Gaming and general purpose monitors

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Getting closer to buying a new monitor. I'm currently using a 29" LG Ultra-Wide monitor (some base level, one of the first Ultrawides from LG, nothing special 60 hz *barf*)

I think I'm leaning towards sticking with 21:9 (Ultra-wide), I really like the immersion, but open for some opens as to what you guys prefer? Been debating a move back to 16:9, and legitimately unsure. Any monitors on the horizon I should absolutely wait for? Seems hard to judge what monitors are on the way. Budget is whatever; I don't want that crazy 49" shit, as I'd prefer to stay in the 32-34" range.

How is that Dark Matter monitor so far for you guys? Is it just a 1yr warranty? Seems decent, although I'd prefer IPS.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Damnit, I want one.

Are you concerned at all about burn in? It seems like Best Buy is the only ones I saw that have the warranty to cover burn in, but its $314 dollars for it. Which would be worth it if it did actually get some burn in I would think.

Neg - I am testing out a G9 atm and not thrilled with it at all - aside from the AR which i do kinda like, the picture is just a hard pass after using an OLED to game on - Also on the OLED front i generally only turn it on when i plan to do something not requiring a static image i guess. Sure UI/HUD is a thing but i believe the last testing that was done for OLED showed no burning in even after like 4000 hours or something? Could have been more but i believe the issues people had were with the older OLED panels.

• 1Like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Getting closer to buying a new monitor. I'm currently using a 29" LG Ultra-Wide monitor (some base level, one of the first Ultrawides from LG, nothing special 60 hz *barf*)

I think I'm leaning towards sticking with 21:9 (Ultra-wide), I really like the immersion, but open for some opens as to what you guys prefer? Been debating a move back to 16:9, and legitimately unsure. Any monitors on the horizon I should absolutely wait for? Seems hard to judge what monitors are on the way. Budget is whatever; I don't want that crazy 49" shit, as I'd prefer to stay in the 32-34" range.

How is that Dark Matter monitor so far for you guys? Is it just a 1yr warranty? Seems decent, although I'd prefer IPS.
My Dark Matter 34" UWD has been freaking awesome so far, a ton of bang for the buck and it uses the better panel (than some of the other budget 34" UWD's do). For $500 hard to go wrong - though I would say the Alienware on sale through amazon for $899 would be tempting as well as it seems like it's a bit better.

Either way, aside from 144hz, moving from a normal screen to an UWD screen has been the biggest pc upgrade I've made in forever (including new gfx card and cpu a few months ago). It just totally changes the way you consume the game and is an awesome upgrade.

• 1Like

slippery

<Bronze Donator>

Some nice stuff on the horizon, like a 32.5" 4k 144hz HDR 1000 display. Hopefully will only cost one kidney instead of two.
This is pretty interesting

An interesting new panel size/format has appeared in their plans as well. The LM400RW1-SSA1 is expected to go in to production in Q1 2021 and will offer a 40″ sized IPS panel. It has a 5120 x 2160 resolution which is an ultrawide format close to 21:9 aspect ratio. This panel would be curved with a 2500R and offers 1000:1 contrast ratio, 300 cd/m2 brightness and 98% DCI-P3 specs so far.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>

Some nice stuff on the horizon, like a 32.5" 4k 144hz HDR 1000 display. Hopefully will only cost one kidney instead of two.

A new 5K2K Ultrawide IPS Panel in 40″ Size​

An interesting new panel size/format has appeared in their plans as well. The LM400RW1-SSA1 is expected to go in to production in Q1 2021 and will offer a 40″ sized IPS panel. It has a 5120 x 2160 resolution which is an ultrawide format close to 21:9 aspect ratio. This panel would be curved with a 2500R and offers 1000:1 contrast ratio, 300 cd/m2 brightness and 98% DCI-P3 specs so far.

I am excite for more infos. Might even have a 3080 around that time.

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
So I just ordered a PC with a 3080 in it. Won't get it for a month, but I didn't get a monitor with it. If I had a grand or so, maybe a bit more to spend on a monitor that maybe isn't 49 inches that would take the best advantage of what the 3080 can do what is it?

If 5k is THAT much better, I could likely find a place for 49 inch monitor. So if that curved samsung really is that great, let me know that too.

Opinions are appreciated, thanks.

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
haha amazon has the 55" for the same price as the 48". Think it'll fit on my desk?

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Anyone have a suggestion for a cheap-but-good monitor to use with Series X (and/or X1X if I don't end up selling it off right away) when not at home? MS-compatible Freesync is a must, 120+Hz would be nice, and since I'd be looking at 27" most likely I think 1440p is fine.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I've been wanting something similar but not quite that big. The market just isn't quite right yet. You can find 2/4k 17.3" in brands I'm skeptical about but a 21"ish 4k with a tablet like protector for carrying around would be so great.

One I've looked at but just not quite right. The best ones are in 15" range but just to small

Vorph

Yeah, I have a bit more freedom there since I don't actually need it to be portable. Even so, I've been looking at newegg since they're running Black Friday sales all month and I just don't see anything that meets my criteria. Not sure I'd actually buy from them anyway, they've always been assholes in the past when it comes to pixel policies.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Yeah I'm in the market for something new as well. Both my displays are 12 years old and I'd like something more up to date. I don't need a 4K or anything, thinking a 1440 would be fine. I'd like it a minimum of 27 inches, larger is fine if the price it right I literally don't care how big it goes from there. Anyone have good suggestions? I suck with monitor specs and at knowing what's priced well and what isn't respectively.

Last edited:

Vorph

Yeah I'm in the market for something new as well. Both my displays are 12 years old and I'd like something more up to date. I don't need a 4K or anything, thinking a 1440 would be fine. I'd like it a minimum of 27 inches, larger is fine if the price it right I literally don't care how bit it goes from there. Anyone have good suggestions? I suck with monitor specs and at knowing what's priced well and hat isn't respectively.
I can't find a 27" 1440p 120+Hz Freesync with DisplayHDR 400--and having watched ACG's review of the Series X now, those are my hard reqs for a monitor to use with it--for less than $450 (Viewsonic Elite XG270QC, which unfortunately is curved... I don't even particularly like curved on my 34" ultrawide, so the idea of doing it to a 27" 16:9 seems straight up retarded to me). If you scratch off HDR, the best deal seems to be the HP x27i (which is not curved) at $300. I haven't seen it personally but my older 1080p IPS panels from HP were fantastic.

I don't need the monitor the moment I get my Series X, so hopefully there will be some Black Friday deals that are more palatable.

Even if you're using it with a PC rather than console like I need one for, I would still insist on those specs with one exception. HDR is pretty much garbage in PC games due to Windows' implementation sucking ass, so you can definitely skip that "feature" to save money. Though I would check the brightness carefully before buying anything since even if it doesn't support HDR you should still be looking for something in the 300-400 nit range or the image will just look like ass. The HP x27i is 350 nits, so it's within acceptable range.

Last edited:

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I can't find a 27" 1440p 120+Hz Freesync with DisplayHDR 400--and having watched ACG's review of the Series X now, those are my hard reqs for a monitor to use with it--for less than $450 (Viewsonic Elite XG270QC, which unfortunately is curved... I don't even particularly like curved on my 34" ultrawide, so the idea of doing it to a 27" 16:9 seems straight up retarded to me). If you scratch off HDR, the best deal seems to be the HP x27i (which is not curved) at $300. I haven't seen it personally but my older 1080p IPS panels from HP were fantastic.

I don't need the monitor the moment I get my Series X, so hopefully there will be some Black Friday deals that are more palatable.

Even if you're using it with a PC rather than console like I need one for, I would still insist on those specs with one exception. HDR is pretty much garbage in PC games due to Windows' implementation sucking ass, so you can definitely skip that "feature" to save money. Though I would check the brightness carefully before buying anything since even if it doesn't support HDR you should still be looking for something in the 300-400 nit range or the image will just look like ass. The HP x27i is 350 nits, so it's within acceptable range.

man half that read like another language and reminds me just how little know know about display specs. HDR was all I knew pretty much, haha.

• 1Worf