General Gaming News and Discussion

joz123

Potato del Grande
We're likely be sipping metamucil by the time it's viable here on any large scale with how shitty/slow our infrastructure updates come.

I have Cox in Vegas 1gb plan and they said I had a cap when I signed up, but either I don't hit whatever number they picked or it's not enforced as I use around 500GB-700GB / month just on my primary PC plus whatever GF and Wifi uses for the rest of the house.

Edit: Just checked and it's 1.25TB here w/ the option for me to pay $30 for an extra 500GB or an extra $50 a month for unlimited. <_<
I'm in Henderson with Cox and I get the extra 500 gigs a month just so I know I won't go over the limit, it's worth it.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I feel bad for anyone who still uses COX. They were good once upon a time but I ended up having worse and worse service until I switched to Verizon FIOS which has been fantastic.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
If I still wore my pirate hat then I'd probably be with you, but it's just a 2 household and I'm the primary data abuser so 1.25TB shouldn't get hit with my current usage. Closest I've had was a 1TB month looking at the monthly stats and that was during no travel rona.

I'm in Henderson with Cox and I get the extra 500 gigs a month just so I know I won't go over the limit, it's worth it.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
I feel bad for anyone who still uses COX. They were good once upon a time but I ended up having worse and worse service until I switched to Verizon FIOS which has been fantastic.

I have Cox on primary ($150 / month), Spectrum rentals ($100 / month) and Centurylink ($65 / month) in other home all 1GB plans. I never notice the difference in quality between any of them. Just the wonderful differences in price between each state the services are in.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
FIOS is 80 dollars a month, no taxes or fees, for 1gig up and down, more or less symmetrical. I have never had to reboot the equipment and have had 0 outages in 3 years.

COX modem had to be rebooted a couple times a week, barely got 300down, barely got 25 up, and was like 120 dollars.

• 1Like

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Yeah the upload would be hot. I just never live in an area FIOs or Google fiber goes to. Literally blocks away in some cases.

I had some outage issues in the vegas cox service initially, but I think it was a bad line in the house. Swapped rooms and it's been stable with no noticeable outages in a year.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Anything of note announced at Game Fest yet today?
Aliens game that was all cutscenes until the last 5 seconds which showed it was an isometric game and everyone immediately lost interest.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>

talking of no console needed

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Malkav

French Madman
Man I miss the days when the summer video games conventions season was not 90% of uninteresting indie games.

I miss the big shows of 10 years ago, with the over the top stage presentations from everyone.

You guys remember Konami 2010 E3 show? It was the goofiest most stupid thing, but at least it cracked us up.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
If it weren't for the 90% indie games, these conferences would last like 30 minutes total.

• 1Like

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
o yay another remaster of that game..... I realy wish they would Burn TloU 2 and rm -rf the source code from there servers...

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Been trying to get Verizon FIOS for ages. Always get a "not available in your area" message when I apply at a new place, even though all my places were in a major city until 2022.

Tried RCN too, same shit, not available. Literally the only thing available is Comcast. How is that even legal? You'd think there'd be some monopoly law for this cause there's no way Verizon FIOS wouldn't want to operate in the major city in question while Comcast monopolizes it.

Funny thing is if you go outside the city limits all of a sudden RCN is available.

At my 2022 place I ended up just carrying Comcast over because I didn't want to be arsed with it anymore.

• 1Truth!

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Literally the only thing available is Comcast. How is that even legal? You'd think there'd be some monopoly law for this cause there's no way Verizon FIOS wouldn't want to operate in the major city in question while Comcast monopolizes it.

In my town there Charter, and they suck. Comcast were assholes, but the service was always good last town I lived in with them and cable TV was modern hardware and cloud HD streaming. Charter still uses old hardware, have to pay per box, extra for HD boxes still, streaming is limited and often in standard def still. Their internet was terrible, constantly to throttled during busy hours, but the only cable internet in town as is the norm.

The shitty thing is the city spend a ton of taxpayer money upgrading the comms infrastructure, including new cable lines for Spectrum internet. So, a monopoly and the city paid for installing more cable infrastructure for Spectrum to "lease" but internet still sucked.

Then, they upgraded all the conduits with fiber, but weren't allowed to let any company use it. Spectrum had some exclusive access and declined to "lease" the fiber, so was just unused.

Finally a fiber internet company very slowly installed their own lines on power lines and I got fiber and it's great. But the city spent millions of tax payer money installing underground fiber they weren't allowed to use because the local government and Spectrum have some exclusive deal were they grease each other's palms.

Fiber is so awesome I got rid of my Xbox series x external storage because it's just as fast downloading games as transferring them to the internal drive. 900/800 most days for the same price as Spectrum's 200/10 that they would throttle all the time.

And it's absurd because we could all have fiber internet except that most regions have weird greasy palm deals between government and corporations, and if you get a lazy one like Spectrum they hold back progress and have no incentive to innovate or improve their product (every old person I know pays around $250 for shitty Spectrum tv and internet without a second thought).

There was a push for legislation to open up competition for cable companies, but it was shot down because these giant corporations have a ton of lobbying power and in some cases own the news that can sink politicians.

Shits fucked, like so many things these days.

• 2Like