General Gaming News and Discussion

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Most common cause of something like that is getting beer or fruit juice on the contacts, so that's why you need a strong solvent/desiccant.
1667866155943.png
??

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
On a serious note Ive heard that you can run these things through the dishwasher. I remember seeing a video of some "geek reviewer like linus" doing that. Is this true? I mean of course if would have to completely dry.

edit:

TLDR dont use soap, Or if you use soap, do a no soap run after. Also dont use high heat cycle and remove keycaps. YOu dont have to remove keycaps but you get better results if you do. And make sure the damn thing is DRY before plugging it back in. (Few days in the sun outside would prob work)

Last edited:

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I've never found anything that works better than just 91% isopropyl alcohol. Maybe Everclear but that shit is expensive now.

I once ruined a keyboard by dumping an entire bowl of grapefruit (which is basically a worse case scenario due to the pulp sacs) on it and I was able to get it working good as new.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Oh and they tested like 10 keyboards and all of them worked after perfect. Came back from the lab as having >10 ppm (or whatever the fuck) bacteria on them too.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Oh and they tested like 10 keyboards and all of them worked after perfect. Came back from the lab as having >10 ppm (or whatever the fuck) bacteria on them too.
Yeah that's for just regular dirt and grime though. If they got something sticky and conductive on the contacts, that's a different situation, and that seems to better match the symptoms described.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Im goping to try dishwasher on my old red dragon thats doing the same thing. The DDDDD key is doing that shit....

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
On a serious note Ive heard that you can run these things through the dishwasher. I remember seeing a video of some "geek reviewer like linus" doing that. Is this true? I mean of course if would have to completely dry.

edit:

TLDR dont use soap, Or if you use soap, do a no soap run after. Also dont use high heat cycle and remove keycaps. YOu dont have to remove keycaps but you get better results if you do. And make sure the damn thing is DRY before plugging it back in. (Few days in the sun outside would prob work)
I'm pretty sure he made an offhand comment in a WAN show or something to the effect of the keyboards didn't last after the fact. Something about washing the lubrication off or something maybe? I don't really remember

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I got my Red Dragon in there right now. And if it bricks oh well its like $35. Will report back.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Pretty much every one of those restoration channels out there blasts anything with electronics with IPA. Apparently doesn’t damage shit and I guess it also dries really fast.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Pretty much every one of those restoration channels out there blasts anything with electronics with IPA. Apparently doesn’t damage shit and I guess it also dries really fast.
It doesn't just dry really fast, it will actually desiccate stuff. Oo if there's hidden moisture it will draw it out and evaporate it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I mean if lube is the problem I cannot see IPA having good effects on lube. Do they even have lube inside switches? I mean I heard you CAN lube them for better sound and maybe a tad better feeling but the fuck if im dismantling 100 or so keys so I can lube them every 3 months, lol.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I've dishwashered a few keyboards. I dishwasher all sorts of shit most people wouldn't, but keyboards were never really worth it. Unless a very "open" old mechanical keyboard you have to sorta take it apart anyhow or it doesn't drain or dry well or fast. By then it was easier to just take them apart and clean manually.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Right out of the dishwasher. The dust on there is from a towel I used to dry it with. For reference is my other one thats like 2 yrs old? Now it just needs to sit and dry for a few days. That thing was fucking nasty too. Ketchup, bbq sauce drips. And other shit on there.

F20FFD52-E2AD-4104-8F2B-9F3F7DB9DA55.jpeg
5C9172E5-C69D-4EAB-9002-B7E9EC1F00AF.jpeg
CE9174A4-31A8-48AA-BE0C-5BD72D78D87D.jpeg

• 5Barf
  • 4WTF
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 12 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
  • 10Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 10 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
ITs not so bad. Its because its a black keyboard thats like 2 yrs old taken with a flash. Go do yours the same way and post it here. I have a bad habit of eating at my desk which gets crumbs and other shit all over the place. Plus my room is dark all the time so I dont see it. And what you dont see dont bother you :D.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Qhue

Tranny Chaser

This game is silly addictive. If you like Privateer or FTL then this thing is for you

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
What in the actual fuckitty fuck. Re-evaluate your life. That's some Asmongold trailer level dirt.
Seriously. Holy fucking shit. I literally can't comprehend the level of neck bearding it requires to get a keyboard that looks like that.

Some of you people must live like fucking raccoons, goddamn.

• 7Worf
  • 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 10 users