on TV. But I still find it pretty amusing for the most part. Also, what's wrong with Eddie?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Also, what's wrong with Eddie?
He doesn't do anything for the series, whereas shows like "everyone hates chris" or "boy meets world" or "wonder years" would not work w/o the main character and pov, he isn't that.

Hell, Eddie (the real one) doesn't even narrate any more this season, probably b/c he hates the show, even tho he's a producer. Or maybe that's just a credit he gets since, you know it's based on his book/life so as long as the show goes on he'll get producer cred.

Here to confirm, his acting cred as narrator stops at s1
Eddie Huang - IMDb

I mean look at the screen time, the kids, the school almost seemingly get zero screen time, like the opposite of the screen time w/ "malcom in the middle" more like a chinky "married with children"

i mean if bud went away in "married with children", the show would still be the same, he doesn't add value to that show and here, while Eddie has more of a presence, his POV is strongly getting diminished.