Funny, Strange, Random Pics

All that "futuristic" gear and you use a Colt 1911 as a sidearm? 9 rounds of 45 is what you want? Seriously?

This is the early 21st century.
I hear you, but who is to say it's not a double-stacked 1911?

I mean... It is from the future. Why can't it just be a futuristic handgun on the 1911 platform? Use your imagination!

Oblig:
rrr_img_48614.jpg

moontayle

Golden Squire
The war of the rebellion was nearly entirely about slaves, and nearly every reason you've ever heard pointing to not slavery was never mentioned until after the war when a bunch of cranky, bitter, rich old bigots embarked on a massive PR campaign.
Truth. I forget which state it was that did it but one of them even explicitly said in their letter of secession that it was about their right to own slaves.

Oblig:

rrr_img_48620.jpg

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
ALSO, we don't even have selective service right now. We have a selective service registration program in case we ever DO have selective service
This is what you call playing semantics game.

Under current law, all male U.S. citizens are required to register with Selective Service within 30 days of their 18th birthday. In addition, non-U.S.-citizen males between the ages of 18 and 25 (inclusive) living in the United States must register. This includes permanent residents (holders of Green Cards), refugees, asylees, and illegal immigrants.[2] Foreign males in the United States as lawful non-immigrants (international students, visitors, diplomats, etc.) are not required to register.[2] Failure to register as required is grounds for denying a petition for US citizenship. Currently, citizens who are 17 and 3 months old can pre-register so when they turn 18 their information will automatically be added into the system.
Wakandan dick.

rrr_img_48621.jpg

As for civil war, it was my belief that slavery was the core issue of the war and it was ultimately the disagreement between the North and the South that ignited the war over the course of couple decades. Slavery was essential for southern identity, even if they did not own any.

And I am not even sure if the secession was illegal, as Lincoln so proudly preached.

Ignoring what a little structure, a little getting-out-and-seeing-beyond-your-city, a little No-*THIS*-is-what-being-poor-is; ignoring what all those things would do to/for fresh highschool grads...

Imagine the economic and humanitarian output that would be generated by the US having a system similar to the Swiss and some of those other Foreeen count-ries. Where every young adult was Required to serve 2 years in something.

I'm not saying everyone would or even should be forced through the Army. If the military isn't your thing, then you can go do Red Cross, Habitat for Humanity, Disaster relief; whatever. (non-profits would sign up and be screened to make sure they're not fringe nutjobs or fronts or blahblahblah).

But it'll never work. Merican's can't abide by being told what to do. <insert advert for a tasty tasty, ever so thirst quenching Coke-a-cola>
great idea but yuuuuuuuuup.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Exactly! I plan on pointing my AR15 directly at the M1A1 Abrams sight port when they come to draft me! I am sure that will intimidate them all to hell!

M1A1_Abrams_gunner's_primary_sight.jpg
Exactly. You just proved my point. At the point where you have to devote more resources to forcing someone to do what you want, than resources you will get OUT OF THAT PERSON, your cause is already lost.

Callous_sl

shitlord
Hoss, please enlighten me. What was the Civil War about?
Prior to the Civil War, this nation was referred to astheseUnited States of America. Each state was an individual, self-governing entity, the nation was a democratic republic; leaders were democratically elected, but the stats as a whole formed a republic. The federal government prior to the Civil War had little power, it was only allowed to do a few very specific things detailed in the constitution. There was no federal income tax, and they had not yet misconstrued the interstate commerce amendment to mean the fed can do anything it wants as long as it affects multiple states.

Declaring all slaves free was an abuse of power, it was not something that the federal government was authorized by the constitution to even do. The entire purpose of freeing the slaves was to strip the wealthy south of its economic power. The southern states recognized that the federal government had no authority to declare the slaves free, and decided that they weren't going to be a part of a union that doesn't even follow its own rules, i.e. the constitution. The federal government decided they would enforce their rule with violence, and it's a shame the north won because it has been a practice of the federal government to enforce its unconstitutional laws with tyranny ever since then. The federal income tax is unconstitutional, the federal reserve was voted in fraudulently, and the drug prohibitions are just now being recognized for the bullshit that they are as states are taking matters into their own hands.

Unrelated:
tumblr_mudt80ut291rnrrppo1_500.jpg

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
Exactly. You just proved my point. At the point where you have to devote more resources to forcing someone to do what you want, than resources you will get OUT OF THAT PERSON, your cause is already lost.
Welcome to the world of teabaggers.

rrr_img_48623.jpg

The Master

Bronze Squire
Even in the Starship Troopers world, Citizenship wasn't predicated on military service, military service was just one path to citizenship. Additionally that was not a selective service, all the characters we met volunteered for service. l2reference, bro
No, in Starship Troopers (book and movie) the only path to having the right to vote and potentially run for public office, being a citizen instead of a civilian, was volunteering for a minimum of two years of military service. Though yes it was completely voluntary. Also you didn't actually get the right to vote until after your service was completed, so career military were only voting in retirement. Very different idea.

rrr_img_48627.jpg

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
No, in Starship Troopers (book and movie) the only path to having the right to vote and potentially run for public office, being a citizen instead of a civilian, was volunteering for a minimum of two years of military service. Though yes it was completely voluntary. Also you didn't actually get the right to vote until after your service was completed, so career military were only voting in retirement. Very different idea.
Yep, Starship Troopers was Rome in space. The Romans had the same military ideal, you could not hold public office without at least 8 years of military service. We still find watered down echoes of that "sacrifice for the republic" in modern nationalism, it's one reason why it's a huge political boost to be a vet.

rrr_img_48644.jpg

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
rrr_img_48647.png
The southern states recognized that the federal government had no authority to declare the slaves free, and decided that they weren't going to be a part of a union that doesn't even follow its own rules, i.e. the constitution. The federal government decided they would enforce their rule with violence, and it's a shame the north won because it has been a practice of the federal government to enforce its unconstitutional laws with tyranny ever since then. The federal income tax is unconstitutional, the federal reserve was voted in fraudulently, and the drug prohibitions are just now being recognized for the bullshit that they are as states are taking matters into their own hands.
The Emancipation Proclimation was delivered after the war began. Before that, the movement to end Slavery was going to be done by changing the constitution with a super majority--which the South was fearful the northerners would get due to new states mostly not being slave states. The fact was, at the time of the war, given a few Southern states already opposed slavery, the North was precariously close to being able to amend the constitution.

Which, by the way, given the actual rules of the document--it had every fucking right to do. The South agreed to the rules upon entering, but then tried to take their ball and go home when those same rules were lawfully enforced upon them. After the war was started, all bets were off--appropriation of the property of seditious elements is a power well within the U.S., and really any governments, power.

rrr_img_48645.jpg