General Gaming News and Discussion

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Chris

Potato del Grande
The guy probably did $60k worth of work on the game, then got a regular job to pay the bills.

If he is honest he is working on it in his spare time and it'll never come out, if he is dishonest he's abandoned it and is stalling for time, if he's a scumbag then all of the shown assets were done in his spare time before the campaign started and it's been a scam from the start.

One person can't make a high quality 3D RPG for multiple platforms, it's ridiculous and anyone supporting it is a dumbass.

If it were me, I'd make something simpler as a proof of concept of a quality of a flash game, probably 2D and only combat. Then iterate from there.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Says there's a playable beta and early access is out in a few weeks.

I guess we wait and see.

Might have to help back this thing on principal.

I believe the story.

Here's more of that vaporware they tell ya about in the Pantheon thread :

• 1Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Ok after watching that, I can understand why his wife ditched him.

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Tried finding more recent videos, but mainly all I could find is gifs. The combat looks quite a bit better in those than in the older video, but the ship battles still look pretty bad. The concept isn’t terrible I guess but if the encounters don’t scale up pretty fast that would get boring as fuck

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Noodle, are you alright dude? You are super antagonistic since you've come back. Uncharacteristically so.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
The guy probably did $60k worth of work on the game, then got a regular job to pay the bills.

If he is honest he is working on it in his spare time and it'll never come out, if he is dishonest he's abandoned it and is stalling for time, if he's a scumbag then all of the shown assets were done in his spare time before the campaign started and it's been a scam from the start.

One person can't make a high quality 3D RPG for multiple platforms, it's ridiculous and anyone supporting it is a dumbass.

If it were me, I'd make something simpler as a proof of concept of a quality of a flash game, probably 2D and only combat. Then iterate from there.

I agree to an extent but for my own sanity I'll need to ignore this if I ever dream of completing my own project:

Tools these days allow a solo dev to get pretty far. If this guy is making all his own assets then yes, it may never release, art assets is one of the most time consuming aspects of a project. If you leverage free assets/marketplaces, it is doable.
I am about 19 months into my project and I anticipate a playable "prototype" sometime this year.

Managing expectations is definitely key though.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
I agree to an extent but for my own sanity I'll need to ignore this if I ever dream of completing my own project:

Tools these days allow a solo dev to get pretty far. If this guy is making all his own assets then yes, it may never release, art assets is one of the most time consuming aspects of a project. If you leverage free assets/marketplaces, it is doable.
I am about 19 months into my project and I anticipate a playable "prototype" sometime this year.

Managing expectations is definitely key though.
Yeah so that's a gameplay loop that reuses the same assets each go right? That's the kind of thing I'd do as a solo project, I wouldn't put you in the bullshit category with that.

A JRPG has lots of elements that never get used again, even most Final Fantasy games resorted the revisiting locations and recolouring enemies.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah so that's a gameplay loop that reuses the same assets each go right? That's the kind of thing I'd do as a solo project, I wouldn't put you in the bullshit category with that.

A JRPG has lots of elements that never get used again, even most Final Fantasy games resorted the revisiting locations and recolouring enemies.

I just watched the video above. So now I have more of an idea what's going on there.

If it's a single player RPG, that simplifies things a lot. Solo player games are infinitely easier & faster to develop.
The characters probably took a decent amount of time, need to model/texture/rig/animate them.
The world design is not very complex and most of the "levels" shown could be created in a very short time, less than a day really, especially once you get a template/workflow figured out.

Another time consuming aspect is the story, abilities, crafting, market...
Also the "bosses".

6-7 years for a solo dude sounds about right.. Actually imo it could be faster, but I have no idea how long the story is or how much content he added. I get the impression he probably spent long periods doing 0 development on it. Maybe shady, or maybe not, I won't judge.

With regard to "gameplay loop".. no idea what you mean, but my project is intended to be a multiplayer game, no PvE, no AI. So yea, I'm more focused on the playable characters, abilities, & the map/objectives. Multiplayer has a lot more to consider, everything takes about 5x longer to develop then if I did a single player. But the trade off is single player needs a lot more content.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Lol you're kidding right? That "beta" video showed the game equivalent of this:

Chris

Potato del Grande
I just watched the video above. So now I have more of an idea what's going on there.

If it's a single player RPG, that simplifies things a lot. Solo player games are infinitely easier & faster to develop.
The characters probably took a decent amount of time, need to model/texture/rig/animate them.
The world design is not very complex and most of the "levels" shown could be created in a very short time, less than a day really, especially once you get a template/workflow figured out.

Another time consuming aspect is the story, abilities, crafting, market...
Also the "bosses".

6-7 years for a solo dude sounds about right.. Actually imo it could be faster, but I have no idea how long the story is or how much content he added. I get the impression he probably spent long periods doing 0 development on it. Maybe shady, or maybe not, I won't judge.

With regard to "gameplay loop".. no idea what you mean, but my project is intended to be a multiplayer game, no PvE, no AI. So yea, I'm more focused on the playable characters, abilities, & the map/objectives. Multiplayer has a lot more to consider, everything takes about 5x longer to develop then if I did a single player. But the trade off is single player needs a lot more content.
I mean you replay the same thing over and over again because it's multiplayer.

As opposed to each gameplay section being potentially new assets with a finite end.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user