Gaming and general purpose monitors

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
1080ti is perfectly fine for 1440p unless you absolutely need to hit 144fps. Cyberpunk is the first game I've ever had trouble hitting 60fps at 1440p with my 1080ti.

My problem is that high framerates have spoiled me. I really want 100+, with Cyberpunk I can hit 80 pretty consistently at 1080p which is good enough for now.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
My problem is that high framerates have spoiled me. I really want 100+, with Cyberpunk I can hit 80 pretty consistently at 1080p which is good enough for now.
Can always run 1080p on a 1440p monitor, though with some fuzziness involved. But yeah, doesn't hurt to get the monitor at the same time as the new card

Mountain Biker

Trakanon Raider
For general purpose gaming, do you recommend a curved monitor or not curved? I was pretty sold on curved but I keep reading that the distortion from the curve is quite noticeable sometimes.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
So my LG 27GL83A arrived today. Didn't have much time with it before I had to go to work, but it is significant upgrade over my old 1080p TN panel Acer.

My main issue so far has been I had to dig out my old cheapass monitor arm. The recess for the VESA bracket on the LG doesn't have enough space in the corners to fit the good arm's bracket. Fucking rustled at that.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
So my LG 27GL83A arrived today. Didn't have much time with it before I had to go to work, but it is significant upgrade over my old 1080p TN panel Acer.

My main issue so far has been I had to dig out my old cheapass monitor arm. The recess for the VESA bracket on the LG doesn't have enough space in the corners to fit the good arm's bracket. Fucking rustled at that.
lulz you know me and north bayou monitor arms
0554a8dd2ce56df2e9602e9e82b1ea06.png

i don't even need it, it was on sale and just sitting in my basement, now it's 40bucks and won't be in stock for a while.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
lulz you know me and north bayou monitor arms
0554a8dd2ce56df2e9602e9e82b1ea06.png

i don't even need it, it was on sale and just sitting in my basement, now it's 40bucks and won't be in stock for a while.

I have the dual monitor NB arm you had recommended and the VESA bracket is bigger than on my old arm. It was always a very tight fit in my other monitors, but the way the corners are rounded on the LG keeps it for fitting at all. Might have to see about grinding outer corner of the bracket down a bit.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I have the dual monitor NB arm you had recommended and the VESA bracket is bigger than on my old arm. It was always a very tight fit in my other monitors, but the way the corners are rounded on the LG keeps it for fitting at all. Might have to see about grinding outer corner of the bracket down a bit.
oic, cuz it's inset?
709afd97bc59b495e2548502de10bb62.png

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
oic, cuz it's inset?
709afd97bc59b495e2548502de10bb62.png

Exactly. It was a tight fit on my other monitor, but those rounded corners on the LG make it not fit at all. Either I need stand offs and longer screws or I need to grind off some of the outside of the VESA mount.

Kais

<Gold Donor>
Yeah i would advise against standoffs. Unless the surround of the screw socket is metal as well, you're setting yourself up for stress cracks and long term part failure.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah i would advise against standoffs. Unless the surround of the screw socket is metal as well, you're setting yourself up for stress cracks and long term part failure.

Yeah, I plan on having the brackets ground down. It only needs to lose maybe 2mm of material on each side.

• 1Like

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Decided to mount my G9 Odyssey. The stand itself takes up so much room, I wasn't expecting it to hoard my desk space.

Appears there are only 2-3 mounts even capable of handling the size of the G9.

If anyone's had experience with this let me know.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
I have an older Ergotron HX version to mount a 27" Wacom Cintiq. It's built like a tank and nothing like the cheap knockoffs or even their LX series. Your table needs to be able to support the weight, though, as the weight is not distributed over the surface, but on the small surface of the stand.

It was such a popular option that Wacom is selling what I believe is a rebranded version nowadays:

Ergotron themselves on their website say: "Note: To use this arm with the ultra-wide, curved Samsung 49" Odyssey G9, the accessory HX Heavy-Duty Tilt Pivot is required. See Tech Specs."

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Ergotrons cost a shitload but they're the best.

Can get open box ones on Ebay sometimes.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Decided to mount my G9 Odyssey. The stand itself takes up so much room, I wasn't expecting it to hoard my desk space.

Appears there are only 2-3 mounts even capable of handling the size of the G9.

i've used the north bayou that i love to wall mount a 50in tv works nice and tilts fine.

if youre desk mounting it, i suggest you either drill through or brace with a 2x4 horizontally if youre mounting to glass

but i suggest wall mounting

• 1Like

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
i've used the north bayou that i love to wall mount a 50in tv works nice and tilts fine.

if youre desk mounting it, i suggest you either drill through or brace with a 2x4 horizontally if youre mounting to glass

but i suggest wall mounting
Currently waiting to find a desk that is atleast 60 x 30 and can hold the ergotron. I can't wall mount it at the present time, but I'll definitely be taking your suggestions with the 2x4.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Currently waiting to find a desk that is atleast 60 x 30 and can hold the ergotron. I can't wall mount it at the present time, but I'll definitely be taking your suggestions with the 2x4.
yea if the desk is glass or cheap fiberwood, it'll eventually snap at the mounting point cuz of all that weight

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Fuckit...bit the bullet. 1300 bucks on a monitor. Jesus I need a cheaper hobby.

• 2Like
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 2 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I've thought that is the next monitor for me at times, but it's the curve that always keeps me from going in on it. Definitely interested in hearing your opinion.