Funny, Strange, Random Pics

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Did the guy actually die? Someone in the comments mentioned that there's an article saying the guy in the green Ortiz jersey was arrested.

Edit: Nevermind, guess not. Said they were all minor injuries, and the 2 guys arrested were out on $1,000 and $4,000 bail.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
1. ST was written as a novel to make money. Anything interesting about it is a reflection of Heinlein's philosophy that if he was interested in something, somebody else probably would be to and therefore would buy his book. Characters do not reflect the author's views on anything, they reflect the characters views. It wouldn't have been at all realistic to have book where everyone thought it was the best idea ever and signed up and as such the book probably would not have done as well. As for Heinlein himself, his only comment when asked about it was that he thought the society would probably do very well in the right circumstances, but that without experimental confirmation of at least a few generations it was just an opinion.

2. I fail to see how this matters to the premise of Starship Troopers. Our currently military is nothing like the the one in the book, in terms of technology, structure, doctrine, etc., nor is the background society very similar.

3. Again, fail to see how this matters. Starship Troopers is 100% volunteer and will take anyone, as long as they can understand the oath. No military anywhere ever has been designed like that.

4. No... volunteer force. You can't possibly argue that the "left" implemented the draft and then argue that a 100% volunteer force would be an "extreme left" idea. No. In fact the book is roundly criticized in a number of circles for being unrealistically libertarian, which is about as far "right" as it gets.

5. Again, not relevant. Starship Troopers is a 100% volunteer force. No drafts. No possibility of a draft ever happening.

rrr_img_48692.png
Most of what you said is wrong. Even your own image contradicts your definition of libertarianism. And I'm not going to deal with literalists.

rrr_img_48693.jpg

The Master

Bronze Squire
It is unfortunate you have chosen the path of self-deception. I was using quotes around "left" and "right" for a reason. Hence the picture. It was subtle. Like a bat to the head.

rrr_img_48694.jpg

If you cunts are going to ramble on, in one long, incredibly unbroken sentence, moving from topic to topic so no one had a chance to...

post a fucking picture and actually contribute something to the "Funny, Strange, Random Pics" thread!

Make-It-So-Logo-Quicksand-Test-2011.04.21.gif

rrr_img_48699.png

rrr_img_48698.jpg

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Most of what you said is wrong. Even your own image contradicts your definition of libertarianism. And I'm not going to deal with literalists.
Pure voluntary forces are considered right/libertarian in slant. Left believes in compulsory service because it does not discriminate based off of social standing, wealth and other social inequalities (In theory). So, for example, in a voluntary force the people that go to war are usually impoverished, disenfranchised aspects of the country that are promised benefits--the point is, government can't MAKE you go if you get fuck all personally out it. While in compulsory service, Bill Gates kids would serve right along with the Wallace from The Wire (Which has a crazy side effect of the people in power NOT being so quick to continue wars, because it's different when your son is about to get his balls shot off as opposed to the poor asshole that made your fries today. Unless it's hopelessly corrupt like the Vietnam draft).

Don't confuse anything with "military" in it as being "right wing". Some of the largest armies ever have been run by lefties.

rrr_img_48703.jpg

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Pure voluntary forces are considered right/libertarian in slant. Left believes in compulsory service because it does not discriminate based off of social standing, wealth and other social inequalities (In theory). So, for example, in a voluntary force the people that go to war are usually impoverished, disenfranchised aspects of the country that are promised benefits--the point is, government can't MAKE you go if you get fuck all personally out it. While in compulsory service, Bill Gates kids would serve right along with the Wallace from The Wire (Which has a crazy side effect of the people in power NOT being so quick to continue wars, because it's different when your son is about to get his balls shot off as opposed to the poor asshole that made your fries today. Unless it's hopelessly corrupt like the Vietnam draft).

Don't confuse anything with "military" in it as being "right wing". Some of the largest armies ever have been run by lefties.

rrr_img_48703.jpg
That wasn't what I was arguing, I was agreeing with your point, that compulsory service was leftist, despite the fact that most of the people who seemed to think it was a good idea were self-identified conservatives. Did you read the post he quoted? He just said that libertarianism was farthest right, which is not correct at all. He also says that service in Starship Troopers was voluntary, but it's really compulsory, assuming you want to be a part of their (meaninglessly) democratic society. I also don't think that the conservative reality of forced volunteering through economic hardship is particularly sensical either.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Back when the wife and I were just engaged I went to visit her during the 4th of July celebrations in Philly. I remember looking across the water at New Jersey and being fascinated that the sky was literally orange as opposed to normal collage of colors. Her comment was, "Yep, that's Jersey."

rrr_img_48708.jpg

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Back when the wife and I were just engaged I went to visit her during the 4th of July celebrations in Philly. I remember looking across the water at New Jersey and being fascinated that the sky was literally orange as opposed to normal collage of colors. Her comment was, "Yep, that's Jersey."

rrr_img_48708.jpg
relevant

rrr_img_48709.jpg

Jais

Trakanon Raider
I stopped reading Mist's jazz once she(?) claimed we had no drafts before 1917. Unless there's some arbitrary difference between draft and conscription.

Jais

Trakanon Raider
I think I remember explaining to Mist how we spread recycled tire mulch across the 4th Batt. obstacle course in order to raise the floor instead of lower the bar for female USMC recruits during my Team Week. I'm not sure that sunk in.