General Gaming News and Discussion

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Fuckin' A. Prepare for penance.

Damn, this looks good. I gotta get ahold of Blasphemous 1. Looks like a combination Soulsborne+Metroidvania which are basically my two favorite genres at this point, plus the world and boss designs are incredibly unique.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
Blasphemous sucked.
No fall damage? Awesome.
Dying in a metroidvania because you feel into an open pit instead of just falling to the screen below? Absolutely pants on fucking head retarded.

But that's just me.

• 1Pathetic
Reactions: 1 user

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
Blasphemous sucked.
No fall damage? Awesome.
Dying in a metroidvania because you feel into an open pit instead of just falling to the screen below? Absolutely pants on fucking head retarded.

But that's just me.

It's just you. Blasphemous is awesome, and you can definitely fall to the screen below IF there is a screen below, sounds like you just fell into a good old death pit without anything below it, the falling to the screen below mechanic is used a lot in the game to find a lot of stuff.

I've played a bunch of Metroidvania games on the Switch and Blasphemous is among the best ones, up there with the Ori games. Definitely a different atmosphere though, very hardcore religious and bloody as hell.

• 2Like

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
Y
Blasphemous sucked.
No fall damage? Awesome.

But that's just me.

You needed a trinket to fall to the screen below.

Mostly good but Bloodstained, from the same year, was way ahead.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Bloodstained was solid, but my capstone metroidvania of the past 5ish years was Hollow Knight. Blasphemous is cool though, I need to get back to it.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Wondering how many years before we have almost entirely AI rendering pipelines. Roughly model stuff out with polygons, supplement with photography then an AI model does all the texture-mapping and post-processing.
Not long. Midjourney but with access to LIDAR maps? /imagine Paris France done in steampunk style, 4 seasons. Sit back, wait a few minutes, and Presto! There's your steampunk Paris map done in each season.

Hell, it won't be long before entire movies are made in AI.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Not long. Midjourney but with access to LIDAR maps? /imagine Paris France done in steampunk style, 4 seasons. Sit back, wait a few minutes, and Presto! There's your steampunk Paris map done in each season.

Hell, it won't be long before entire movies are made in AI.
A Q&A team will still need to run through everything an AI modifies or creates. Which, imo, will ultimately be the job title that programmers will have as time passes.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
That's not what I'm talking about, I'm talking about at the renderer, not the at the scene modeling.

As in, the next frame is based on deviation from the previous frame, using an AI model, rather than tessellation and rasterization.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
That's not what I'm talking about, I'm talking about at the renderer, not the at the scene modeling.

As in, the next frame is based on deviation from the previous frame, using an AI model, rather than tessellation and rasterization.
Pssst. Your penis is showing.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
A Q&A team will still need to run through everything an AI modifies or creates. Which, imo, will ultimately be the job title that programmers will have as time passes.
The code-writing ability of AI has been vastly overstated, mostly by people who have not written code, or by people who code a lot but are shilling for people to buy GPT 40 subs.

What it can do is impressive for what is effectively interactive autocomplete, but the idea of fully automated coding is so far from where we're at that it's not funny.

OpenAI will make another training run sometime in the fall. I do not expect that to produce something that's a massive leap from where we're at.

People don't understand that they have GPT-3 for years before showing off 3.5 to the public in order to generate hype for GPT-4. People also do not understand that the model does not train in realtime.

Anyone who isn't an every-day programmer that thinks AI can automate coding should try actually writing something with it. If it's so easy, you should be making the next great app/game in no time, right?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rabbit_Games

Molten Core Raider
"In no time" is relative. How many years before Man made fire? And from that to the Moon? I just turned 52 which means I've got less years ahead of me than behind, but in the time I probably have left I fully expect to see computers writing far more complex and efficient programs to run shit.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
"In no time" is relative. How many years before Man made fire? And from that to the Moon? I just turned 52 which means I've got less years ahead of me than behind, but in the time I probably have left I fully expect to see computers writing far more complex and efficient programs to run shit.
10years ago flappy bird was released and was a world wide sensation

Rabbit_Games

Molten Core Raider
I'm just saying... I'm old enough to remember sitting in front of our Black & White TV. Now I carry a tracking and listening device in my pocket that can communicate with people on the other side of the globe. If we can keep from killing each other, I don't think it wise to assume the limits of our potential.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
My grandfather was born in a sod hut on a cattle ranch, rode a horse to school, and didn't have electricity for the first 15 years of his life until he built and installed a turbine on his windmill. Then he became and electrical engineer and built computers the size of buildings out of vacuum tubes that had less computing power than a solar calculator you now get free at the drug store. My kids literally cannot comprehend life without instant global connectivity and the sum total of human knowledge in their pocket.

My wife works in AI and I understand a fair bit about the state of the art. It's both much more and much less impressive than most people assume, in different ways. But the overall rate of progress is fucking wild and humans are not good at forecasting on exponential curves. Tech is going to be a veeeeery different space in 10-15 years.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
But the overall rate of progress is fucking wild and humans are not good at forecasting on exponential curves.
Quick reminder: when it comes to technologies, it's almost never exponential curves. It's always a S-curve: it's hard at the beginning, then things start falling together and progress is fast, then you slowly enter the refinement age, when progress becomes incremental again.

Right now, we're leaving the first age of AI, when it was hard.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Quick reminder: when it comes to technologies, it's almost never exponential curves. It's always a S-curve

For individual technologies, yes, but in aggregate we've been on a super-linear pace for the last couple centuries. Obviously nothing is exponential in perpetuity. It will be interesting to see what happens when population flattens out.