Gaming and general purpose monitors

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
Anyone got a good list/review site that isn't something like pcmag.com with info I can check out? Or a straight up recommendation? Pretend I'm willing to spend up to $1500 on a sweet ass monitor setup (single, ultrawide, double monitor, whatever). Currently I have a 1080ti but will be upgrading to a 3080 once stock becomes more available.
G9 is the only ~$1000+ monitor ever really mentioned much, Hardware Unboxed do detailed monitor reviews.

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Okay so this is probably the.... 6th time I've been in this thread in the past 2 years asking for advice on a new monitor and never pulled the trigger, but this time... this time it's gonna be different!

Anyone got a good list/review site that isn't something like pcmag.com with info I can check out? Or a straight up recommendation? Pretend I'm willing to spend up to $1500 on a sweet ass monitor setup (single, ultrawide, double monitor, whatever). Currently I have a 1080ti but will be upgrading to a 3080 once stock becomes more available.
I’ve used
As a baseline and they tend to be good. Also a bit over analytical as well at times.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Okay so this is probably the.... 6th time I've been in this thread in the past 2 years asking for advice on a new monitor and never pulled the trigger, but this time... this time it's gonna be different!

Best picture and 4k/120 is a CX48

Best Value around 1200 atm is the G9 or 38GN950(costco 1300)

G9 has alot of issues that may or may not have been resolved, but visually not as good as the 38GN950

However

rather new, and quite nice specwise - picked one up from MC but havent been able to go pick it up yet.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

I am in the same exact boat. I've been waiting for stock.

I am more than happy with my monitor the ASUS. Also the LG someone posted is good too. Go with either but I can tell you right now with 1440p I am getting 100 lows 130's highs in graphic intense FPS games which is great for 1080TI
If you want constant 144 1080 than there are tons of monitors for that. I also own this one which is great. I play FPS so 1440 for me is nice.

Kais

<Gold Donor>
I ended up getting the LG 27GN850. the GN is the same monitor as the GL but without the usb hub and is a best buy exclusive model apparently, much like 83a-b is amazon's exclusive model. For contrast, while the 83a-b also does not have the usb hub of the GL the 83a-b is also missing the color gamut stuff the GL and GN have.

Last edited:

Khane

Got something right about marriage
However

rather new, and quite nice specwise - picked one up from MC but havent been able to go pick it up yet.

Hrmm, I don't think I have enough desk space for a 32". I think 27" is the sweet spot and this one doesn't seem to have a 27" model.

Thinking I might go with the 27GN950

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Hrmm, I don't think I have enough desk space for a 32". I think 27" is the sweet spot and this one doesn't seem to have a 27" model.

Thinking I might go with the 27GN950
32 isnt UW like 34 it retains near same shape as other 16:9 - Spec wise its 170hz 1440p with stellar reviews. It is based off its similar 27inch variant that had a lower refresh i think. 27GN950 is 4k144hz i think? what GPU you using?

Khane

I had mentioned in the first post right now its a 1080ti but I am upgrading to a 3080 as soon as stock becomes more available.

Khane

I ended up getting the ASUS VG27AQ since I have no idea how long its going to be before I can reliably get a 3080 and what kind of monitor tech will be out by then.

Khane

The new monitor came in today (see above post). Any tips for optimizing colors besides just playing with gamma/brightness/etc? Using a 1080ti

Khane

Ugh this is killing me. I've spent like 3 hours trying to calibrate this thing and I just cannot get it to look right in HDR mode. I've tried downloading the recommended profile for this monitor from TFT central. I've tried manually calibrating both via windows, and suggested websites. Maybe its because this is the first HDR monitor I've had but everything just looks like it has a slight green hue (more like it looks desaturated with a slight green bias), and I've tried everything I can think of but during the calibrations the grey bars look completely grey but when I finish everything thats supposed to be white has that weird desaturated hue so... shit.

I'm a monitor newb... help!

Last edited:

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Ugh this is killing me. I've spent like 3 hours trying to calibrate this thing and I just cannot get it to look right in HDR mode. I've tried downloading the recommended profile for this monitor from TFT central. I've tried manually calibrating both via windows, and suggested websites. Maybe its because this is the first HDR monitor I've had but everything just looks like it has a slight green hue (more like it looks desaturated with a slight green bias), and I've tried everything I can think of but during the calibrations the grey bars look completely grey but when I finish everything thats supposed to be white has that weird desaturated hue so... shit.

I'm a monitor newb... help!

should be a calibration setting in there that they used. Not in the discussion, but the actual review.

Khane

That icc profile is better, thanks. Still a little "weird" looking but I guess that's just because this is the first monitor I've bought in over 10 years and it's the first IPS panel + first HDR monitor.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
You should have done some research. It's not an HDR monitor, it can just accept an HDR signal. It possesses none of the specs that enables it to show HDR properly. (sufficient brightness/contrast/zones/)

Disable it and leave it off.

Khane

You should have done some research. It's not an HDR monitor, it can just accept an HDR signal. It possesses none of the specs that enables it to show HDR properly. (sufficient brightness/contrast/zones/)

Disable it and leave it off.

I mean... I did "research". The specs said HDR. Or at least seemed to. This is why I hate shopping for TVs and Monitors and why it took me so long to buy one. None of this shit makes sense because there is so much terminology and bullshit. I thought I bought the fucking monitor Regime linked!! It's got 2 different letters and it's fucking different.

FUCK!

Anyway it actually doesn't matter. I'll keep it in SDR and use it as my second monitor once I can snag a 3080 and buy a 4k true HDR monitor. Guess now I know. What you're saying makes sense and I was wondering why the fuck the monitor looked better in SDR mode. I thought my eyes were broken or something.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I mean... I did "research". The specs said HDR. Or at least seemed to. This is why I hate shopping for TVs and Monitors and why it took me so long to buy one. None of this shit makes sense because there is so much terminology and bullshit. I thought I bought the fucking monitor Regime linked!! It's got 2 different letters and it's fucking different.

FUCK!

Anyway it actually doesn't matter. I'll keep it in SDR and use it as my second monitor once I can snag a 3080 and buy a 4k true HDR monitor. Guess now I know. What you're saying makes sense and I was wondering why the fuck the monitor looked better in SDR mode. I thought my eyes were broken or something.
Yeah, monitor marketing is full of a lot of bullshit, unfortunately.

In this case, when it says 'HDR10' it literally just means it can accept an HDR signal, and that the system will recognize it as being capable of it. The problem is that the system has no actual consideration for how well it can display the HDR. So, it's sending display data intended for something that can display it well.

Many cheaper monitors are at least capable of 'HDR400' which means that it's at the bottom tier of HDR quality, but yours isn't even at that level.

Now, keep in mind that HDR in PC gaming is generally dogshit as it is right now due to few supporting games, and even some of the very expensive monitors ($1000) are still not all that great at it. And even then, windows should still be displayed as SDR instead of HDR because it's not designed for HDR. The games/movies will usually just activate it on their own.

Right now, if you really want good HDR, your only option is going with a decent TV as a monitor. The super expensive monitors with HDR can reach the brightness for good HDR, but they lack the proper number of dimming zones.

This article should help a bit as well:

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mountain Biker

Trakanon Raider
I'm considering upgrading my monitor. Currently have a 24" and am looking at getting a 32" 1440p monitor. My only concern is I have a 1070 video card. Do you think that will safely run most games OK on a 1440p monitor? I don't play anything heavy on graphics. I play stuff like Grim Dawn, Factorio, Battletech, etc.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Yeah, I've got a 1080ti and am hesitant to move up to 1440p until I can get a 3080.
1080ti is perfectly fine for 1440p unless you absolutely need to hit 144fps. Cyberpunk is the first game I've ever had trouble hitting 60fps at 1440p with my 1080ti.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users