GameStop Stock Worth $5.13...But Only Worth 7cents In Store Credit

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Common sense check: if you haven't pre-ordered games for Spring you may want to do digital over physical and not rely on worldwide shipping in a virus ravaged world.

• 2Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 2 users

spronk

FPS noob
Why wouldn't they run games off external? I mean, right now MS doesn't even officially support changing the internal hard drive in the Xbone at all and they try to force you to use an external SSD. But whether you technically can install to external, I think the question is will anyone want to? These 'special' SSDs next gen is using are probably so much faster than even USB 3.1 gen 2 that you'd never want to install anything but indie games on them. I can't see much use for an external drive other than for archival purposes, like if you quit playing a game like Destiny or Division and want to archive it instead of re-downloading 100GB in a few months.

That really is the big question, whether next gen systems are heavily optimized with the assumption of the internal SSD drive. I think people mistakingly think ps5/xb2 are just using PC like SSD drives as storage. Its a lot more than that. Its NVME (still technically SSD) over probably PCIe 4.0, which only released six months ago and pretty much nobody has or is using on PCs. Its likely extremely optimized to the point where it seems reasonable to assume games will NOT run on external drives since it would make multiplayer games and the like impossible if some people are playing on external and some are on internal and they have different load times, etc.

I'm just hoping they have thought a lot about it and have solutions out the gate, remember the PS4 launched with NO external drive support and that was the situation for YEARS. Xbox supported it out of the box but you can't swap internal drives as you said.

I keep a 8TB drive on each of my consoles and never delete a game anymore, just push it to external. Put it back on internal when I want to play it for a while. I hope next gen works that way too, letting you use external drives as archive points. Its even more interesting when you think about game streaming, with a lot of rumors about being able to start a game immediately over stream while it downloads/installs and then you switch to local play after that. Same with updates. That kinda stuff could be very cool.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Its a lot more than that. Its NVME (still technically SSD) over probably PCIe 4.0, which only released six months ago and pretty much nobody has or is using on PCs.
My new PC has two NVMe drives in it. Boot drive is PCIe 3, and since I went with a X570 motherboard I decided to try out PCIe 4 for my game drive. The difference between the two is negligible. Hell, the difference between NVMe and normal SSD is negligible for almost everything that isn't a synthetic benchmark. I can move files around faster, and NVMe drives (even gen 3) boot Windows 10 quite a bit quicker, but in terms of game performance and loading times it's pretty much a waste of money still.

So I've been wondering about that since Sony first started talking about how massively faster load times were going to be. Specifically what they're doing that's so different from even bleeding edge PC hardware to get that much performance benefit out of it.

Malakriss

Hardware that won't bottleneck the hard drives is the biggest performance boost. But that's the rub you're not comparing bleeding edge PCs between then and now it's consoles which traditionally are middle of the road. If the PS5 generation leans more towards the high end then you're getting a boost simply from going mid to high instead of mid to mid.

There's at least hope we'll get a USB-C port for externals as well.

Crone

So speaking of stores on their way out... Fry's Electronics. I know many of you are in the East Coast and blessed with Microcenter but on the West coast it's Fry's and it's going out! They claim they are switching suppliers but the shelves are bare.

20200229_130325.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
They've been like this for like a year and a half here in Vegas, at least.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Crone

They've been like this for like a year and a half here in Vegas, at least.
I never remember to go to them because they advertise like shit. Their deals are never up on slickdeals, or put out anywhere, and the website is ass.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Digital is def the way to go. Only thing I could see is some kid taking their game over a friends house or whatever, but even that is prohibitive for the most part these days anyway since games require gigs and gigs of patching even if you have the physical copy.

Digital you never lose or get scratched up as well which is another bonus.
Digital can't be resold.

I traded in all my childhood consoles for a Switch (and storage space), a lot of the Nintendo games had kept their value, I got £50 for Pokemon Soul Silver for example. I couldn't trade in my digital games on the 3DS though.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
I stopped liking physical games when it became a trend to put 10 gb of the game on disc, leaving a 100 gb download.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
Digital can't be resold.

I traded in all my childhood consoles for a Switch (and storage space), a lot of the Nintendo games had kept their value, I got £50 for Pokemon Soul Silver for example. I couldn't trade in my digital games on the 3DS though.

its really just nintendo that applies to though, you won't get fuck all for any 2+ year old ps4 or xbox game. virtually all ps3/360 games are kinda worthless, although ironically with all the rumors of PS2 and PS3 BC for PS5 the prices of a few select games - the ones that will never get remastered, or the publisher/dev has vanished - has been steadily going up.

It does make sense to go physical for single player games that are not nintendo and 1-2 years old but pretty much any multiplayer game, just go digital. division 2 for example is freaking $3 right now on all the various stores, albeit its that price to get you to pay $40 for their expansion which launches in 2 days.

there are also weird side effects of new pack in codes, for example GTA 5 is still a top seller every month and I suspect some of it has to do with the fact that new premium physical editions (on sale for $15 now) come with a pack in code for like $1m online cash, which I think you can just redeem to an existing account. It all feels slimey and predatory.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Would have been able to re-sell digital games several years ago, but then everyone lost their minds and we ended up with always online consoles anyways minus the point of sale infrastructure and an ecosystem that would have permitted it.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Worked at a Fry's right out of high school quite some time ago... Fuck, what a terrible place to work. It was pretty much a "right of passage" for a lot of young workers in the area along with Six Flags, thanks to how high the turnover was. Best Buy was like heaven comparatively. Fry's was amazing when you were a young customer who was just getting into PC builds and shit. Luckily Dallas has Microcenter as well, definitely better.

• 1Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
GameStop Instructs Employees to Ignore Law Enforcement And Not Shut Down

GameStop has informed employees that if local authorities attempt to shut down their store in states with orders to close establishments deemed “non-essential,” they are to inform law enforcement that the company believes they should be “classified as essential retail and therefore is able to remain open during this time.” The instructions came with a flyer to hand over to law enforcement, and includes the phone number for GameStop’s corporate office.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like

Malakriss

and this is why they should be arresting people in corporate

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Araxen

I highky doubt some $13/hour store manager is going to risk going to jail over a Gamestop corporate directive.

• 1Solidarity

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
GameStop Instructs Employees to Ignore Law Enforcement And Not Shut Down

GameStop has informed employees that if local authorities attempt to shut down their store in states with orders to close establishments deemed “non-essential,” they are to inform law enforcement that the company believes they should be “classified as essential retail and therefore is able to remain open during this time.” The instructions came with a flyer to hand over to law enforcement, and includes the phone number for GameStop’s corporate office.
TacoBell-DemoMan.gif

Taco Bell GameStop was the only restaurant retail store to survive the Franchise Big Box Wars. Now all restaurants retail stores are Taco Bell GameStop

Invest in GameStop now!!!