General Gaming News and Discussion

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Someone get a VR Set and play Boneworks and then come here and type words.

Motion sickness so bad I ended up returning it. I didn't even make it to any combat other than awkwardly swinging a brick into a robots head and then almost barfing.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 1 user

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>

Console is actually quite a bit higher than I expected honestly. It'll be interesting to see where that percentage sits after the next gen stuff, because console gaming is getting eerily similar to PC gaming all the time and I get a feeling it might end up being the impetus some people need to move to PC.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Gaming is fucked.

Rockstar, CD Projekt Red, and maybe a couple others are the only companies who even have the goal of delivering anything more that a micro transaction generator. Give it a few more years and there won’t be anyone left.

The Chinese and the kids with moms credit card brought the whole industry down

• 5Like
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
'Retro' on Twitch has up to 2,000 more viewers on it than I used to see a couple of months and appears to be growing. I agree with Fight Fight that triple and double A gaming is in the toilet but there is room for a retro renaissance of sorts and I for one hope we see it.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Rockstar and Take-Two are very heavily focused on microtransactions now, so I wouldn't include those in that list, personally. They make absurd amounts of cash off of GTAV online, and they tried the same with RDR2.

CDPR is now a multi-billion dollar company that is working on an online system with mtx in it for what is likely going to be one of the biggest releases of the new decade. So, who knows what route they might take.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah sad to see gaming heading this way. Every game pretty much has micros now. I really didnt mind it at first, thinking, WTF, let the whales whale out and support the game, but now I see that more and more dev time is actually going into the micros than it is into actual game dev. Look at EA now, pretty much all their games are going th way of F2P, with free expansions and micros all over the god damn place. My beloved Destiny franchise is the same. Not only do we pay upwards of $100+ for content every year now, they have an ever increasing cash shop claiming its to support the ongoing development, like WTF?

• 1Solidarity

gauze

Molten Core Raider
Ahh, I fucking knew it; granted I figured it would have been overseeing Dice and not a sub-studio.. but its one stepping stone to the top. It should just take one solid release for Zampella and the continued declining interest in the BF franchise.

Is anyone familiar on Zampella and West's brainpowers? only really familiar with West as director and Zamp as producer of early cod/infintyward turn ceo's of respawn. It'll be nice to see if Zamp at the head pushing out a modern shooter with the frostbite engine.. or will he branch from shooters and be given game development rights to all future starwars games lol.

I feel like we are still in a bit of independent and/or retro resurgence. It has only been getting bigger over the last years, while the strongest studios continue to strive and the weaker ones keep dying/bought out. I'd imagine these other 'indie' developers will either become a bigger studio or produce something of triple a quality eventually. Larian Studios is a pretty decent example of releasing successful? cult? titles, to getting a pretty 'legendary honor' of developing the next Baldur's Gate; assuming there will be no micro trans. While you have games like Untitled Goose Game crushing it with sales and being an internet phenomena for a period. ZA/UM came out of no-where with Disco Elysium which has garnered a lot of recognition, but doesn't tend to stay on peoples tongues due to the lack of multiplayer and arguably niche. Then you had Kojima Productions releasing the long awaited Death Stranding which I think was received well and i'm excited to see he is back on his "producing the scariest game" with the hopes of either Junji Ito or Guillermo onboard(both cameo'd in DS). If any of these had micro-trans; I have no idea, did not play any.. I just think we are in a bit of a renaissance or neo-classical period of video games.. because nintendo stay crushing with re-skinned games with the switch.. and next gen consoles are around the corner which will probably bridge the gap between PC/Console even closer to irrelevancy where everyone is basically just playing PC to some degree.

We're also in a bit of attention deficit disorder curse of where we now expect games to be updated/patched consistently(atleast my gaming sphere), and it is really sink or swim when it comes to producing content because the crowd shifts happen so fast while trying to maintain that player count. As my friend says, whether true or not, these micro-trans basically keeps other departments of development going with art and content; rather than cut/layoff/shift departments/ or put onto 'code-name' developing. I'm just happy we are shifting a little bit away from DLC, most of the online games I play now aim at a battlepass which can be self regenerating, with optional content for cosmetics. I haven't really ran into a p2w moment, and I get to laugh at people who dropped 20$ or even 150$(apex) for an item in voicechat. I guess i'm a degenerate and would rather feed my actual addictions than buy digital makeup. Regardless, I try to look at mtx as a form of someone paying my mmo sub for me while I get to run endlessly in circles at the main city.. as long as it doesn't impact the game play, I could careless.. and if it prevents a game from doing yearly, or even bi-yearly installments; even fucking better.

But yeah, mobile games are ridiculous. I don't know how people do it, I just can't see a point in dropping money on gachapon game mechanics.. i'd be nice if it was easier to play by earning, but the wall you face at a certain point when no investment/support is just pure cuck.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
IMO Monster Hunter: World is as close to an MMO as we are going to get in the 2018-2028 timeframe. At least so far. Addictive gameplay, constant new mechanics and shit to do... community if you are looking for one. Solo play if you want that. I am truly surprised so few people here have picked it up.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
IMO Monster Hunter: World is as close to an MMO as we are going to get in the 2018-2028 timeframe. At least so far. Addictive gameplay, constant new mechanics and shit to do... community if you are looking for one. Solo play if you want that. I am truly surprised so few people here have picked it up.

Dude, you are like a total shill for this game all over the place now. Like, did they give you free blowjobs for a year or something?

I kid........! I have been thinking about picking this up, although I am usually a solo or duo player at best.

I was sucked into the mobile gachapon style early on in the introduction. I was a part of those "Wednesday run this dungeon for this material and Thursday run this to upgrade your unit, grind Saturday for exp materials, rinse, repeat, pay us money at the upper end to help your grind and open ultradiamondplatinum chests for 6 star units". I loved it when I went back to one of those original games and they were up to 12 star units lol!

I am unsure mainstream PC game design will ever recover from the mobile/console insurgence. There is too much money in the casual. We seem like we are a decade and more away from novel game design aimed at making a "great game" instead of a "money generator".

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
In terms of playtime (even on here) I am on the low side of things with like 600 hours too lol. I mostly solo stuff since I play so early in the morning. Or late at night depending on your perspective.

I jump in with randoms sometimes too.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>

They have. It's Capcom's best selling title ever with over 10 million sold. (And this is as of May 2019) not including the expansion.

• 1Like

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
I couldn’t learn the monster movesets. Game was waaay too difficult for me. Meh.

• 1Solidarity

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

Whether you like Jim or not this is a really good video. He's discussing not genre defining titles or anything (kinda is) but instead focusing on games that were the most impactful on game design within the industry itself. Along with exactly how those design philosophies and money gravy trains came to be.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf

khorum

Murder Apologist
Jim's retarded.

Though LoL was released in 2009, it didn't became global till a year afterwards. Then it spent the decade helping realign consumer spending towards F2P and microtransactions. That transition from unit sales to F2P and loot boxes is a tectonic paradigm shift in the fundamental economics in the space.

Beyond LoL there's the other multibillion-dollar gorilla in the room whose tentacles have creeped into everything:

All the butthurt about EGS exclusive releases vs. steam comes from the fact that Epic went from an almost-hasbeen into an unstoppable printing press for infinite money. And that's because of Fortnite. And Fortnite was a shitty tower defense slash horde mode concept until they ripped off PUBG.

I love the Witcher games but as far as actual INFLUENCE during the decade it doesn't come close.

• 3Like

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
And Tencent owns a chunk of all of it, because the west allows a piece of shit company government agency to demand that any studio that wants to do business in China partner with sell out to them.

Motherfuckers got their hooks in Platinum Games today too.

• 3Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Jim's retarded.

Though LoL was released in 2009, it didn't became global till a year afterwards. Then it spent the decade helping realign consumer spending towards F2P and microtransactions. That transition from unit sales to F2P and loot boxes is a tectonic paradigm shift in the fundamental economics in the space.

Beyond LoL there's the other multibillion-dollar gorilla in the room whose tentacles have creeped into everything:

All the butthurt about EGS exclusive releases vs. steam comes from the fact that Epic went from an almost-hasbeen into an unstoppable printing press for infinite money. And that's because of Fortnite. And Fortnite was a shitty tower defense slash horde mode concept until they ripped off PUBG.

I love the Witcher games but as far as actual INFLUENCE during the decade it doesn't come close.

I don't think you watched all of it? The number one influencer he notes is Clash of Clans. As more and more of the gaming industry is just mobile game microtransactions.

• 1Worf

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
What difference does it make though? Tencent owns 80+% of that shit too.

• 1Worf

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>

kingdom-come-deliverance-framed-e1578646993424.jpg

• 2Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Kanglor

Silver Knight of the Realm
After finally playing Kingdom Come last year and loving it, I've got high hopes for Warhorse. Definitely get similar vibes to early CDPR, so I'm expecting their next game to show major improvement ala Witcher 2.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users