Game Streaming Services - Stadia, Geforce Now, xCloud, PS Now

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

spronk

FPS noob
there's a good chance google would refund you every game you bought on their service when (not if) they cancel stadia, so at least you'd have that going for you

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
there's a good chance google would refund you every game you bought on their service when (not if) they cancel stadia, so at least you'd have that going for you
Who knows. Given how asinine their business model, and how weird their technical system is (the reason why there are so few Stadia games? Each game has to be ported over to Linux, since that's what Stadia runs onto)... they might simply haven't even factored this into their financials risks yet, and decide the threat of a lawsuit is low enough that they can declare any game older than X months "used" and worth nothing.

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
They just opened Stadia in Switzerland, might as well try it for a month. It sucks that I can't use my PS4 controller though

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Girlfriend grabbed me a Razer Kishi controller (Xbox) for my Android phone after I mentioned it looked cool one day. Finally, FINALLY used Geforce Now with it on my phone while we were out of town... Geforce Now & that controller ran really fucking well on that S10. Probably dumped 10 hours sitting on a couch, while family watched shit movies, playing Valhalla. Really impressed. It ran at 50-60 fps on med-high settings, and the packet loss was completely acceptable considering I was in the middle of nowhere Texas. Aiming with the Kishi sticks is not perfect by any means, but it's definitely acceptable. Not sure how great pure shooters would be, but it seems perfect for action adventure titles like Valhalla, and slower stuff like Frostpunk.

This streaming shit is pretty legit, not going to lie. Geforce Now is a fucking steal at $5 /month.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Was surprised to see Walmart actually had a full standup endcap/kiosk for the Kishi.

• 1Like

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I played CP77 for a few days on GeForce Now and it worked great.

Love that it uses my Steam account on the virtual desktop. Reminds me of using Citrix.

• 1Like

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Tried out Stadia today. I don't really have a problem with using it for games on Ubisoft+ or whatever, as it's nice to try games without having to download them. However, I shut it down immediately after it has me link my Ubisoft account, but then doesn't do cross-progression/saves? I'm not starting over in a game just to play it on Stadia. Shut it down immediately. Pretty disappointed in Ubisoft for not making that a thing?

spronk

FPS noob
ubisoft is working on it, but its not really fully implemented yet. Sometime in 2021 they plan on having new games support seamless cross save across all platforms, but it doesn't really work right now. Some games let you upload your saves to their Ubi connect cloud save, and then you can download it on another platform, but its wonky and requires manual effort.

I think the only game it really sorta works right now (manually) is AC Valhalla

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
200.gif

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm

What third party company would invest in the platform when the first party closes up shop supporting it with their in-house games? lol

Another nail in the coffin for game streaming. Thank god.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
What third party company would invest in the platform when the first party closes up shop supporting it with their in-house games? lol

Another nail in the coffin for game streaming. Thank god.
Tencent for 1/18th the price

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
The Xbox client used by Xbox Insiders now supports game streaming on windows 10 (previously only available via Xbox Cloud Gaming (Beta) on Xbox.com | Xbox). You can opt into this in the Xbox Insiders Hub app.

1628525150015.png

If you have the updated client, you'll see a button below the hero for cloud gaming.

1628525166910.png

spronk

FPS noob
i've done like half a dozen games on my PC via xcloud over the last few months and its worked great, just a few minutes each time to get something done for MS Rewards without having to install a game on my xbox. No issues, and its absolutely fantastic to see if a game is interesting enough to download/install. I even played like 2 hours of Elder Scrolls online with it using a controller, no probs.

its really cool and it'll be interesting to see where it ends up in a few years as the server farms get more powerful. I think most of the farm is still running on xbox one's right now, but they are slowly upgrading them all to series X equivalents

• 1Like