General Gaming News and Discussion

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
So, like mkopec mkopec mkopec mkopec , games just don't get you off like they used to anymore. Almost like if you repeat the same activity countless times, with extremely similar mechanics, it starts losing its novelty! Who knew?!
What was once a fundamental and unbelievably impactful component of gaming has vanished. DOTA(i bought wc3 specifically just to play dota, did not care about wc3 itself), Counter Strike, Team Fortress etc. all mods that went on to have tremendous impact to the world of gaming, DOTA creating an entire massive genre itself.

If you really think losing that freedom/ability is just rose tinted glasses, I dont know what to tell you.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
interesting that the person who's screeching about regulation for crypto
Citation needed.

Saying "this is what happens when you let exchanges act as unregulated investment banks" is not screeching for regulation.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Because you geezers keep making reference to the "good ole days!" and "games suck now compared to "then"!" which is right around that 1998-2008ish era that you're harkening back to. I included games across the entire "era", not just 2002. Just like games I use in my examples of gaming being objectively better now are from the "recent" era 2014-2022 (you know, after Gamergate and everything supposedly becoming "woke") that you guys claim is total shit.

Because every title in the "good ole days!" was fantastic, right? They definitely didn't release dozens of shit games back then!! The only reason it was only in the dozens and wasn't in the hundreds or thousands like it is now is because gaming in general was still pretty "new" - PC gaming especially was. Rest assured, if the tech had been there to make a game with 4 people in your basement in 2 weeks, there would've been thousands of shit games then too.
1997 was objectively the best year for video games and it's not close.

1671981877062.png

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
What was once a fundamental and unbelievably impactful component of gaming has vanished. DOTA(i bought wc3 specifically just to play dota, did not care about wc3 itself), Counter Strike, Team Fortress etc. all mods that went on to have tremendous impact to the world of gaming, DOTA creating an entire massive genre itself.

If you really think losing that freedom/ability is just rose tinted glasses, I dont know what to tell you.

This still exists in Roblox, Minecraft, and Fortnite. All of which are extremely popular.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
No because youre buying... fucking cards to collect. Just like youre buying comics or whatever the fuck you collect . If you buy 2022 card decks you have no fucking clue what will be of worth in 10-20 yrs, they are all essentially worthless. Plus there isnt some magical "rare" or "super rare"cards with a lower drop chance Or at least I dont think there are. You can guess on the players that will be rookies or whatever that will one day be superstars but you just dont know. But in the end they are getting cards to build a "full set". Many just buy them because they like baseball/basketball/hockey and think they are cool. Shit I used to buy them in the 80s and I traded them with other kids. I suppose you could call this shit gambling if you intend to score some money card, but again you just dont know in 2022 set which card will be that money card.

You don't know shit about trading cards. It's absolutely about getting the super rare special edition cards where only a small number are made which is directly tied to their value.

Claiming "Yeah but you get a card!!" Is no different than getting a weapon or character or whatever from the loot box.

Then you claim it's only sort of like gambling if you're trying to get a "money card" which is a weird argument to make when earlier you didn't think making money was a necessary part of gambling

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
We don't need regulation we just need to put benevolent AI in charge of everything:

1672023141816.png

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
1997 was objectively the best year for video games and it's not close.

View attachment 449896
1997 is to video games what 1999 was to movies. However, 2010 and 2015 gave 1997 a pretty decent run for its money.

There's still a massive mod community around plenty of games. Did I miss a memo where games are no longer moddable?

Shit, basically the entire GTA RP scene was born out of the modding community.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
1997 is to video games what 1999 was to movies. However, 2010 and 2015 gave 1997 a pretty decent run for its money.

There's still a massive mod community around plenty of games. Did I miss a memo where games are no longer moddable?

Shit, basically the entire GTA RP scene was born out of the modding community.
There is a GTA RP scene? Some things are better left unknown

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Some of the recent Sony timed exclusives are just timed for PC, and are console exclusive. If that wasn't clear before, it's come up now as part of regulators consideration of the MS acquisition of Activision Blizzard.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Square and Xbox had talks regarding FF14 multiple times, but Microsoft's offer/position was not at all conducive to bringing it there.

No surprise that SE games aren't heading over and no surprise that Microsoft is blocking Bethesda games from going over. But at the same time FF7R was exclusive on PC to epic games for awhile because they shelled out the big bucks for it.