General Gaming News and Discussion

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Saw that on some stream. My curiosity at this point just revolves around "After the average users PC is doing photo realism at 8k 240 refresh/fps, then what?" What's around that corner? Thats probably a good 30 years before the "average" user can produce that kind of output (or stream it to their home media) but, ya.

I've been thinking about this a lot. 8k/240 is about as high as things can get before gains stop mattering for human vision. An argument could be made that 4k/120 is as high as things "need" to go.

After that there's really nowhere left to go with the current TV gaming paradigm until new technology becomes a thing. Holograms, VR, whatever it ends up being.

Right now we're in the phase CRT TVs were in with like, 480p displays. That lasted from, what, 1992 to 2004 or something like that? CRTs had reached their limit and TV-makers were just trying to tweak the contrast and sharpness or whatnot. Then the HDTV dropped and all of a sudden 720p and 1080p were possibilities and game systems had to catch up. The PS2 gen, and the Wii, all dropped when CRTs were still the norm. PS3 was the first system I remember that actually utilized the higher-def functions to their full effect, and it was a few years after the technology was introduced.

So what I'm saying is, we're gonna hit this wall with 4k/8k TVs and games, we're gonna hover there for 12-15 years or whatever, PS6 and maybe even PS7 are gonna exist within that paradigm (with better effects and processing speed and whatever else can move the system's tech laterally). Then new technology will come along that moves things to a higher level somehow, and game systems will catch up to using that a few years later.

....or something. I may have had a hit of "the dank reefer" earlier and am overthinking everything.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Not sure where else to post this, but it looks like Elder Scrolls 6 is taking place in Hammerfell. I figured it'd be Valenwood myself, but Hammerfell makes a lot more sense.

Daggerfall took place predominantly in High Rock, and I think it had a little of the Hammerfell coast, but it wasn't a "Hammerfell game". That province has been largely untapped by main-series ES, and borders Skyrim, so it makes total sense that it'd be their next zone.

I'm wondering when they'll stop being allergic to the southern hemisphere of Tamriel though. They have 3-4 more games to mine out of the continent after this next one. ESO has kinda killed a lot of the buzz I had for seeing the full ES world since, well, it now exists in game form somewhere. But I wanted to see it all in single-player, heavily in-depth games like the first five.

I'll be happy if we actually see ES6 and Metroid Prime 4 within the next two years, seriously.

• 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
That chick was the most asleep looking awake person. I really hope it was just the character model and that she doesn't look drugged in real life
She somewhat does. But then, she was with Shia LaBeouf for a while, so you might excuse her for using.

Goonsquad Officer
Saw that on some stream. My curiosity at this point just revolves around "After the average users PC is doing photo realism at 8k 240 refresh/fps, then what?" What's around that corner? Thats probably a good 30 years before the "average" user can produce that kind of output (or stream it to their home media) but, ya.
More micro transactions

Goonsquad Officer
all joking aside the more and more photorealistic the characters get. the dumpier and uglier they'll make the women. enjoy!

• 3Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
While I made the comment as a pure joke, thinking more on it, that maybe it's not that far off of a thing. In a roundabout way it is already happening now, you can get upgraded versions of GeForce Now already.

Screenshot 2022-06-08 113610.png

If the tech gets so good with cloud gaming it will certainly become a big thing.

EDIT

Researchers from Japan’s National Institute of Information and Communications Technology (NICT) successfully sent data down a custom multi-core fiber optic cable at a speed of 1.02 petabits per second over a distance of 51.7 km. That’s the equivalent of sending 127,500 GB of data every second, which, according to the researchers, is also enough capacity for over “10 million channels of 8K broadcasting per second.”

Last edited:
  • 1Mother of God

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
While I made the comment as a pure joke, thinking more on it, that maybe it's not that far off of a thing. In a roundabout way it is already happening now, you can get upgraded versions of GeForce Now already.

View attachment 416095

If the tech gets so good with cloud gaming it will certainly become a big thing.
Their price point is just ridiculously good in comparison to what you would pay to have a strong ass rig. Whichever company comes up with the genius way to significantly decrease, if not downright eliminate the magnified input lag is going to claim the crown. Since split second reaction is needed on a fuck ton of genres, not just FPS games.

I thought Shadow was going to do well, but it didnt. I thought Stadia was going to do well, but it didnt. Geforce Now seems to be the best bet right now, but companies still rip their games away from the platforms that Geforce Now uses at the drop of the hat. Which in all honesty, I dont think it should matter how you access the content if you fucking paid for it. Just some more obnoxious ass shit from corporations that needs regulation thatll never get it, at least not in the US.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I thought Shadow was going to do well, but it didnt.
What makes you say that? There was so much demand that it took them ages to get to the point where you could subscribe and get a Shadow PC the same day rather than a wait of several weeks to several months. I stick with GFN because I have a Founder account that's considerably cheaper (though sadly they still screw Founders who want to upgrade to RTX3080 tier), but if I traveled enough to be really serious about cloud gaming I would absolutely switch to Shadow instead. There's really no comparison between the two; not only is GFN gimped by the asshole publishers who removed their games but it only has 1 GOG game (Cyberpunk) and will never support Game Pass PC (MS cloud is good but not every game is available and it has no keyboard/mouse support). Shadow PC is pretty much just a pure VM so you can play whatever you want on it.

$45 a month for 4K+RT support is pretty insane though.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
What makes you say that? There was so much demand that it took them ages to get to the point where you could subscribe and get a Shadow PC the same day rather than a wait of several weeks to several months. I stick with GFN because I have a Founder account that's considerably cheaper (though sadly they still screw Founders who want to upgrade to RTX3080 tier), but if I traveled enough to be really serious about cloud gaming I would absolutely switch to Shadow instead. There's really no comparison between the two; not only is GFN gimped by the asshole publishers who removed their games but it only has 1 GOG game (Cyberpunk) and will never support Game Pass PC (MS cloud is good but not every game is available and it has no keyboard/mouse support). Shadow PC is pretty much just a pure VM so you can play whatever you want on it.

$45 a month for 4K+RT support is pretty insane though.
The value is the best thing about these services. I liked Shadow for the exact reason you said - but...

"Is Shadow going out of business?
There's been another blow for cloud gaming this week as Blade, the company behind the rent-a-gaming-PC-in-the-cloud service Shadow, has filed for bankruptcy in the US and has been placed in receivership in their home country of France.Mar 10, 2021"

I havent followed up to see if that had any major impact, as the service is still around. But for a while you couldnt even sign up for the service. Not that it isnt a good service when you do have it, but there is just a shit load of articles out there about the companies profitability.

My personal take is that a lot of these streaming companies arent more popular because your generic ass ISP has data caps that a streaming service like this would eat up in a single afternoon.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Which is why I edited in that new fiber transmission record, data caps and network speed is really what is holding back cloud gaming the most which is still gonna be awhile till that is resolved but it will be and at that point, having your own hardware will start to be unneeded. At some point you won't be buying the newest console, you will just be paying to use the Sony Cloud and then pay for games on top of the cloud sub.

• 1Like

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Do major cable/fiber companies still enforce caps in the US? I've had Spectrum (previously Time Warner) which has never had any sort of cap at all for so long that I don't even remember what the others are like.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
We're likely be sipping metamucil by the time it's viable here on any large scale with how shitty/slow our infrastructure updates come.

I have Cox in Vegas 1gb plan and they said I had a cap when I signed up, but either I don't hit whatever number they picked or it's not enforced as I use around 500GB-700GB / month just on my primary PC plus whatever GF and Wifi uses for the rest of the house.

Edit: Just checked and it's 1.25TB here w/ the option for me to pay $30 for an extra 500GB or an extra $50 a month for unlimited. <_<

Last edited:

bolok

Trakanon Raider
They sure do. You can USUALLY pay your way out of them, but that's usually not a trivial upsell. Comcast is 1.2? TB or there abouts where I am.