General Gaming News and Discussion

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
1997 was objectively the best year for video games and it's not close.

View attachment 449896

I'll see your 1997 and raise you that 2000 is objectively better.

-Final Fantasy IX
-Grandia 2
-Wild Arms 2
-Chrono Cross
-Vagrant Story
-Valkyrie Profile
-Skies of Arcadia
-Deus Ex
-Diablo 2
-Counter-Strike
-The Sims
-Majora's Mask
-Paper Mario
-Perfect Dark
-Pokemon Gold and Silver
-Pokemon Crystal
-Icewind Dale
-Baldur's Gate 2
-Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2

• 4Like
  • 1Dislike
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 5 users

Talos

Silver Baronet of the Realm
The embarassing part is, for as much as I play dota and for how long (since wc3 custom map) I still suck pretty bad. Herald rank.

image.png

Ikkan

Molten Core Raider
0cef9dcf-824b-4744-a6bd-f17eb9def916.png

I always like these sort of things, they're fun to look at and see where I wasted my time the most.

• 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

So I was watching some of this video, and in the last minute or so he talks about how he's in massive debt from buying a 9.8 graded Mario 64, before throwing it in the trash. What's the story here?

I googled it and all I get are a zillion articles about how a 9.8 copy of Mario 64 sold for $1.3 million. I'm guessing that's the very copy that shows up in this video? Since apparently only one 9.8 Mario 64 exists.

From what I can surmise, some numbnut bought it for $1.3m and then it plummeted in value (since the value was a complete bubble to begin with).

I'm not up at all on all of this video game grading business, but I heard WATA is getting sued. I'd like to find out more about this whole deal and the speculative bubble/crash it created.

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
So I was watching some of this video, and in the last minute or so he talks about how he's in massive debt from buying a 9.8 graded Mario 64, before throwing it in the trash. What's the story here?

I googled it and all I get are a zillion articles about how a 9.8 copy of Mario 64 sold for $1.3 million. I'm guessing that's the very copy that shows up in this video? Since apparently only one 9.8 Mario 64 exists.

From what I can surmise, some numbnut bought it for $1.3m and then it plummeted in value (since the value was a complete bubble to begin with).

I'm not up at all on all of this video game grading business, but I heard WATA is getting sued. I'd like to find out more about this whole deal and the speculative bubble/crash it created.

It was bought by Jim Halperin in order to promote a pump and dump style Ponzi scheme. He's a member of the WATA board and Heritage auctions (which means he essentially sold it to himself,) he was fined over a mil for doing exactly the same thing in the coin market way back in the 80s.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Goonsquad Officer
behold my spergery. i'm honestly shocked i put that much time into lost ark. i must have sat AFK grinding up the estate a while. i didn't explore far into the outer world after the first continent, and barely grinded shit.

1672192536432.png

i found this chat to be kind of interesting too:

1672192956951.png

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Very little of my gaming time is on steam. Games started on steam and I had them moved off. PoE and Eve online.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
This is mine, as expected Lost Ark towers over everything else due to the sheer amount of time I spent on it during the first ~3months, but I don't think I'll ever play it again. I didn't dislike it too much but I figured I just really hate raiding nowadays unless I have a clear goal and even then. And Lost Ark is basically just about raiding, there's a bunch of stuff to collect which I did, but once you reach the point where I was, there's nothing else besides grinding repetitive daily content and raiding. I still play FFXIV every few patches because I find other stuff to do(fishing, crafting, side content like Blue Mage and the story) but Lost Ark is basically just new raids and very little side content added, and unlike FFXIV where I can just do raids casually in normal mode and dungeon runs and stuff like that, Lost Ark is very much just "serious" content. It's not that hard but having to do 8man pubs in content that's a bit challenging is just frustrating, and farming it in premades week after week is very unfun to me.

Terraria comes second this year and it's combined with tmodloader which is modded terraria, following the new update I spent a lot of time playing modded, it was a lot of fun, the mods people make are pretty crazy, basically being an additional game on top of the base game. TW:W3 and Elden Ring next, and after that MH Rise, got a lot less addicted than World although I still have 200hours of that which shows how much of the rest I've played.

Lots of "games played" was me misclicking a game or launching something when I didn't know what to play next though, I didn't play that many games, only about a dozen overall with a bunch of much shorter ones.

dcd0c75b-5c8a-48ff-a4b1-846a6f8e4f25.png

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Wow, that's nuts. These guys were bidding up their own items to inflate their value.

My favorite part in the first video is when he talks about how no Game Journalists thought to question any of it and all just dutifully reported things that didn't make sense. So...they're as incompetent and easily-swayed as real journalists.

O_T

Trakanon Raider
Every few years these collector bubble happen with something. I remember coins and stamps, into baseball cards and cabbage patch kids, into comic books and beanie babies, etc. Now it's Pokemon cards and games. After watching those videos I wouldn't be surprised if the same people were behind all of it.

Only sealed games i own are Star Wars Galaxies cause I preordered it then played the beta and didn't like it and Suikoden II and Thousand Arms cause I picked them up at the same time as Ultima Online and I got hooked on mmos.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Never owned any collectables. Other than baseball cards when I was young. We really didn't even think about getting rich. You could watch them play on TV and look up their stats on the card since it was way before the internet.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
wtf is Souls-like?
Generally means difficult, punishing combat with very unforgiving combat mechanics, very tight dodge/parry windows, and a need to learn patterns rather than just wading in mashing attack, usually third person. Games like Jedi: Fallen Order, Darksiders 3, or anything by FromSoft.

• 1Like