General Gaming News and Discussion

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Wow, that's nuts. These guys were bidding up their own items to inflate their value.

My favorite part in the first video is when he talks about how no Game Journalists thought to question any of it and all just dutifully reported things that didn't make sense. So...they're as incompetent and easily-swayed as real journalists.
Welcome to the world of "rare collectiables". Its all either fraud or money laundering.

Talos

Silver Baronet of the Realm
ryan reynolds hd GIF
You play Battlefield 2042.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Generally means difficult, punishing combat with very unforgiving combat mechanics, very tight dodge/parry windows, and a need to learn patterns rather than just wading in mashing attack, usually third person. Games like Jedi: Fallen Order, Darksiders 3, or anything by FromSoft.
If you're as bad as I am at video games, everything is a souls-like.

• 7Worf
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 9 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I don't have any sealed games, except the Elden Ring Collector's Edition box which I'm hanging onto until some future point. The only old game I have in-box at this point is Kirby's Dream Land which was the first game I ever got. Problem is, I sold my entire old game collection in the early 2010's. Made about $2000 altogether which isn't shabby, but it'd have been worth probably 5 times that now.

Cybsled

Never owned any collectables. Other than baseball cards when I was young. We really didn't even think about getting rich. You could watch them play on TV and look up their stats on the card since it was way before the internet.

The only collectibles ever worth anything are things not meant to be collectibles, stuff subject to bubbles, or stuff that is actually rare and desirable

Most shit falls under #2. #1 is the dream, and #3 usually gets scooped up before plebs get a shot at it

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I had a sealed Majoras Mask that I never opened because I was pissed you needed the expansion pack for N64 to play it. I was blown away when I sold it for $500 around 2010.

• 1Pathetic
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I had a sealed Majoras Mask that I never opened because I was pissed you needed the expansion pack for N64 to play it. I was blown away when I sold it for $500 around 2010.

I've noticed that a ton of other people (including me) sold a lot/most/all of their games in 2010. I wonder what it was about that particular year. For whatever reason it seemed like a good time to offload everything. I was mostly playing PS2/3 and emulators at that point, so everything pre-PS2 didn't serve much purpose anymore except collecting dust. I sold SO MANY mint in-box NES/SNES/PS1 games for like $20. The only thing that I think I got "what it's worth" on by modern standards was the very beat-up complete-in-box Earthbound I had, which fetched $600 or so. Given how beat-up it was (big boxes don't store well over the years if they're in a closet somewhere), I'm surprised I got that much. And of course I wish I'd sold everything in 2021+ instead, at the massively inflated prices of the modern era. Well, if a complete in box Kirby's Dream Land ever soars in value, I've got it.

turbo

Molten Core Raider
If I could find a rare "Infiltrator" for NES i'd pay hundreds just to take it out to a mining blast and blow it to kingdom come. Haunts me to this day....we were young kids and my brother got Castlevania for xmas and I got "Infiltrator". 100's of attempts of fucking trying to pass the first round to fly my helictopter i finally make it to stage 2 and die in first minute. I beat almost every single NES game made when I was a young lad including all the traditional hard core ass rape games we all know and love but fuck me if infiltrator didn't almost stop me from being a video game player before I ever started.

Actually...god I'd probably be POTUS at this point had I not gotten mixed up in video games :(

1672289526429.png

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
How do you get that Steam Replay view? My Dashboard doesn't look like that on Steam App, Mobile, or Desktop. Duh, thanks Edaw Edaw

9c610c63-11e5-445a-838f-c9cd12e8b31c.png

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've noticed that a ton of other people (including me) sold a lot/most/all of their games in 2010. I wonder what it was about that particular year. For whatever reason it seemed like a good time to offload everything. I was mostly playing PS2/3 and emulators at that point, so everything pre-PS2 didn't serve much purpose anymore except collecting dust. I sold SO MANY mint in-box NES/SNES/PS1 games for like $20. The only thing that I think I got "what it's worth" on by modern standards was the very beat-up complete-in-box Earthbound I had, which fetched $600 or so. Given how beat-up it was (big boxes don't store well over the years if they're in a closet somewhere), I'm surprised I got that much. And of course I wish I'd sold everything in 2021+ instead, at the massively inflated prices of the modern era. Well, if a complete in box Kirby's Dream Land ever soars in value, I've got it.
Yeah I don't know to be honest, I sold a bunch of my SNES stuff to buy a PS2 save for like 6 games with all the boxes... FF6, Chrono Trigger, Ken Griffey Jr Baseball, Secret of Mana, Donkey Kong Country, and Super Metroid (can't believe I remember all of them). Then I sold my PS2 and games to buy a Gamecube, and the Majora's Mask was because my parents were moving and it was in the last box of stuff I had at their house since I had moved out a couple years earlier.

spronk

FPS noob

1672340050879.png

Dying Light 2 being in the top is interesting

kinda sad 90% of games that make money now are all just f2p games

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Apex is a legitimately good game. I can't believe PUBG is still so popular.

• 1Truth!

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

View attachment 450515
Dying Light 2 being in the top is interesting

kinda sad 90% of games that make money now are all just f2p games

Story was decent, fuckton of content and quests for a completionist to chew on-- but the DLC not having any story, and going the Elden Ring route (PvP/PvE arena style DLC) when nobody actually likes DL2 combat is a major blow to the DL franchise.

Ring can do a PvP DLC because people actually enjoy combat in Ring. DL2 combat was never a strong point in terms of fun, so a DLC in DL2 where combat is the MAIN focus in a PvE arena with a leaderboard has almost no appeal outside of diehards. Calisto Protocol combat shits on it, and isn't even particularly done well. Calisto Protocol combat with DL2 story would have been more appropriate.

Overall, really disappointed to know DL2 sold that well only to release a human excrement DLC. Hopefully nobody bought it and the message gets sent. I know it was like 5.99 and a small DLC, but it wasn't what DL2 players wanted. At all.

It's interesting insofar as the DLC content DL2 promised has not been delivered.

• 1Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Quick question: Never played Minecraft personally. However I am giving my old laptop to my nephew and wanted to set up Minecraft for him. Is the Java version or Windows version better? I assume it's just preference?