General Gaming News and Discussion

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Did you see if they are changing the upfront costs of the various plans? I saw one person saying he was paying $400 for Unity Plus, just to remove Unity's splash screen and add his companies logo, but under this new plan he will have to pay $2040 for that same functionality, in addition to the per/install costs. Is that just because they are getting rid of Unity Plus, and moving to 3 plans?

I found their current prices online listed as:
View attachment 490489
Yeah, Plus was 25/mo (per seat of course) and was mostly used to get rid of the splash screen. It's no longer an option, and you have to upgrade to pro to get rid of the splash, which used be 99/mo and is now even more. Although they're mostly just pushing people into pro to get a better deal on the install fee.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Bot armies can murder dev studios:
2023-09-13 15.08.36 forum.unity.com 1db839f9bbb2.png

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
View attachment 490492
This is what i was thinking. And even if it just creates some sort of erronius HID/GUID you could still trick it. Devs would need full transparency into the model and be able to audit it against their own data which who the fuck would even want to do that.

Is Larry Ellison working there or something. This is Oracle levels of retardation

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This is what i was thinking. And even if it just creates some sort of erronius HID/GUID you could still trick it. Devs would need full transparency into the model and be able to audit it against their own data which who the fuck would even want to do that.

Is Larry Ellison working there or something. This is Oracle levels of retardation

Hell, even fully legit stuff can murder you. No more Unity games in Humble Bundles for example. Not sure how far out they schedule those, but I bet they're having some goddamned frantic cancellations today.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There's gotta be something in the legal system that stops then from completely bankrupting studios who didn't account for this in their business model.

Malakriss

Their leadership already sold a ton of stock knowing this would backfire and their own investors/shareholders would hate it. Personal profits and then let the company enter legal hell while they are not personally liable. Either outcome a shitton of games, developers, studios, future projects are down in flames.

• 2Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
There's gotta be something in the legal system that stops then from completely bankrupting studios who didn't account for this in their business model.
Lol everything as a service bro

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Palum

what Suineg set it to
View attachment 490492
Supposedly it is not actually doing any telemetry or reporting, it is based on "proprietary data sources" and analysis.

Based on my knowledge of sales lingo where "AI" = rules based, I assume that means they just look at steam numbers and charge based on that.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Supposedly it is not actually doing any telemetry or reporting, it is based on "proprietary data sources" and analysis.

Based on my knowledge of sales lingo where "AI" = rules based, I assume that means they just look at steam numbers and charge based on that.
I'm pretty sure they haven't said they don't use telemetry but it was weasel-worded to actually be "we don't only use telemetry".

They acquired a malware maker a few months ago, which I'm sure was entirely unrelated.

1694654215093.png

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
No more Unity games in Humble Bundles for example. Not sure how far out they schedule those, but I bet they're having some goddamned frantic cancellations today.

Charities are excluded per the FAQ (possibly updated since you posted that).

Of course, how will they know what was sold via charity and what wasn't? What about returns or refunds? They can't even give a straight answer as to how they will handle piracy.

Q: What's going to stop us being charged for pirated copies of our games?
A: We do already have fraud detection practices in our Ads technology which is solving a similar problem, so we will leverage that know-how as a starting point. We recognize that users will have concerns about this and we will make available a process for them to submit their concerns to our fraud compliance team.

"Just trust us bro our AI is good." Lol.

Edit: Double LOL, Unity removed the GitHub repository where users were tracking changes to the license text.

Burns

I'm pretty sure they haven't said they don't use telemetry but it was weasel-worded to actually be "we don't only use telemetry".

They acquired a malware maker a few months ago, which I'm sure was entirely unrelated.

View attachment 490546
Grain of salt and all that, but sounds about right:

2023-09-13 20.55.39 forum.unity.com f8e908227097.png

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Charities are excluded per the FAQ (possibly updated since you posted that).

Of course, how will they know what was sold via charity and what wasn't? What about returns or refunds? They can't even give a straight answer as to how they will handle piracy.

"Just trust us bro our AI is good." Lol.

Edit: Double LOL, Unity removed the GitHub repository where users were tracking changes to the license text.
Pretty sure they wouldn't count Humble Bundle charity, though I'd be happy to be wrong about that. The default charitable contribution from HB is 5%.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Man if anything puts my mind at ease, it's anonymous posts from 'studio employee' trying to downplay the severity of the changes.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf

Captain Suave

Man if anything puts my mind at ease, it's anonymous posts from 'studio employee' trying to downplay the severity of the changes.

IMO that doesn't say anything other than confirm Unity has no clue what they're doing and their CEO is willing to torch their customer base.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Their leadership already sold a ton of stock knowing this would backfire and their own investors/shareholders would hate it. Personal profits and then let the company enter legal hell while they are not personally liable. Either outcome a shitton of games, developers, studios, future projects are down in flames.

Outside of that being pretty blatant insider trading, I don't see how tanking their own stock does anything for them. What's the upside?

Burns

Outside of that being pretty blatant insider trading, I don't see how tanking their own stock does anything for them. What's the upside?
If you want to go true scumbag insider trading angle, the execs use a shell company or individual to buy back in at a lower price, right before they announce that they are no longer implementing this plan. Although that's probably too easy to trace, if anyone is actually worried about regulators, so they could have their hedge fund buddies buy the dip, then backchannel the payoff/favors down the line.

C-Suits get paid in stock all the time, so naturally you should be able to find some of them always selling off stock, here and there. The question is whether they were abnormal sell offs that came after the plan was announced/being worked on internally.

Captain Suave

Odds are much higher that the C-Suite is just cashing out knowing that the company is in general trouble (they've already had mass layoffs and office closures this year). This doesn't make sense as a stock manipulation scheme.

• 2Like