Game Streaming Services - Stadia, Geforce Now, xCloud, PS Now

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
So I finally tried this out. I have 1GB internet and loaded up Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana. Even with my beastly pc setup/internet the game would still go pixelated often enough that it was highly noticeable and this is a game with dated anime graphics. Not even going to bother testing out the 4k stuff as I'm sure it'll just annoy me.

Maybe it'll take off in 3rd world countries with insanely fast internet who only have access to dated hardware otherwise MEH.

Tried out Amazon Luna and it was the same deal too.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
So looks like Ubisoft is charging a couple more dollars on top of their Ubisoft+ subscription for access to cloud streaming (via Luna or Stadia) which has now left beta. You don't need to subscribe to Stadia Pro to play Ubisoft games, just have an account. Not sure about Luna.

Cross-save, cross-play... good stuff for those that are interested. I've used it a few times like once when friends were playing The Division and were towards the end of a mission... I didn't have it installed, so just fired it up on Luna and joined them.

I think for most Ubisoft+ would be a part-time subscription at best, given their release tempo, just look at their own recently added list from the desktop client:

1633040196400.png

For those that like their games (like me, gaming ADD permitting), lots of bear assess to collect, just pick your genre and get to grinding.

spronk

FPS noob
if you're an AT&T customer you can play arkham knight streamed

the most interesting thing is this is the first case of Stadia white-label, a new thing where stadia is wholesaling their stadia system to third parties. This pretty much is the stage of a cloud service where they pimp themselves out to anyone who will pay.

semi neat but still can't really see a situation where I'd want to do this, especially since stadia is a different platform so needs a custom game made for it, unlike xCloud which just runs the xbox version of games.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Was hoping for a bit more of a Founders discount (I pay $25 for 6 months of Priority), but that shit's still $90. I think if I was going to spend that kind of money on cloud gaming I'd just go all the way and buy a Shadow PC. $15+ a month seems silly when you still have to deal with all the asshole publishers that removed their games from GFN, the fact that MS Store (Game Pass) will never be available, and so far Cyberpunk is still the only title you can add to library from GOG.

spronk

FPS noob
i bought RDR 2 yesterday on stadia (made a new account) for $29.99-$10 new member coupon that comes a day after you make an account, today got an email saying i could get a free stadia premiere edition and ordered one, $80 discount applied. The offer is on the store page too for everyone, but the $10 coupon does not invalidate the deal

1637779808051.png

the premiere kit is just a chromecast ultra + stadia controller, nothing amazing but nice to have to take around during holidays

if you use the app (NOT website) when buying the game you can pay with Google Pay and/or google play, desktop only takes credit cards. I had like $50 in google pay wallet money so not a bad deal. The coupon you get for the free edition expires 12/11/21 so the deal isn't live for that long.

If you don't have a stadia account can use my referral, you get 1 extra free month or something Stadia - Play for Free across your favorite devices

spronk

FPS noob
stadia app now on LG WebOS TVs, it also pairs with stadia controller. be cool if xcloud app gets native LG app too

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Samsung TVs will feature Geforce NOW and other streaming services soon. Kind of feel a tipping point approaching, but there are some housekeeping items like bandwidth going the way of international minutes, etc before we're really there.

We also need some household/family plan for some of these services.

If anyone has ATT, you can get 6 months of the premium tier of Geforce NOW.

For those not familiar with their offering:

1641325906725.png

Vorph

Wish RTX 3080 wasn't so expensive, would be nice to see what it looks like on my Shield TV and if it can really do 4K HDR without any issues. Still the same deal as before for Founders though; 50% off Priority but only 10% off RTX 3080.

Crone

stadia app now on LG WebOS TVs, it also pairs with stadia controller. be cool if xcloud app gets native LG app too
Seeing as I have an OLED this is pretty cool.

The issue with Stadia is that it doesn't let you BYOG (Bring Your Own Games) right? I've got Ubisoft+, and it's nice that I can play Ubisoft games on it using that subscription, but no other service is like that I don't think?

How do you pair a controller to your TV?

spronk

FPS noob
you just launch the stadia app, login, and there is a controller menu option and you have to press buttons in a certain order on the controller to pair it. I did it, i own like 2 games on stadia and got 6 months free stadia pro but still have yet to play a single second. its nice, but i don't know who its really for.

spronk

FPS noob

cool, i bought cyberpunk on stadia for $20 when they were giving away a free controller/cast when you bought a game so if i get a refund, i get to keep... cyberpunk