Fucking gaming laptops!?!

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I bought a Sager/Clevo 8150 with a 6990M a little over a year ago and have loved it. It's not going to compete with a top-end desktop, obviously, but it gets the job done on all the games I've thrown at it (Skyrim, BF3, etc). Also, their engineering is very DIY-friendly. I've swapped out the fans, changed the bay configuration, and a few other little things and it's super easy.

http://www.powernotebooks.com/

Edit: Looks like the model numbers are different now. Pick whatever base you like and configure from there.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
This is the only option far as I'm concerned these days.

IMG_0068.jpg

Omayga

Lord Nagafen Raider
I've got an Asus G74 and I can vouch for how cool they stay. The fans vent out of the back of the chassis and ontop of being extremely quiet it has yet to get hot in the 18 months I've owned it. When you lift it off a table or desk, its not even warm underneath. It was about 1500 dollars, so not top of the line, but for the money I think it was a pretty good deal, I haven't played anything on it yet that it hasn't been able to run with full graphics on if I wanted it.

I've heard good stuff about the Sager / MSI setups, but the airflow and not needing a cooler was what pushed me towards an Asus.

As far as keyboard and mouse goes, just plug in an external one, unless you really like the cramped chicklet keys on most laptops. If you have a bag big enough to fit the laptop, it can also fit a standard size keyboard. 20" bags or backpacks work fine.

The Razer / Titan / Alienware setups are visually good looking systems but damn, they want an arm and a leg for those machines. If you are fine with dropping several mortgage payments at one time on a laptop then look there as well.

XoticPC has some nice listings of Asus / Sager/ MSI setups on their website, its where I bought mine and I think they did a good enough job that I would recommend them to someone else

redbandana

Molten Core Raider
Asus G73JH owner here and have had no problems with it for a couple years that I've had it. Runs everything, stays cool. Just got my son a used Asus G60vx and that is a nice one too. A little bit smaller at 16" but pretty powerful.

Buck naked

Trakanon Raider
To toss my two cents in, Cyberpowerpc does a good job making gaming laptops. I've bought several computers and laptop's from Cyberpower, and never had a issue, they all work great. However, if you are looking for customer service, or just basic human dignity don't bother calling or buying from them. I don't believe a single non douche bag works there, hell even the janitor that cleans the fucking place is an asshole. That being said, those assholes make a hell'a nice computer for cheap tho.

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I wish I knew about CyberpowerPC when I bought my last notebook.

They look to be about $400 - $500 cheaper than Alienware or Asus.

crimsonsin_sl

shitlord
Wifes G72gx, had it forever, its a bit scuffed but works fine for modern games even with the gtx260m. I bought a cooler master coolpad, ditched the cruddy 15 cfm fans and attached my own 200mm 100cfm case fans and then spliced them to an old 12v 650 ma modem power supply I had lying around. Drops her temps by 20 degrees under load:
rrr_img_34994.jpg
rrr_img_34995.jpg
rrr_img_34997.jpg

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
MSI G Series GT70 2OC-065US 17.3-Inch Laptop (Black)

61TCggrBYjL._SL1000_.jpg
Thats what I bought last Oct for my traveling PC, and its been able to handle everything I've thrown at it wonderfully. In 9 months of use there are 2 annoying aspects to it, nether related to gaming. 1) I really don't want the keyboard backlighting on 99% of the time. You can disable it, but if the thing goes into sleep mode, they come back on every time. Super minor, just annoying. And 2) Google Chrome crashes here and there, displaying an error message. I looked into it, and its an issue with the network driver in this particular laptop, with some aspect of chrome, and there is currently no fix. Now, if you don't use chrome its no big deal, and even for me, who uses it extensivly, sometimes I go days with no chrome crashes, and sometimes I have 10 in a day. More often than not, its 2-5 times a week with fairly heavy use.

Those are the only two things about it I don't like. If you can get a good price, its a really solid machine (ohh yeah, its heavy as fuck too.) I picked mine up for $1200 on Newegg, and it came with a really nice laptop backpack for free (was usually like $150 bag).

Hope that helps you!

P.s. I've not done any benchmarks or anything for PC games, but the windows index gives it a 7.3 for gaming graphics if that helps. Like I said, while I haven't thrown anything crazy at it, every game I've played has been on max settings, with all options enabled, and its worked just fine.

Leviothan

Trakanon Raider
Those Razer Blade laptops are trash. I run performance on multiple different gaming laptops at my job and the Razer Blade is the only one that I can't complete stress testing. Running 3D Mark and Prime 95 on that thing and its tempt hit 136 degrees farenheit and it turns off around the 1h20min mark.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Also, lol at the Alienware laptop with such a reflective screen that it mirrors the overly excessive lighting on the keyboard.
I have one and I will echo this statement. The screen is every bit as reflective as it appears to be in that pic.

ASUS G series. Just do it.

Leviothan

Trakanon Raider
If you can get over the reflective screen, I think the new Alienware laptop series are fantastic laptops. They have outperformed competitor laptops in almost every benchmark I've run and the quality that goes into the design is impeccable. I don't like the lack of a DVI port, however.

Dookiefart

Silver Knight of the Realm
If you can get over the reflective screen, I think the new Alienware laptop series are fantastic laptops. They have outperformed competitor laptops in almost every benchmark I've run and the quality that goes into the design is impeccable. I don't like the lack of a DVI port, however.
Yeah they are wayyy expensive!

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
ASUS all the way and Alienware is ugly as shit and over priced
Great-power.jpg

gokuub13_sl

shitlord
Love my asus g75vw compared to my old toshiba which had terrible out-of-the-box overheating issues. however, the asus has some awful sound problems that have yet to be resolved (to my knowledge). with that said, the sound isn't that big of an issue to me because i just use headphones most of the time.