General Gaming News and Discussion

spronk

FPS noob

if you've never heard of them (me neither) they were the video game "journalists" who would always publish stuff like "Is GTA racist? Is Call of Duty sexist? Is Twitch sexist AND racist?" (the answer of course is always yes)

does going woke make you go broke?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Did they start out as something else first? Otherwise they didn't go anywhere. They were a parked car that eventually caught on fire and insurance wrote them off.

velk

Trakanon Raider
"In no time" is relative. How many years before Man made fire? And from that to the Moon? I just turned 52 which means I've got less years ahead of me than behind, but in the time I probably have left I fully expect to see computers writing far more complex and efficient programs to run shit.

Even when chatgpt is writing flawless code, it's not solving the problem that people think it is solving. It is providing answers to questions that developers are asking, not that people who are not developers are asking.

It's 'good' at answering 'Write me a python module to connect to an oracle database and execute a stored procedure', but is completely helpless at 'Make me a report that shows the top sales statistics from our sales database' for the same reason that real people are, even though these are superficially the same request. The people paying developers to work on code mostly do not know what they actually want, and the few that do are unable to clearly articulate it.

If the ordinary user asking chatgpt to write the above sales report can provide the connect string and how it varies by environment, specify how to access the credentials, explain the schema for the underlying tables and what the columns actually mean, explain what the output format of the report should be, and what it will be running on, explain how to get credentials for the reporting system, and who should have access to the report etc - that person is now a developer.

Ironically, I'd suggest it's more likely that chat-gpt replaces sales people before it replaces engineers - confident sounding glib bullshit is its greatest strength and it has no problems with depression or angst at being told to fuck off by angry people when it cold calls them during dinner to try and sell them extended warranties.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
The people paying developers to work on code mostly do not know what they actually want, and the few that do are unable to clearly articulate it.
Which is why good project managers are incredibly good (and expensive): it's because they can get at the heart of what's needed. Or why Agile methods were invented: you don't know what they want, so show them something, see if it fits, then iterate and hope you get the real requirements.

spronk

FPS noob
FvZzd-_XsAIaWeE.png

i dont think game devs have ever been chad bods tho

• 10Like
  • 8Worf
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 18 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Speaking of Chad Bod, I'm starting to get a Dad Bod due to playing all these goddamn CRPGs and FF remasters the last 2-3 months.

• 2Worf
  • 1Double Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Goonsquad Officer
Speaking of Chad Bod, I'm starting to get a Dad Bod due to playing all these goddamn CRPGs and FF remasters the last 2-3 months.
But think of all the strange you gonna pull down when you tell women about your high level party members

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
For individual technologies, yes, but in aggregate we've been on a super-linear pace for the last couple centuries. Obviously nothing is exponential in perpetuity. It will be interesting to see what happens when population flattens out.
The interesting part will be whether we become the useless shits in Wall-E or use AI to uncover and expand our actual potential as a species. I think there will be groups that go in either direction. Kind of obvious which will survive in the longer run.

If Elon starts investing in AI it is probably a good time to buy spacex stock. Cryogenics and AI are going to be key to deep space exploration. Even our current space flight capacity minus cryogenics would be vastly improved to the point where colonizing the moon, Mars, and the asteroid belt could begin within our lifetime.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
The interesting part will be whether we become the useless shits in Wall-E or use AI to uncover and expand our actual potential as a species. I think there will be groups that go in either direction. Kind of obvious which will survive in the longer run.

If Elon starts investing in AI it is probably a good time to buy spacex stock. Cryogenics and AI are going to be key to deep space exploration. Even our current space flight capacity minus cryogenics would be vastly improved to the point where colonizing the moon, Mars, and the asteroid belt could begin within our lifetime.

Yeah, I expect some bifurcation in society. I don't know that one will necessarily survive longer than the other. I can easily see an outcome where a large portion of humanity basically does nothing other than get fed and entertained by automated systems, but their offspring are needed to filter through training/opportunity to fill the ranks of those who actually get shit done.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Yeah, I expect some bifurcation in society. I don't know that one will necessarily survive longer than the other. I can easily see an outcome where a large portion of humanity basically does nothing other than get fed and entertained by automated systems, but their offspring are needed to filter through training/opportunity to fill the ranks of those who actually get shit done.
Brave New World finally coming to fruition. Basically we would only need to maintain enough population for genetic diversity and to have enough alphas being pumped out to maintain the system and push us towards the stars and beyond. Well, there are groups already trying to get that party started forcibly aka the Great Replacement. That's just going to get them woodchipped since they aren't keeping up the bread and circuses properly in the meanwhile.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
But think of all the strange you gonna pull down when you tell women about your high level party members

I'll just go to places with loud music, tell women about my level 25 warlock, and they'll be like "WHAT? YOU'RE FUNNY" while having no idea what I said.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Theyre already using a basic, much older computer program to help analyze and identify genes. If they put some actual brute force type of AI in there that can do it all by itself, without human intervention - I cant imagine it will be very long before the upper echelon of society starts (or vastly increases) the gene editing their offspring which will permanently alter the human race for the better (imo). Even if only the Rich ever have it, those genes will eventually propagate down the line through hot dumb bitches. (Hell, the mRNA shit might actually get to a point where they can actually alter their own genes instead of their kids.)

Then if we really get into some science fiction type shit - if a gene is found that can support the marriage between flesh and computer, we're in for a real ride. Imagine if you will, a gene edited top tier of a human specimen getting implants that increase its human capacities multiplicatively. A complete moron could act normal, a 300 IQ person would change the world by themselves.

Both of which are byproducts of AI. Morals, Evil vs Good, all that shit is going to get reevaluated in our lifetime. The human race will probably have a dark age at some point, likely while the super rich are the only ones with access to all the above shit - but after we come out on the other side of that.. we'll be in some Warhammer 40k type shit.

• 1Moron
Reactions: 1 user