General Gaming News and Discussion

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Odds are much higher that the C-Suite is just cashing out knowing that the company is in general trouble (they've already had mass layoffs and office closures this year). This doesn't make sense as a stock manipulation scheme.
Yar, it was more of a what-if; I doubt it's manipulation, just maximizing what they can cash out. The numbers may be so bleak that they need to do something drastic, regardless, and this is what the CEO is set on doing. So the other C-Suits can see the writing on the wall.

spronk

FPS noob
i don't really give a fuck about unity its just an engine and i'd rather play games made in unreal engine 5 than most of the indie stuff made in Unity, but whats absolutely ludicrous and hilarious is that Unity currently has 7000 employees.

a fucking game engine company has 7000 employees. they have an insane number of projects that do absolutely fuck all, the company should be like 200-400 engineers, appropriate numbers of QA/PMs/etc, and a ton of sales people. There is absolutely no justification for 7000 employees and they are paying the price now.

epic employees a shit load of people for fortnite and stuff but their unreal engine dept only has like 400 people

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Burns

i don't really give a fuck about unity its just an engine and i'd rather play games made in unreal engine 5 than most of the indie stuff made in Unity, but whats absolutely ludicrous and hilarious is that Unity currently has 7000 employees.

a fucking game engine company has 7000 employees. they have an insane number of projects that do absolutely fuck all, the company should be like 200-400 engineers, appropriate numbers of QA/PMs/etc, and a ton of sales people. There is absolutely no justification for 7000 employees and they are paying the price now.

epic employees a shit load of people for fortnite and stuff but their unreal engine dept only has like 400 people
I think I have spent more time in Unity games than any other engine, by a wide margin. It will be sad to see it crash the indie scene if Unity goes under, but yea, 7000 people just for an engine seems ludicrous.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
nj1mvb4q27ob1.jpg

I could imagine Microsoft buying Unity Engine and considering it a toolset of C# development.

• 4Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Malakriss

Devolver Digital, the largest indie publisher, will now require any game/projects pitches to disclose the engine that would be utilized. This implies Unity is already being blacklisted by major companies. The stock price will continue to drop, how far it will bottom out before someone buys them out and fires all the idiots we will see. But the damage is already done, the better employees over at Unity will start jumping ship before any buyout and every other engine on the market is celebrating.

• 2Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Odds are much higher that the C-Suite is just cashing out knowing that the company is in general trouble (they've already had mass layoffs and office closures this year). This doesn't make sense as a stock manipulation scheme.
Yeah that's what I figured too, nothing too conspiracy, just money guys who know in advance they're gonna lose money if they keep shares so they sell them.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Devolver Digital, the largest indie publisher, will now require any game/projects pitches to disclose the engine that would be utilized. This implies Unity is already being blacklisted by major companies. The stock price will continue to drop, how far it will bottom out before someone buys them out and fires all the idiots we will see. But the damage is already done, the better employees over at Unity will start jumping ship before any buyout and every other engine on the market is celebrating.

I can't wait until Devolver's next awards ceremony video.

Nina Struthers don't fuck around.

Check a look.
1694719091752.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Yeah that's what I figured too, nothing too conspiracy, just money guys who know in advance they're gonna lose money if they keep shares so they sell them.

Isn't that the definition of insider trading?

• 2Like

kinadin

<Gold Donor>
If the c-levels are selling shares outside of a predetermined window then that's a cut and dry SEC violation, likely insider trading. You also aren't supposed to announce or make material changes to the business within a period of time leading up to and after that window (i.e. the "blackout" period).

• 2Like

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
1694723115526.png

Lol, devs surprised that actively bankrupting lots of other studios/devs and/or causing them to waste lots of man-years of work might cause some hostility. The devs are as clueless as the mgt.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Mihoyo will buy them out, since Genshin Impact / Star Rail are made with Unity, lol. I think.

• 1Like

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
In my 20 seconds of expertise on the issue, I believe they’ve always asked that.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
View attachment 490651
Lol, devs surprised that actively bankrupting lots of other studios/devs and/or causing them to waste lots of man-years of work might cause some hostility. The devs are as clueless as the mgt.

If the guy had said targeting employees because of upper management decisions is stupid he'd be 100% right. But then saying it'd be the right thing to do if it was a different company makes me have zero sympathy for those faggots

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If the guy had said targeting employees because of upper management decisions is stupid he'd be 100% right. But then saying it'd be the right thing to do if it was a different company makes me have zero sympathy for those faggots
I mean, stupid yes, but completely unexpected? It's like the dev has no concept that his company might somehow adversely affect someone else. You'd think that developers, of all people, could grasp the concept of second order consequences, but I guess decades of shitty game design and bugs should show us that that's not true.

Daidraco

Employees protesting their own business when it treats them like shit, and threatening and or treating them with violence if they try and work is method that works very well. Especially if they gain public approval.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
OK, here is another take on the whole Unity installation thing. What if I have two computers and install a game on both PCs? Do the devs have to pay for both installs, even though I only bought the game once? Or what if I buy a new PC and install the game again? Or just keep deleting and reinstalling for whatever reason? If any of this is true, and that it's not some how tied to one fee per sale, then holy shit what an even greater clusterfuck than previously thought.

• 1Like