General Gaming News and Discussion

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
OK, here is another take on the whole Unity installation thing. What if I have two computers and install a game on both PCs? Do the devs have to pay for both installs, even though I only bought the game once? Or what if I buy a new PC and install the game again? Or just keep deleting and reinstalling for whatever reason? If any of this is true, and that it's not some how tied to one fee per sale, then holy shit what an even greater clusterfuck than previously thought.
It’s a charge per device, unless they walked that back. So buy and install it on your Pc, install it on your steam deck and laptop…3 charges.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
OK, here is another take on the whole Unity installation thing. What if I have two computers and install a game on both PCs? Do the devs have to pay for both installs, even though I only bought the game once? Or what if I buy a new PC and install the game again? Or just keep deleting and reinstalling for whatever reason? If any of this is true, and that it's not some how tied to one fee per sale, then holy shit what an even greater clusterfuck than previously thought.
They explicitly said they would charge if it was the same license on a different machine. Originally they would even keep charging if it was your original machine, but backtracked on that. Still, how do they determine your original machine? It's likely that some replacement, perhaps like a motherboard, would trigger it. Obviously a full upgrade would cause them to pay again. But yeah, if you have something like Steam Deck and a travel laptop along with your PC... that's three charges to the devs.

They could easily do a single fee per sale but for some reason they want this tangled mess. It almost certainly is meant to target FTP games. I don't know why they couldn't have just given a different pay model for just the FTP games.

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
They explicitly said they would charge if it was the same license on a different machine. Originally they would even keep charging if it was your original machine, but backtracked on that. Still, how do they determine your original machine? It's likely that some replacement, perhaps like a motherboard, would trigger it. Obviously a full upgrade would cause them to pay again. But yeah, if you have something like Steam Deck and a travel laptop along with your PC... that's three charges to the devs.

They could easily do a single fee per sale but for some reason they want this tangled mess. It almost certainly is meant to target FTP games. I don't know why they couldn't have just given a different pay model for just the FTP games.
Does Microsoft Windows still do that shit? I had it give me shit after a video card install once but that was over a decade ago.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Does Microsoft Windows still do that shit? I had it give me shit after a video card install once but that was over a decade ago.
I think so but there's a lot of leeway about it, afaik. I was using the same key since Win XP and only on my last install did I get any trouble about it (but they eventually relented and gave me access).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
1694876607791.png

• 11Worf
Reactions: 10 users

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Never cause an industry-wide review dealing with contract law, even a splash as big as this Unity debacle is making the megacorp lawyers line up to crack down. Because there is no slippery slope there, if you fundamentally alter how contracts can work it goes nuclear within the week of a ruling.

• 3Like
  • 2Truth!
Reactions: 4 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
What if I have two computers and install a game on both PCs? Do the devs have to pay for both installs, even though I only bought the game once? Or what if I buy a new PC and install the game again? Or just keep deleting and reinstalling for whatever reason? If any of this is true, and that it's not some how tied to one fee per sale, then holy shit what an even greater clusterfuck than previously thought.
You don't know. The devs don't know. And I'm not even sure Unity knows. All they've mentioned is "we have our ways".

It's that insecurity level that will kill the use of Unity. People could live with a 0.2$ fee. But if they don't even know how "installs" are counted? No way.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
"trust us bro"

Almost as bad as voting machines proprietary, closed sourced software

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
"trust us bro"

Almost as bad as voting machines proprietary, closed sourced software
All of Slashdot was bitching about this in 2004 back when they thought Diebold stole the election for Bush (instead of Kerry just being a trash candidate). It's the right idea but it will never happen because people are ignorant.

The vast majority of the population doesn't even understand what open source is, and even when explained to them, they still don't get why it's good. See the below poll:

1694895739322.png

1694895757560.png

1694895720757.png

• 1Rustled
Reactions: 1 user

Brikker

Trump's Staff
No one is asking the most important question

What will this mean for Pantheon?

• 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Pantheon is going to charge 0.20 for each time you playtest an Alpha. I figure someone will have spent 100$ playing Pantheon before it finally hits beta. I'll take my consulting fee now.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Pantheon is going to charge 0.20 for each time you playtest an Alpha. I figure someone will have spent 100$ playing Pantheon before it finally hits beta. I'll take my consulting fee now.
Didn’t people pay $500+ and still haven’t played it? Letting people use your bandwidth is amateur hour. Your consulting sucks.

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.
You don't know. The devs don't know. And I'm not even sure Unity knows. All they've mentioned is "we have our ways".

It's that insecurity level that will kill the use of Unity. People could live with a 0.2$ fee. But if they don't even know how "installs" are counted? No way.
I've been pointing out this is just like making a new tax. There are some out there saying that the fee isn't that much and the developers/publishers can pay it easy because the game made so many millions since it came out. It's 0.20 now but who is to say it won't be .50 later or more. Once the door is opened it never closes.

Also, your game made in 2018 and out of development is going to start costing you money in 2023 just for downloads? That can be a huge problem.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Feels good to see caveat emptor respected.

Attachments

• unitystock.png
    unitystock.png
    55.7 KB · Views: 96
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users