Game Streaming Services - Stadia, Geforce Now, xCloud, PS Now

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
The issue is still not fixed though, maybe after all this corona shit clears out ISPs will finally remove data caps.
What's a data cap? Something in 3rd world countries?

No data caps in EU (unless you're using mobile 4G that is).

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
What's a data cap? Something in 3rd world countries?

No data caps in EU (unless you're using mobile 4G that is).
I think it’s an urban America phenomenon. I’ve never had one. Even my cell data is unlimited.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
Cox implements 1TB data caps as do a number of other providers. Basically if your area has monopoly ISPs you probably have data caps. They have generously waived it during the pandemic, what benevolent overlords

normally though for only $50/mo extra you can get unlimited data

I download a lot of shit and 9/12 months its fine, I hit 800gb last month and that was sorta pushing it with a lot of 4k movie downloads. Oct/Nov/Dec though tend to be really bad with lots of new games, like modern warfare was fucking 100 gigs as was Borderlands 3 and Gears 5. Normal netflix/hulu/etc usage rarely is a problem although I imagine with kids in the house and everyone watching streams it might start climbing up

Last edited:

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, I do 2TB/mo with 4 kids in the house. $50 for unlimited is well spent.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
39.99€/Month for unlimited fiber is basically the standard around here.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Cox implements 1TB data caps as do a number of other providers. Basically if your area has monopoly ISPs you probably have data caps. They have generously waived it during the pandemic, what benevolent overlords

normally though for only $50/mo extra you can get unlimited data

I download a lot of shit and 9/12 months its fine, I hit 800gb last month and that was sorta pushing it with a lot of 4k movie downloads. Oct/Nov/Dec though tend to be really bad with lots of new games, like modern warfare was fucking 100 gigs as was Borderlands 3 and Gears 5. Normal netflix/hulu/etc usage rarely is a problem although I imagine with kids in the house and everyone watching streams it might start climbing up

A TB would be a god send ...

I could get AT&T wireless network access... double the cost at half the fucking data cap WTF?

spronk

FPS noob
there are people who buy $100 4G/LTE hotspot modems and use AT&T (maybe also T-Mobile or sprint) with it, if you have one of the unlimited plans it apparently sorta works but they can throttle you especially now during congested times i imagine. yeah, for a few years i was hoping google (fiber) and facebook (sky balloons) was gonna truly "make data free" but that dream seems dead

The NoContract subreddit has more info on it, something like this
www.reddit.com/r/NoContract/comments/cd5y9f/att_ipadmobile_hotspot_megathread/

USA is a joke though compared to Europe or Asia, they get unlimited mobile plans for like $10-20 and fiber to the homes for like $20-30. Every European is completely puzzled when I start talking to them about data caps and how much we pay for our internet and phone.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
there are people who buy $100 4G/LTE hotspot modems and use AT&T (maybe also T-Mobile or sprint) with it, if you have one of the unlimited plans it apparently sorta works but they can throttle you especially now during congested times i imagine. yeah, for a few years i was hoping google (fiber) and facebook (sky balloons) was gonna truly "make data free" but that dream seems dead

The NoContract subreddit has more info on it, something like this
www.reddit.com/r/NoContract/comments/cd5y9f/att_ipadmobile_hotspot_megathread/

USA is a joke though compared to Europe or Asia, they get unlimited mobile plans for like $10-20 and fiber to the homes for like $20-30. Every European is completely puzzled when I start talking to them about data caps and how much we pay for our internet and phone.

The issue is were I live I'm 1 hill over and on the downside of the hill from AT&T's tower for the area, AT&T's service is fucking garbage at my house, it's a running joke some of my friends come visit me too just get out of network, its that bad.

Verizon was starting too provide wireless access via 4G but by the time I got around too hopefully switching over, they already bailed out of the area for that service, so *shrug* whatever I'll just live with what I got, I prefer having physical disc's anyway over a gimmick cloud service..

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
The issue is were I live I'm 1 hill over and on the downside of the hill from AT&T's tower for the area, AT&T's service is fucking garbage at my house, it's a running joke some of my friends come visit me too just get out of network, its that bad.

Verizon was starting too provide wireless access via 4G but by the time I got around too hopefully switching over, they already bailed out of the area for that service, so *shrug* whatever I'll just live with what I got, I prefer having physical disc's anyway over a gimmick cloud service..
Sounds like you're a potential customer for Elon's 80$ satellite 25ms latency miracle (he's just requested a FCC license for 1M terminals to deploy in the USA).

spronk

FPS noob
doesn't smedley work at amazon game studios

i'd bet the amazon one is just rolled into amazon prime and you can buy controllers etc

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Yeah. Could see them bolt it to Twitch in a limited fashion day 1 too. Some of the stuff Stadia promised a long time ago.

spronk

FPS noob
if you sub to a free stadia trial before June 3d you will get 2 free months of pro, after that date you will only get 1 free month. There are currently like 9 games that come with pro

i had bought at launch and refunded within a week, just resubbed to the "free trial" (2 months), had to "claim" all the free games, and immediately unsubbed but can still play the free list of games for the next 2 months. i won't of course, got plenty of other backlog games to play on pc/consoles, but its nice having the option

the only exclusive stadia game still afaik is Gylt. will probably check that and Serious Sam Collection out at some point

• 1Like

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
My initial impressions of this are pretty good. Haven't played much with it yet but feels better than holding a Switch (without Satisfye grip)

1594402049937.png

Here's a review. One of the biggest issues is compatibility but I really only got it to tinker w/ xCloud and stream from my Xbox, so no issues there. I'm using a Pixel 3 XL which is decent sized, but the extremely tall phones like the S20 Ultra do not fit.

• 1Like

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Was excited briefly then realised it wouldn't work with my old emulators. Shame, looks pretty nice for the pricepoint.