Funny, Strange, Random Pics

Defend_sl

shitlord
I agree with you. I wouldnt travel 500 miles for a car, but I do hit up as many dealerships I can within a reasonable range. The last 2 cars I bought, I show up with cash at hand, tell them what I want, what I want to pay, and spent the rest of the day working out a fair deal. I just bought my wife a car a few weeks back, and It was like pulling teeth. She wanted a new VW Jetta, so we go to the dealer with cash, test drive a few, find one she likes, and then make an offer. The guys goes "Nope!" and that was that. Not even the "let me talk to my boss" routine, or the "have you ever thought of leasing?" Just a big no, and let us walk out the door. Blew my mind.

rrr_img_94453.jpg
Car dealers also make more money if you finance vs. coming in with 'cash in hand'... I think we finally figured out what the problem is though, you're trying to buy cars where the company just isnt interested in wheelin' and dealin'. They do their research, figure what a fair price is and sell for that (the old Saturn model... and before you go off saying "exactly that's why Saturn is out of business" that has much more to do with not releasing a new model car for 12+ years than anything else).

I'd find it impossible to believe that if you went into a dealership with any sort of local competition that they wouldn't be more than happy to at least feign making a deal.

If so please do tell me where you're located so I can open up a dealership there!

Dis

Confirmed Male
Lots of people commenting that have no clue how the dealership world works. New Car Sales is the worst gross of the whole dealership business plan. Generally most dealership groups make at most $400 dollars per vehicle for popular vehicles. Sometimes depending on the time of year they may even take a loss on a vehicle just to squeeze in a sales figure in. So having said that, most (MOST) dealerships will not come off the price of a new vehicle.

Where the money is made on the front end of the dealership is used car sales, which can gross well above $1000-4000+ from a sell, and also the back end from Finance and Insurance (GAP, Warranty, Chip Paint/Tire protection warranty BS etc etc). Those generally have a max markup depending on whatever the state law allows (yes, there are state laws on how much a dealership can mark up certain things).

The biggest money maker however is the back end of the dealership, Service and Parts. CP (Customer Pay), recalls, Quick Lube are big gross. Anything done in a Quick Lube is very profitable for a dealership because QL techs get paid hourly, as opposed to actually certified techs in shops who get paid by tech hours. Parts, well, that is just highway robbery.

Jack - message me where you live, if we have a dealership near you I can pull invoice and get you what employee pricing would be for the vehicle you are looking for. Our pricing is cost+$300-holdback.

Xequecal

Trump's Staff
Toyota's don't deal, every dealership I have been to the price is the price and you get maybe the 500-1500 incentive and that's like the gods blessing you with mana from heaven if the gods Toyota decide to do that- Toyota = Apple in my mind, consumers suck their shit in like its all unique revolutionary and the best products known to man- blindly- and they don't budge on prices.
The last time I went to a Toyota dealership the agent I talked to not only pulled out all the cliche bullshit ("If it was silver you could have it for that price, but this is a premium color!") but when I left without buying anything he ended up stalking me for weeks. Even after I stopped picking up the phone he still left me another voice mail every day for like two weeks.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
We got our last car at Carmax. We walked in and one of the ten people standing around immediately stopped what they were doing to come greet us. They asked us if we were trading in a car, we said yes and she took off and put a numbered cone on our car. When she came back in we told her what style car we were looking for.

Their lot is great. It is broken up by type of vehicle. We drove 3 different cars and chose one. I went online and they were selling it for blue book value which was an okay deal. I looked at dealerships in the area and no one was selling it for nearly that price.

After we chose a car we went back in and she had an email at her desk with the trade in offer. That offer is good whether you buy the car there or not. She asked us like 5 questions and boom we had financing. No waiting 10 years like on my car which we bought new.

We were in and out in 2 hours with no haggling and we got a fair price and the financing was extremely competitive. I have bought 5 new cars in my life. I will never buy another new car. I am sold on Carmax.

http://i.imgur.com/UHYEowI.gifv

Kinner

Clear eyes. Full Hearts. Can't lose.
I will not be buying another Toyota vehicle.....every dealership that we go to, it is like pulling teeth to get the salesperson to talk to you. And what is the deal with people wanting to know how much you want to finance before trying to TEST DRIVE.....I just get up and leave when they pull that. The first time this happened, I just told the person we would be paying cash and her jaw dropped. A little backstory, my wife and I make good money, we are pretty decently well off, and I like to go buy cars dressed a little redneck just to see how people will treat me.

I also just leave when they pronounce my wife's name wrong 2x. I am a dick when it comes to car shopping. But if I find a good salesman, you bet your ass I will deal with him/her.

Car dealers also make more money if you finance vs. coming in with 'cash in hand'... I think we finally figured out what the problem is though, you're trying to buy cars where the company just isnt interested in wheelin' and dealin'.They do their research, figure what a fair price is and sell for that(the old Saturn model... and before you go off saying "exactly that's why Saturn is out of business" that has much more to do with not releasing a new model car for 12+ years than anything else).
Thats the problem though, I do my research too. Not only that, but I have a fancy electronic gizmo that connects me to the interwebs so I can check out pricing info in real time. I dont know if there are more stupid people than informed (though probably yeah, there are), and they bank on the fact that they can sell that same car to some tool for the full markup sticker price? I dont know?

Like I said, I have been out of the game. I have purchased 2 cars in the last 10 years, and both experiences were a massive departure to what I am having now.

rrr_img_94458.jpg

Dis

Confirmed Male
We got our last car at Carmax. We walked in and one of the ten people standing around immediately stopped what they were doing to come greet us. They asked us if we were trading in a car, we said yes and she took off and put a numbered cone on our car. When she came back in we told her what style car we were looking for.

Their lot is great. It is broken up by type of vehicle. We drove 3 different cars and chose one. I went online and they were selling it for blue book value which was an okay deal. I looked at dealerships in the area and no one was selling it for nearly that price.

After we chose a car we went back in and she had an email at her desk with the trade in offer. That offer is good whether you buy the car there or not. She asked us like 5 questions and boom we had financing. No waiting 10 years like on my car which we bought new.

We were in and out in 2 hours with no haggling and we got a fair price and the financing was extremely competitive. I have bought 5 new cars in my life. I will never buy another new car. I am sold on Carmax.

http://i.imgur.com/UHYEowI.gifv
Worked at CARMAX about 14 years ago through college. It is a very streamlined experience, salesman are also F/I managers with not only the vehicles being a fixed price, but the finance and insurance part is all fixed as well. There is some haggling going on in the background, the managers who work the financing part will either haggle to get you financed if you are borderline, or haggle for a better rate (which ultimately makes it more profitable for CARMAX because of the spread that is offered to the customer vs. what the bank was offering). Very easy process, BUT. Car dealerships have tried to emulate this to some degree, and it is widely a failure. For some odd reason people cannot accept the idea of one price, one hour type sales process, they want to haggle. /shrug

WHITE PENIS_sl

shitlord
It's been a while so I don't know if they still do it, but if you were a Costco member they had fixed prices with dealers that were lower than what the dealer quoted; no BS no haggling. It was worth the membership just for that aspect.

Siliconemelons

I can find almost any car cheaper than CarMax list price - their list prices are decent and their model is great for when you want a quick, less stress exp and get a "standard" deal- but if your willing to put some effort and time you can work to get an exceptional deal.

No car has ever driven off a lot where there was a "loss"- when I purchased my 36k MSRP Quest SL for 27k the sales men started to say something to the extent of "your getting a good deal and its below 'our cost'" because I wanted another 500$ for something or another and I looked at him and said "You are telling me "you" as in "this dealership" is not going to make money when I drive off this lot- yes or no" and I had a stair down and he knew not to bs me and he just said "no your right, we will make money off this sale" and I didn't get up and leave- because it was true, I don't care if you "show me" the invoice for the dumb thing was 30k and my trade was only in the green 2k- I knew I was going to finance through them and I knew I was going to buy the extended factory b2b and paint warranty so they where fine- I was still 6k or 7k below MSRP OTD. The best deal I could get with the 3 Nissan dealers close by me was 28k OTD (no warranty paint etc.) for a step down in trim model - and before you QQ about paint protection- the van was the same paint "Platinum Graphite" as my Murano- if a love bug looked at that car wrong it etched- so if that protection did anything great- if not- I have 5 years that they will fix it
smile.png

Used are even more fun...I have stories with all of them. The "This is the best price- really!" model will not work ever, because ITS NOT the best price

Worked at CARMAX about 14 years ago through college. It is a very streamlined experience, salesman are also F/I managers with not only the vehicles being a fixed price, but the finance and insurance part is all fixed as well. There is some haggling going on in the background, the managers who work the financing part will either haggle to get you financed if you are borderline, or haggle for a better rate (which ultimately makes it more profitable for CARMAX because of the spread that is offered to the customer vs. what the bank was offering). Very easy process, BUT. Car dealerships have tried to emulate this to some degree, and it is widely a failure.For some odd reason people cannot accept the idea of one price, one hour type sales process, they want to haggle. /shrug
Because these dealerships mark up sticker prices a little too much. Some dealers do a descent job of keeping the sticker price low. The VW dealer I was at had pretty descent sticker prices on new cars, small mark-up, but nothing big. I had cash, but they wanted $1000 more than I had and wouldnt budge. They said they would drop that $1000 only if I financed through them, but I wasnt interested in that.

The Toyota place on the other hand was at about a $4k markup on just the base model. Not only that, but they low-balled me on my trade in, which is a Toyota.

On a lighter note, I just went to a Jeep dealership today and they were super cool and treated my kid nice. I dont really want a Jeep, the Wrangler Unlimited's were nice, but not what I am looking for. However, i would much rather give a place like that my business.

rrr_img_94466.jpg

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Lots of people commenting that have no clue how the dealership world works. New Car Sales is the worst gross of the whole dealership business plan. Generally most dealership groups make at most $400 dollars per vehicle for popular vehicles. Sometimes depending on the time of year they may even take a loss on a vehicle just to squeeze in a sales figure in. So having said that, most (MOST) dealerships will not come off the price of a new vehicle.

Where the money is made on the front end of the dealership is used car sales, which can gross well above $1000-4000+ from a sell, and also the back end from Finance and Insurance (GAP, Warranty, Chip Paint/Tire protection warranty BS etc etc). Those generally have a max markup depending on whatever the state law allows (yes, there are state laws on how much a dealership can mark up certain things).

The biggest money maker however is the back end of the dealership, Service and Parts. CP (Customer Pay), recalls, Quick Lube are big gross. Anything done in a Quick Lube is very profitable for a dealership because QL techs get paid hourly, as opposed to actually certified techs in shops who get paid by tech hours. Parts, well, that is just highway robbery.

Jack - message me where you live, if we have a dealership near you I can pull invoice and get you what employee pricing would be for the vehicle you are looking for. Our pricing is cost+$300-holdback.
This is all a bit of a gross over-generalization. It depends on Manufacturer, dealer,location, competition, model, and time of month/year.

If the cars I buy/lease for personal and work were purchased at MSRP, the dealer would be making $8,000-$15,000 on each sale, not $400. Even when I buy them at invoice, the dealer still makes not only a small spread, but their hold-back, as well as bonuses from the manufacturer for making a sale. Yes, service is the bread and butter of how a dealer makes money. But, just because some shitty Toyota or Honda dealer in the middle of East Bum-fuck doesn't haggle because they have no competition, doesn't mean "most" dealers are like this. Big reason why location and Make/Model of car are important.

Bottom line, people need to educate themselves in the process if they want to save money.

rrr_img_94467.jpg

*corrected math*

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Because these dealerships mark up sticker prices a little too much. Some dealers do a descent job of keeping the sticker price low. The VW dealer I was at had pretty descent sticker prices on new cars, small mark-up, but nothing big. I had cash, but they wanted $1000 more than I had and wouldnt budge. They said they would drop that $1000 only if I financed through them, but I wasnt interested in that.
Was there a pre-payment penalty? Couldn't you finance through them and then just pay it off immediately?

Was there a pre-payment penalty? Couldn't you finance through them and then just pay it off immediately?
Thats not good for your credit rating. I have no interest in applying for a large sum of credit, only to pay it off immediately just to save $1000. Not to mention the payoff would immediately be more than the original amount of the loan.

rrr_img_94474.jpg