Game Streaming Services - Stadia, Geforce Now, xCloud, PS Now

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
The interesting thing about this kind of service, as far as graphics and performance is concerned, you will be gaming with serious gaming power. Probable a lot more than your standard gaming PC has. So if the bandwidth isn't an issue and it is smooth this doesn't just target console players in my mind. It targets everyone.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Maybe like improvising a turbo button?

Along those lines, yeah. Or automating input, or doing specific inputs based on reading the visuals of the screen (latency would be a problem here) it's really no different than a lot of cheats work on PC. As long as you can control what gets input when, then there's potential.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I agree with Dom. I play 4k games with HDR. And would rather have 60 frames with that too. Hdmi tech will limit that until 2.1 becomes main stream. But bandwidth caps kills this instantly. And that is why this won’t work even if they figure out the tech.

I’m also sick to death of paying service subscriptions giving all the power to the supplier. Fuck that shit. And fuck game streaming.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I agree with Dom. I play 4k games with HDR. And would rather have 60 frames with that too. Hdmi tech will limit that until 2.1 becomes main stream. But bandwidth caps kills this instantly. And that is why this won’t work even if they figure out the tech.

I’m also sick to death of paying service subscriptions giving all the power to the supplier. Fuck that shit. And fuck game streaming.

They're saying stadia pro will be 4k hdr with 60 fps, but there's no way it won't be compressed which means the visual quality will be reduced.

PS5 is pretty much confirmed to have hdmi 2.1 btw.

• 1Like

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>
The interesting thing about this kind of service, as far as graphics and performance is concerned, you will be gaming with serious gaming power. Probable a lot more than your standard gaming PC has. So if the bandwidth isn't an issue and it is smooth this doesn't just target console players in my mind. It targets everyone.

The hardware to render it is already not as powerful as bleeding edge gaming pc's today, which means Google will need up update their datacenter in the not so far future. They will be in a constant cycle of upgrading if this pipe-dream actually catches on. Audio and video will also be compressed, it will never match having the source at the home.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
people are disappointed that you have to pay extra to play new games? isn't that kind of like being mad that Netflix doesn't have Avengers Endgame up yet?

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
The hardware to render it is already not as powerful as bleeding edge gaming pc's today, which means Google will need up update their datacenter in the not so far future. They will be in a constant cycle of upgrading if this pipe-dream actually catches on. Audio and video will also be compressed, it will never match having the source at the home.

At the end of 2017, the machines they were using for testing were incredible insane.

Custom mobo
2 x Xeon CPUs(forgetting which ones exactly)
16 x 64GB memory
4 x Titan GPUs

• 1Like

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
I think the disappointing part is the subscription fee for full quality. Personally I expected the games to cost roughly what they do on consoles or Steam, but that Google would stream it out of their slice of the pie.

To me I find the "founders" stage puzzling, people willing to spend money to play games already have consoles or PCs, they also risk that people (as I did) see the headlines and take away that 130+10/month is the pricing for the service which would lead to many writing it off.

Its probably more appropriate to think of Stadia hardware as a console where developers are better able to optimize performance over a PC.

At the end of 2017, the machines they were using for testing were incredible insane.

Custom mobo
2 x Xeon CPUs(forgetting which ones exactly)
16 x 64GB memory
4 x Titan GPUs

In the GDC announcement they said they would be using AMD custom CPU+GPU (so notionally similar to Microsoft/Sony do), though that may not be what they used in earlier tests.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
would be really interesting if the service gets popular enough to the point where developers start making titles specifically for streaming. because (I think? Having doubts after recent posts) a streamed game's graphics can be way more processor intensive since all the computing is done on the server side.

• 1Like

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
They were testing with Intel/Nvidia and AMD at the time, I just don't remember the specs of the AMD stuff anymore.

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
Ah interesting, apparently they didn't mention Intel by name in the broadcast but the closed captioning specified it. I feel discriminated against :)

These are strange times. If Microsoft debuts XCloud at E3 running EPYC and Navi/RDNA...and PS5 will be running AMD custom...wtf is going on?!

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
On the surface, this really isn't for me (or many people on this board)... But the potential is there. Especially if they start acquiring studios and exclusive rights, pair that with having an all-encompassing streaming service & environment outside of the actual games. Goodness.

I do like the idea of throwing a Chromecast & controller in a carry on and having this for traveling, assuming internet speeds in hotels/airbnbs/your in laws etc.

spronk

FPS noob
most hotels unfortunately lock HDMI ports nowadays and/or their wifi has portal logins which doesn't always work with dongle devices, but yeah good for airbnb/relatives/etc

bandwidth will be an issue though, someone calculated like 65 hours of game play will take up 1TB of data at 4k. thats my monthly cap :( I'd probably install it at my in laws though and just play the freebie 1080p games when i'm bored

• 1Truth!

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I might move away from my pc to my sofa only if the loading times are very low, and hopefully they are. I have a PS3 and a PS4 I rarely use cause it takes more time to load a fucking game on these systems than downloading, installing and launching them on my pc.