General Gaming News and Discussion

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
It’s crazy. I spent a ton of hours in sf2 (all versions) and then a ton of hours in sf4. All those hours were either playing head to head against friends sitting on the couch next to me or solo practice. Just never cared for fighting games vs strangers.

I feel like this genre peaked in 1993 or whenever Turbo hit and had a small renaissance with MK9(?) and sf4 during the 360/ps3 era.

Capcom vs Streetfighter 2 was my/friends' peak.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chapell

Trakanon Raider
This is an abomination in the eyes of God and Man. Heresy.

Cat Working GIF

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
It’s crazy. I spent a ton of hours in sf2 (all versions) and then a ton of hours in sf4. All those hours were either playing head to head against friends sitting on the couch next to me or solo practice. Just never cared for fighting games vs strangers.

I feel like this genre peaked in 1993 or whenever Turbo hit and had a small renaissance with MK9(?) and sf4 during the 360/ps3 era.
Tekken 3 was my last hurrah with fighting games.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
You have to be a certain type of person to play fighting games. I mean im a pretty chill person usually but I never had the urge to throw my controller at the TV and pummel the friend in RL ever crossed my mind until playing fighting game. I never did it of course, but I was close several times.

You were never a real gamer if you've never destroyed a piece of furniture or put at least one hole in the wall with this indestructible weapon of mass destruction

1685479093013.png

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
That cat plays like my friends did back in the day.

They often got pissed at me.
Never really got into fighting games. I thought MK series was cool but that was because of the fatalities.
My brother had one of them on the SNES (remember blood was sweat) and he was talking trash about kicking my butt on it. I told him it was all rote button memorization and if I could see the codes I could beat him. He gave me a nintendo power magazine with the button moves to look at and I proceeded to completely destroy his ass. He was so fucking mad at me.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Burns

You were never a real gamer if you've never destroyed a piece of furniture or put at least one hole in the wall with this indestructible weapon of mass destruction

View attachment 475721
I had (have) one of those and a power glove but I never used them. The regular controller was better for Mario 1, 2, 3, Excitebike, Techno Bowl, Zelda, Mike Tyson's Punch Out, Contra, Double Dragon, and any other game I had.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I had (have) one of those and a power glove but I never used them. The regular controller was better for Mario 1, 2, 3, Excitebike, Techno Bowl, Zelda, Mike Tyson's Punch Out, Contra, Double Dragon, and any other game I had.

The Turbo was nice for certain games. My uncle soldered on a switch so you didn't even have to hold down the button. We'd leave it on all night to level our characters in wizardry abusing greater demons who summoned. Just buff up one strong enough so you couldn't kill it. Got to level 500+ easy

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
The Turbo was nice for certain games. My uncle soldered on a switch so you didn't even have to hold down the button. We'd leave it on all night to level our characters in wizardry abusing greater demons who summoned. Just buff up one strong enough so you couldn't kill it. Got to level 500+ easy
And here I was thinking we were geniuses for using weights and rubber bands. I see now they were just temporary solutions for a permanent problem.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Tuco Tuco has a custom foot pedal setup that is gonna take the fighting game scene over
I know you're kidding but the foot pedals for fighting games would be tremendously bad.

The only games I ever used them was on Guild Wars 2 and Chorus, both of which are button heavy but also rhythmic where a the foot presses are predictable. I use a standing desk so I rarely use the foot pedals.

Last edited:

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I played so much fucking Galaga with that thing. Might have been the last time I was truly happy.

Not sure when the last time I was truly happy was, but now I'm trying to figure it out!

It's hard to say because happiness kind of cascaded downward in levels rather than suddenly dropping off a cliff at any point. So the last time I THINK I was truly happy was early 2017, but it's also relative to the time period and I'm not sure how happy I actually was. Plowing through the modern Fromsoft catalog for the first time (think Demon's Souls was the one I was on in early 2017) and in the late stages of a really nice relationship before I got too busy for it.

Like I said it's relative though. 2020+ is the lowest plateau, late 2017-2019 is the next one, 2014-2017 is the one after that, 2010-2013, probably 2001-2009. Each plateau is sorta separated by some bad thing happening that dropped everything down another notch. So a peak in 2017 might have just been a normal week in 2000 for all I know, due to the gradual "frog boil effect" of accepting the downslide as increasingly lame "new normals".

All of that babbled out, the last time I truly had "joy" as they call it was probably... I really don't know actually. Maybe 2000 when Chrono Cross dropped and my mom watched me play most of it over several days?

Been trying to consciously feel that again for a couple weeks and it seems very difficult. I vaguely remember joy being just a normal state back in the day, which is probably called being young and having youth hormones.