Gemini Man (2019)

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
lol in this clip from the studio, the car changes from green for 90% of the scene to suddenly white in the last 10 seconds. maybe this movie will be a masterpiece in continuity error OR maybe this movie is actually secretly a Transformers movie and thats Optimus Prime

Going above 24 FPS is a mistake for films. The bump adds so much more clarity to shots that it makes it almost impossible to cover up special effects and make them look right. The lower quality from 24 FPS makes it far easier to suspend belief, because the movie doesn't look like 'real life'. Once movies wade too far into something from a home video camera, bullshit special effects just look weird. (Also, make up and everything ends up looking terrible.)

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
the car doesn't turn from green to white... there's some real weird editing. when he's up against the white car, you can see the green car he was just against ahead of him. basically while young will was showboating on the bike, old will tried to get away and moved against a different car. but that whole last chunk looks like it's taken from a completely different scene in the first place. it's really hard to get any kind of spatial understanding
The green Honda has moved significantly in position relative to where the scene started and now a white Kia or Hyundai is where it was and he’s had just enough time to stand up. Complete continuity failure.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
The green Honda has moved significantly in position relative to where the scene started and now a white Kia or Hyundai is where it was and he’s had just enough time to stand up. Complete continuity failure.
my guess is that some stuff was edited out for the trailer. i mean, because if it's not...

• 1Direct to DVD
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
he also does that weird pushoff thing where he literally floats like a hovercraft from a flat on the ground position, i'm not a muscle guy is such a thing even possible?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
he also does that weird pushoff thing where he literally floats like a hovercraft from a flat on the ground position, i'm not a muscle guy is such a thing even possible?

Not by any stretch of the imagination. Even if you could apply that much force with just your arms, you wouldn't plank yourself into the air because your arms aren't underneath your center of mass.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Him flipping up off his back was too overdone. Instead they went with the ...flop jump?

Either way it's strange how some reviews are praising the CGI and young Smith but I dont see it. I dont understand how 100 plus FPS automatically makes whatever action sequence a masterclass in cinematography.

spronk

FPS noob
there's zero doubt this movie is gonna suck but if you have A-List, these are the 14 AMC theaters that will show this movie in 120 fps 3D on the Dolby screens. even if the movie sucks at least I can gawk at the latest tech deployment

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Dolby Cinema only supports 2K/120 so if you opt for the 120 option know it won't be in 4K

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
For some reason I thought this movie already released and went away. Maybe I'll hit up the Dolby Cinema for the spectacle.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
yea another different (white) car just came into the mix, even the brands are different, no idea what green car is but white car is a VW

Fadaar

That guy
good god the cgi in that bike when it spins around to hit him looks so bad, or if it isn't cgi it's the high framerate looking janky

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
good god the cgi in that bike when it spins around to hit him looks so bad, or if it isn't cgi it's the high framerate looking janky
it's definitely cgi and it's definitely bad

spronk

FPS noob
120 FPS 3D HFR was amazing as fuck, like watching Planet Earth II on an OLED for the first time. Mind blown by how good the visuals were. There were a few amazing action shots (guns shooting and man on fire scenes in 120 were CRAZY) but also a lot of action scenes that looked TERRIBLE too.

Movie sucked ass, story made little to no sense and Will Smith is horribly miscast. Its supposed to be a John Wick or Jason Bourne like character but its played by Will Smith like a usual Will Smith character. Made no sense. CGI was very uneven, sometimes the face was good and sometimes it was really bad.

That "green car turns into white" was fine, that trailer cut like 20 seconds out which shows him moving from A to B.

If you have access to the 120 fps HFR+ Dolby screens (only 12 screens, linked up above somewhere) and have A-List to see it free its worth it as a "technical demo of 120 fps", but definitely not worth paying for.

Singh'sSpot

Blackwing Lair Raider
You know of this was a movie about time travel and Will time traveling back and encountering his younger self hell yeah I'd be down for that, the Fresh Prince all over again.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Screenshotted>
iu

darkmiasma

Trakanon Raider
So was it that they got Ludacris and told him about the trope involving all Will Smith characters essentially just being Will Smith Being Will Smith.

Then he came back and pitched "How about a movie with Will Smith being Will Smith hunting Will Smith being Will Smith"?

That's Xzibit.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Technically amazing to watch at HFR. With the turret shooting up the storefront it was like watching some 3DMark demo or something. Movie was shit though.