Funny, Strange, Random Pics

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Unknowingly i used both methods in elementary school. Its good to know both ways, and by that i think of the memorized substraction 10-x=y as well as the adding up method.
You can be vey fast with not so easy substractions via the adding up method.
easier: harder:
1000 1013
-367 -367
____ _____
0633 0633+13 = 0646

pic unrelated:
easter-humor-cat-with-ears-they-suspect-nothing.jpg

ITT: people who only know how to do something one way, saying that's the best and only way needed. It's funny in a sad kinda way, most of you would be in the Political thread mocking Republicans who want woman to stay at home and raise kids, and have no access to birth control. You know, like it used to be.
This statement would be true if it wasn't for the fact that common core is replacing the "old fashioned way". In common core teachers must follow the structure they're provided. They aren't allowed to teach multiple methods.

So actually what you just described is common core curriculum at work, not whining parents.

Unrelated/Random Obligs:

rrr_img_65056.jpg
rrr_img_65057.jpg
rrr_img_65058.jpg
rrr_img_65059.jpg

I like this derail.

The education system has just become another broken government program. Public schools are under-staffed, under-funded, and we are pushing all this "standardized" nonsense on our kids, teaching them to pass tests and not gain an ounce of actual education. Not to mention, you have garbage teachers that cant be fired.

Then these kids spend $100,000.00+ on a bullshit degree, from a bullshit school, and are all bent because all they can get is a bullshit job.

I remember, in my retail days, I had to do some hiring. Had a guy with with a Masters Degree in Library Science applying for a $7.50 an hour job. I asked him what the hell a Library Science degree was good for, he replied "apparently nothing". Had another lady with a Masters and a Bachelors in various religious studies, all bent out of shape because she was paying off a shit load of student debt making minimum wage. Then there were probably another 20+ kids working the register with a business or criminal justice degree.

There is some sort of center for higher learning on every street corner, and every other website, that will give you a piece of paper in exchange for a large amount of money that some private organization will give you with the click of a mouse for 25% interest.

Meanwhile, the taxpayer funds billions of dollars for education studies and we continue to rank lower and lower in world education every year.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Dont really care about how basic arithmetic is taught, as long as it works. I am interested in what the consequences of having the Standard of Education thats equal Country Wide would be. I can only imagine how good it will be now that education is on an equal playing field whether you're in Massachusetts (best education in the US) or Mississippi (worst in the US). Whats the consequences of it, though?

On a random note: Does anyone actually wear stuff like this in an everyday fashion? (AC themed Hoodie from Deal Man. About 30 bucks)
3_89e0a0ee-3c02-4c1f-8dd2-a8154467e6cb_1024x1024.jpg

Noble Savage

Kang of Kangz
<Bronze Donator>
The problem is, in the U.S. at least, education reform has become a business. If you "fix" education, then there is no more government money coming in.
I work in a pretty large urban school district and this statement hits the nail on the head. The whole public school system is one gigantic money skim. There are some pretty slimy fucks that make ALOT of money by "assisting" school districts in spending their grants and general funds. Most people that are in charge might mean well (I am not even 100% sure of that) but they have no real world experience in trying to negotiate to get lower costs or knowing enough to be able to hold anyone accountable. I see so much money being wasted day in and day out that its rather depressing.

Salshun_sl

shitlord
Dont really care about how basic arithmetic is taught, as long as it works. I am interested in what the consequences of having the Standard of Education thats equal Country Wide would be. I can only imagine how good it will be now that education is on an equal playing field whether you're in Massachusetts (best education in the US) or Mississippi (worst in the US). Whats the consequences of it, though?

On a random note: Does anyone actually wear stuff like this in an everyday fashion? (AC themed Hoodie from Deal Man. About 30 bucks)
That's the shit Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow would sport if they became hipster douches.

1896915-snakeeyes_storm_shadow_by_ratkins_d31j2rc.jpg

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>

Do they teach a different history in Mississippi compared to Massachusetts? Do they teach functions differently in either state? Pretty sure the difference between educational levels and performance has little to do with whats taught or how its taught.

Siliconemelons

I work in a pretty large urban school district and this statement hits the nail on the head. The whole public school system is one gigantic money skim. There are some pretty slimy fucks that make ALOT of money by "assisting" school districts in spending their grants and general funds. Most people that are in charge might mean well (I am not even 100% sure of that) but they have no real world experience in trying to negotiate to get lower costs or knowing enough to be able to hold anyone accountable. I see so much money being wasted day in and day out that its rather depressing.
County spent millions on a study as to why the "black male" population was scoring lower than the others...

X curriculum sucks, spend Y Millions on new curriculum and dick all on training the teachers to use it, then change it in a year because some study (ref above) tells you "don't know why (well we cannot sat it out loud).. Soo. umm. change curriculum?"

Wife moved to teach at a private school, its all about the same level of BS just on a smaller and local level.

apraetor

<Silver Donator>
We put man on the moon with engineers who were mostly educated using nothing more than a textbook and a blackboard. Now we use computers and all the new teaching methods and we can't graduate kids that can make change at McDonalds.

My dad is in this pic, it's a series of famous depression era photagraphs and this one was taken at his school in San Augustine, TX. He never went past highschool and ran a team of engineers all his life doing design work and still does to this day at age 74. Yet we have people that can't add 2+2 despite millions more spent on them
frown.png

2179121221_3140ba5238_z.jpg
If he's 74 then he was born in 1939, right? How could he be in a photo taken during the great depression?

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
math derail...even worse than politics derail
shut the fuck up and post some pics.no one cares about the new method.

10155307_231028293758986_7415281938464580709_n.jpg

2n830bp.jpg

4tx1mt.jpg

10154288_628498163893953_949514080511100290_n.jpg

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

No people don't wear that, but I kind of wish people did, I think it looks cool =\

It's a good thing being cheap constrains my fashion budget. If I were loose with money I'd walk around like an asshole.
rrr_img_65065.jpg

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
No people don't wear that, but I kind of wish people did, I think it looks cool =\

It's a good thing being cheap constrains my fashion budget. If I were loose with money I'd walk around like an asshole.
rrr_img_65065.jpg
Holy shit, Trent Reznor is Commander Shepard.

(with red eyes?)

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Chris, I get the idea, but that's an algebra type item and is better taught at that point. Addition and subtraction are Math 101 rote topics and should be treated as such. 32 - 20 = 12. 32 - 12 = 20. Etc.