Game Streaming Services - Stadia, Geforce Now, xCloud, PS Now

spronk

FPS noob
i wonder if they will try that stadia bullshit where you have to pay extra to actually "buy" games you stream, or if its the netflix model of pay $6/mo and get this library of 100 games. its gotta be the latter i imagine, just microtransactioned up the ass to make more money.

on the one hand some competition is nice, will force microsoft to keep gamepass having good games. on the other hand its amazon, you know they will fuck with things and use their powers for evil

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Amazon's Luna service works well, reliably 1080p/60 using the Windows 10 app, no real noticeable latency playing through the first couple races of GRID. No real reason to keep the service, but it works as advertised so far.

We could have a use on our Fire Sticks, w/ 4 kids and it allowing 2 streams at a time. Would depend on library and if we really want to order controllers.

Last edited:

spronk

FPS noob
I played Fenyx a little bit to check it out, its not great. Quit after 15 mins, it felt like an AC Odyssey reskin. No real point in playing this when the far superior Genshin Impact is out and even f2p. The narrator stuff is annoying as hell. Combat was ok, I thought the flying stuff was the best part.

it was neat instantly running on stadia though, no installs or anything and could use my wireless xbox controller

link is same as above, you can signup for a free stadia account (i think?) dont need pro or anything to play the demo

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Ubisoft+ subscribers can now request Luna (Amazon's cloud streaming platform) codes and access the Ubisoft channel. Hopefully that lasts beyond the beta and they do something similar on other platforms, but that's probably wishful thinking.

1605026994782.png

1605027013235.png

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Ubisoft+ subscribers can now request Luna (Amazon's cloud streaming platform) codes and access the Ubisoft channel. Hopefully that lasts beyond the beta and they do something similar on other platforms, but that's probably wishful thinking.
You mean we can get Luna codes from Ubisoft? Or is it just if you got accepted to Luna already you can play Ubi+ games? I signed up for Luna right after the announced it but never heard anything back.

Edit: Looks like you're SOL if Amazon hasn't accepted you to early access. :( Was hoping to play it that way since ACV hasn't showed up on Geforce Now yet.
Edit2: Crisis averted, AC:V just appeared on Geforce Now.

Last edited:

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
You mean we can get Luna codes from Ubisoft? Or is it just if you got accepted to Luna already you can play Ubi+ games? I signed up for Luna right after the announced it but never heard anything back.

Edit: Looks like you're SOL if Amazon hasn't accepted you to early access. :( Was hoping to play it that way since ACV hasn't showed up on Geforce Now yet.
Edit2: Crisis averted, AC:V just appeared on Geforce Now.

From Ubisoft Connect I was able to click Request Code, and it sent me a code for Luna. I was already in the beta though. But yeah, seems like you're at the whim of the Early Access admittance tempo. Wonder if the code just bumps you to the front of the line.

spronk

FPS noob
free stadia controller/chromecast/pro sub if you have Youtube Premium (which is different than YouTubeTV...because...)

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I have had YT Premium for years because of my Google Play Music sub. GPM is gone now and replaced by YT Music which I still have active. Claimed my Stadia bundle and an hour later I had an email with a code. Checkout was seamless and it's being delivered in 8 days.

I'm probably going to play Cyberpunk on it so I can avoid both buying and downloading it. Also since Stadia could potentially run it at higher fidelity than my actual PC.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I have had YT Premium for years because of my Google Play Music sub. GPM is gone now and replaced by YT Music which I still have active. Claimed my Stadia bundle and an hour later I had an email with a code. Checkout was seamless and it's being delivered in 8 days.

I'm probably going to play Cyberpunk on it so I can avoid both buying and downloading it. Also since Stadia could potentially run it at higher fidelity than my actual PC.

I'm in the same boat with a Google/YouTube music sub and it worked just fine. Tried Risk of Rain 2 since it's one of the free games and I figured it would stream well. Responsiveness was fine, but video quality was spotty on a 100 mbps connection.

Free chomecast ultra and controller though. Just need to remember to cancel.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
free stadia controller/chromecast/pro sub if you have Youtube Premium (which is different than YouTubeTV...because...)

Stadia is the shittiest streaming version possible, right?

You need to purchase games. There's probably a few free ones included, but I did not check further upon discovering that the pro subscription gives you 2 free games of Google's choice per month. And that's it. You pick stadia, you spend your 3 month sub, you get a small library of a handful of games, potentially none you're really interested it, and that's it.

All the competitors have understood that what people want for a streaming service is Netflix, not rent-a-console-without-games.

spronk

FPS noob
yeah Stadia is DOA, i imagine within a year google shuts it down

Luna is the better idea, its basically Netflix streaming for games from Amazon. Its only by invite beta right now, i think like $6/mo, and you get a library of games you can stream. GamePass Ultimate is the best, same idea with ~100 or so streaming games like Gears, Halo, Forza, etc

Vorph

Luna is... ok. Hardware is MUCH weaker than Geforce Now though. Like Tesla T4 vs. Tesla T10, and a worse CPU when GFN's is already the major bottleneck. (Edit: Also, they aren't keeping up to date on Nvidia driver releases, like the new one for AC:V.)

Only upside is there's much less people using it so you don't get tons of network problems and low bitrates during prime time.

Last edited:

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
I got accepted to Luna, I signed up because I just activated UbiConnect to play AC:V.

I looooove the idea behind playing my games on whatever device I’m at but it just doesn’t seem like there’s an option that meets all my needs.

Crone

So GeForce Now I feel is doing it right and letting the customer bring their own accounts, and play whatever games they already have. But it wasn't that long ago that many publishers were pulling out from GeForce Now for some reason? Does that mean I can't bring my Blizzard account or uPlay? How does that work?

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
So GeForce Now I feel is doing it right and letting the customer bring their own accounts, and play whatever games they already have. But it wasn't that long ago that many publishers were pulling out from GeForce Now for some reason? Does that mean I can't bring my Blizzard account or uPlay? How does that work?
Basically, GEForce uses a specialized client for whatever store, with pre-installed games for the virtualized machine. So you open the GeForce Now, click on the desktop for Steam/GOG/Epic/Origin/etc, and launch the game from your normal library there.

All it requires is that the store is ported, and that the game itself has been checked to be working with the virtual Windows environment and its distributor is not against its use in that environment.

As far as I know, Blizzard hasn't ported the launcher, but uPlay is working. So you just click on uPlay in there, log-in, and play "normally".