Gaming and general purpose monitors

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Couldn't do it haha. Can't risk this desk
What do you mean?

The triple monitor bow goes onto either the wall-mount or desk clamp mount arm as an attachment.

So you could have 3 of the LG monitors on the bow, they're only like 6 pounds each.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I don't trust it as irrational as that is. But 3 of those LGs would be nice as fuck

We have the same desk setup, except your countertop is more durable than mine, and mine could handle it. You're good as long as you have a leg under where it would be mounted in order to prevent eventual sagging

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Got an Alienware aw3420dw in April.

Join the Ultra wide master race, it is worth it.

Cant imagine going from ultrawide back to anything else - I have the PG35VQ and tempted to actually sell it off and go to the 38 inch LG

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Cant imagine going from ultrawide back to anything else - I have the PG35VQ and tempted to actually sell it off and go to the 38 inch LG
The only thing stopping me from getting the 38 inch LG is I have no idea how I'd mount it properly or get a GPU that could push that many pixels in games.

But it seems like a fantastic monitor.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
The only thing stopping me from getting the 38 inch LG is I have no idea how I'd mount it properly or get a GPU that could push that many pixels in games.

But it seems like a fantastic monitor.
3090ti obviously

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I've gotta say, having owned both, G-Sync Compatible is definitely not G-Sync.

G-Sync Compatible I have to cap my frames at -3 from the refresh rate to fully prevent screen tearing because it can't stay perfectly in sync when bouncing around the refresh rate cap, where with G-Sync it just works no matter what.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I've gotta say, having owned both, G-Sync Compatible is definitely not G-Sync.

G-Sync Compatible I have to cap my frames at -3 from the refresh rate to fully prevent screen tearing because it can't stay perfectly in sync when bouncing around the refresh rate cap, where with G-Sync it just works no matter what.
You're supposed to cap at -3 regardless of what type of async it is to minimize input lag. The reason for the cap is to avoid vsync kicking in while having it enabled because it has other benefits. Losing 3 fps to gain lower input lag is a no-brainer trade-off.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
This isn't monitor-related but maybe someone can help me out. I need a good gaming keyboard with backlit keys since I'm playing EQ in dim light lately. Not going to spend too much on one, though. Just need something basic. I'm looking at these five. Going to order one tomorrow night. If anyone has a suggestion for something else or experience with one of these let me know.

And the current frontrunner:

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
This isn't monitor-related but maybe someone can help me out. I need a good gaming keyboard with backlit keys since I'm playing EQ in dim light lately. Not going to spend too much on one, though. Just need something basic. I'm looking at these five. Going to order one tomorrow night. If anyone has a suggestion for something else or experience with one of these let me know.

And the current frontrunner:

At that price point everything is going to be pretty much the same quality wise. If you wanted to spend a bit more for a decent mechanical keyboard, I bought one of these to use at work. Quite pleasant to type on, no software necessary to mes with the lighting. It is a clicky keyboard though, so skip it if noise bothers you.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
At that price point everything is going to be pretty much the same quality wise. If you wanted to spend a bit more for a decent mechanical keyboard, I bought one of these to use at work. Quite pleasant to type on, no software necessary to mes with the lighting. It is a clicky keyboard though, so skip it if noise bothers you.

Clicking does bother me a little bit. I wish there were a spec on Amazon telling you the "level of clickiness" on all of these keyboards.

I'd kinda like one with a programmable auto-hotkey function for EQ farming purposes, but I have AutoKeyboard either way.

• 1Like

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Clicking does bother me a little bit. I wish there were a spec on Amazon telling you the "level of clickiness" on all of these keyboards.

For that you pretty much have to find out what switches they use and then look up the details on them.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Getting a bag of o-rings and putting them on can help quite a bit

They help with the noise of bottoming out the keys, but the keyboard I linked clicks at the point of actuation as well. That and the keycaps aren't on simple posts so you can't put o-rings on them.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>

Cool display, interesting to find out 1000r is also the curvature of your eye.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
They help with the noise of bottoming out the keys, but the keyboard I linked clicks at the point of actuation as well. That and the keycaps aren't on simple posts so you can't put o-rings on them.
most annoying thing is putting on o-rings and then figuring out you dont need em, and they suck so you gotta take em off and they then fly everywhere!

Janx

<Silver Donator>
I JUST watched this. I will be out about $2500 early next year, or whenever the 3080's drop.
The one thing I'm really disliking about the ultrawide factor is something he mentioned in that video. Some games give you a "fake" ultrawide by just reducing the vertical pixels. I was playing Terraria and a guy I was playing with was telling me to look at something at the bottom of the screen. He didn't believe me when I said I couldn't see it so we both took screen shots and compared. My horizontal plane showed exactly the same amount of data as his but there was a good bit clipped off the top and bottom in order to make the image fit the ultrawide resolution.

Update:
Here's what he sees
1594389732633.png

Here's what I see
1594389753598.png

• 1Like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Now for the BIG version of the display above:

Man I'd probably buy that to see what the UW hype is about but..... 32:9? Why not 21:9? How many games or applications even support that? Otherwise, looks like a great monitor