Furor's 14 Days rant & First Look at WoW

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Resist gear was shit. Sure was fun farming level 35 dungeons for nature resist gear for AQ40!

It wasn't my favorite mechanic (in WoW or EQ) but at least it required you to think a little bit about your gear and micromanage etc. Taking that away was just part of the slippery slope of completely dumbing-down the game.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
It wasn't my favorite mechanic (in WoW or EQ) but at least it required you to think a little bit about your gear and micromanage etc. Taking that away was just part of the slippery slope of completely dumbing-down the game.
Nude.
st0mftx3gm361.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

Not really - it was just a means to add "soft resets" to gear by forcing players to wear an item (typically with sub-optimal stats) for the express purpose to mitigate or eliminate some unavoidable AOE a boss threw out. Then this was usually done in an environment that limited storage (either on player or their bank), forcing players to maintain large amounts of gear that was worthless outside whatever gimmick fight you were forced to use them on.

That is always one of those mechanics that sounds cooler on paper then it actually works out in practice.

Anyways, all that shit you liked from classic is in New World - weapon skill ups, resist gear for niche fights, stat selection. See how well that worked out for them? They've constantly had to rollback or make respecing cheaper due to player complaints of being pigeonholed into builds that limit their ability to experiment, or forcing them to maintain lots of gear in a system that limited storage.

• 1EyeRoll
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
I loved having planar and the extra resists here and there it provided. I wouldn't say it's a completely gimmick related stat line.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Resist gear is in no way shape or form forcing people "to think"

It's just another mindless carrot chase

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
Resist gear is in no way shape or form forcing people "to think"

It's just another mindless carrot chase
A lot of mobile games have people make multiple teams for different elements with different elemental gear.

It's more stuff to grind for and some people are happy to grind for mounts and transmogs they never use.

I've posted this before but designed well this could be amazing:

1) Limit resist gear to specific slots with a UI to quickly swap it out. Cloak, Boots and Gloves only?

2) Have it be designed to be a money making tool for crafters to encourge that aspect of the game.

3) Make the resist gear look cool so that they feel like a reward themselves. Those glowy teir sets they are making for Dragonflight would fit perfectly

4) Have exclusive areas of the world for people with resist gear. Like people with Fire Resist gear could unlock a gathering area in the Firelands, which amongst other things would have mats for fire resist potions as a catch up mechanic that the sever first people can exploit to make money.

Last edited:

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Ya do u want a single +gooderer stat or "pointless carrots" idk, I'm a pointless carrot traditionalist I guess

It's immersive to me to don hellforged plating to charge through dragons breath

If others see it as cringe or stupid, that's opinions for ya

• 1Like

Cybsled

Resist gear is just a way to artificially extend content with minimal mudflation

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I think resists are cool when you see them in action. Being a MT in EverQuest and resisting fear non stop only to see your guild getting feared every 15 seconds made me feel very accomplished and take pride in my character. When resists completely negate shit like that, their cool-factor is like 1000% more than "less damage" resists. Negating shit is like standing up to a Dragon and laughing in their face.
giphy.gif

Never mind that they could use resists as a difficulty modifier instead of the 15 different versions that they come up with now.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

Being a MT in EverQuest and resisting fear non stop only to see your guild getting feared every 15 seconds made me feel very accomplished and take pride in my character.

…and then you die to an unresistable death touch because that was the the dev’s answer to every raid encounter

• 4Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
Resist gear is just a way to artificially extend content with minimal mudflation
You can say that about tiers of gear in general, what's the actual game if there's nothing to earn in a RPG? May as well be single player.

I think resists are cool when you see them in action. Being a MT in EverQuest and resisting fear non stop only to see your guild getting feared every 15 seconds made me feel very accomplished and take pride in my character. When resists completely negate shit like that, their cool-factor is like 1000% more than "less damage" resists. Negating shit is like standing up to a Dragon and laughing in their face.
giphy.gif

Never mind that they could use resists as a difficulty modifier instead of the 15 different versions that they come up with now.
Felt good getting the Onyxia Cloak and not having to hide with the plebs in the buggy Draconid cave and hoping for the best during Nerfarien's breath attack.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Resist are cool when they are new, special, and hard to get. As a game goes on, all of those things inherently stop happening. Then they suck.

I remember I had all my resists all well over cap early in pop, since I was rocking like 8 or 9 pieces of aten gear, plus pretty much bis or close every other slot. Had like 5 casters trying to kill me in the bazaar, and absolutely nothing would land outside of malo and tash, and every now and then one of the wizard lures might tickle me a few hps, so they all had to try to club me to death.

It made me giggle, but also exemplifies why resists are so stupid. Cutting out all the casters and saying you're worthless for this fight is not a good way to balance your game. Maybe there's a way to do it better.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
giphy.gif

That's the problem with modern raid design, notably at the high end. If you allow for your mechanics to be resisted, it becomes very, very hard to tune the higher difficulty levels. Imagine every recent Mythic raid, where any of the raiders would have a chance of resisting one of the mechanics (and worse, where your addons tell the entire raid "Bomb resisted by Soandso, no group needed").

Suddenly, there's no race to world first, because it's going to devolve to who rolled the string of random successes. People complain about guilds doing Mythic "only because they're lucky".

In a casual game, yes. In the top-loaded WoW? Never.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
If you like resist gear then good for you. My argument is that it has nothing to do with "having to think" and is just another grind.

If you want it to be more like that then you'd have to pick between different resists for any given fight depending on what mechanic your group can better deal with.

That also requires intelligent raid design where mechanics have to be different but equally challenging or you just end up with the meta of this fight = this resist

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
If you like resist gear then good for you. My argument is that it has nothing to do with "having to think" and is just another grind.

If you want it to be more like that then you'd have to pick between different resists for any given fight depending on what mechanic your group can better deal with.

That also requires intelligent raid design where mechanics have to be different but equally challenging or you just end up with the meta of this fight = this resist

Resists involve "having to think" when you have gear sets put aside for specific circumstances and can achieve much better success by having some skill with micromanaging. Cukernaut Cukernaut knows what I mean.

Lots of other ways to make the player think, but that's one of them. Maybe it's a little annoying as the game progresses and should go by the wayside, IDK. Just struck me as yet another dumbing-down of WoW.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Resists have to be % damage and status effect duration reduction to eliminate RNG.

Class design can easily handle it if you choose to let bosses resist only some player's attacks, have a way to change the element of every spell. You don't need to have enemy resists in though.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Resist are cool when they are new, special, and hard to get. As a game goes on, all of those things inherently stop happening. Then they suck.

I remember I had all my resists all well over cap early in pop, since I was rocking like 8 or 9 pieces of aten gear, plus pretty much bis or close every other slot. Had like 5 casters trying to kill me in the bazaar, and absolutely nothing would land outside of malo and tash, and every now and then one of the wizard lures might tickle me a few hps, so they all had to try to club me to death.

It made me giggle, but also exemplifies why resists are so stupid. Cutting out all the casters and saying you're worthless for this fight is not a good way to balance your game. Maybe there's a way to do it better.

Ignoring pvp balance is more of a culprit here, no?

Some npcs needed those crazy high resists to deal with their aoe, like Fenin maybe? I tapered off after Velious and have doinked around in POP but not as much.

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
VT had resist gear out the wazoo. First time I remember seeing such high HP gear with such huge resists. Those slimes in VT would mess up your shit though.

Rael

Golden Knight of the Realm
This aged well...

1651351591476.png

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
This aged well...

View attachment 410349

1651356204952.png

Whenever I see these pop up, I remember being a boy and seeing him call inferior questers "retards and faggots".

He was telling the truth.

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users