General Gaming News and Discussion

velk

Trakanon Raider
Season 7 Oops GIF by Workaholics

I'm sure they're really, really sorry ;) .

I can't understand why these indie peasants are revolting, this is no worse than Tesla suddenly announcing that the car you bought last year now costs $1200 a month plus an extra $500 for everyone that sits in it at any point.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
4% of revenue? What are margins like in the gaming industry? I couldn't find any good stats beyond most indie studios not making any money. I can easily imagine 4% of revenue being 50-100% of profits. That's still crazy.
For a lot of developers it's worth it because the cost to develop an inhouse engine or build a free one like Godot exceeds the 4-5% of revenue. The better Godot or other engines get the less true that is, though.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
4% of revenue? What are margins like in the gaming industry? I couldn't find any good stats beyond most indie studios not making any money. I can easily imagine 4% of revenue being 50-100% of profits. That's still crazy.

Rami was on dropped frames this week, and he is basically the indie game guy, having gone from dev to now doing mostly consultancy for helping people get their projects going.

He basically said if they had gone the Unreal route, even if they went 6 or 7 percent, most studios would have just accepted it and kept going.

Unity's biggest breach of trust was trying to make it retroactive, and also saying they had a way to track only legit installs but couldnt show it cause its proprietary. But then when pressed, basically said "yeah, youre right, we cant track it, you should track it instead".

Rami also has said in the last few days that a number of education programs (who primarily teach unity), have had calls with him on what it would entail to switch away from that and how it would affect their students who are already mid program.

Unity really shot themselves in the head, foot and leg all at the same time.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
There is such a thing as bad publicity. But they cannot sue themselves for defamation, especially when they said their true intentions from the start.

• 1Like

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Unity's biggest breach of trust was trying to make it retroactive, and also saying they had a way to track only legit installs but couldnt show it cause its proprietary. But then when pressed, basically said "yeah, youre right, we cant track it, you should track it instead".

It is completely this. That's what sealed it for us. It was just the retroactive bit. If they are going to do that whats to stop them from changing models again in the future and applying that retroactively too?

The fact that people sat in a meeting and didn't think that would make a tremendous amount of negative press is mind bottling to me.

• 2Like

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
It is completely this. That's what sealed it for us. It was just the retroactive bit. If they are going to do that whats to stop them from changing models again in the future and applying that retroactively too?

The fact that people sat in a meeting and didn't think that would make a tremendous amount of negative press is mind bottling to me.
Make sure to let us Alpha test this bad boy when it’s ready!

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
impressive and positive move by Re-Logic. I wonder how much cash they have. I never played Terraria but I have to imagine that a game dev that hits the jackpot with a wildly successful retro game has to be filthy rich.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

There's a whole shitstorm of a story behind that, which practically nobody knows... involving an internal boardroom coup around 2014.

DISCLAIMER. This is all how i saw it unfold from the sidelines. I wasn't in the boardroom, i may have some or all of these details wrong, but is how i remember it happening. I make no claim that this is totally accurate.

Basically as i understand it, two c level people in the company tried to convince the board to sell to Microsoft. And move our hq to seattle. All of this was done on the sly and was super conniving. Most of us original employees didnt want this, nor did then ceo David Helgason. But this is what i perceived, i cant speak for him and may have some facts wrong.

I wasnt in the boardroom for it, but because of his opposition , they convinced the board to strip David of all his practical ceo powers and he became ceo in name only. Like they left him there facing the public but took all his executive power away and started making decisions without him. He had a seat on the board but was just one voice against many investors.

I was in our SF office at the time and it became a ghost town as the two underhanded execs started moving management to seattle, not telling us a gdoddamn thing about what was happening. Morale sunk internally because our leader and vision keeper was stabbed in the back.

It was a weird and horrible time.

I dont know the exact details of how it happened, but the microsoft sale was cancelled at the last minute after some original founders convinced the board not to sell, getting a more experienced industry CEO (John) to run the company. I believe this was a condition of the board not selling to MS.

It reminds me a lot of what happened to steve jobs and john scully.

Why John i particular i don't know but i suspect Sequoia and the other vc investors on the board had a lot to do with it. John came in bringing some folks from Zynga and other huge companies, and the focus changed from making kickass software to growing the employee head count as quickly as possible to increase the company's perceived value in anticipation of an IPO (which happened about six years later).

I got in an argument with john over asset store operations, pounded on his desk because i didn't agree with him on several points, was asked to leave, and quit a few days later. He wanted to do things like AB testing different prices for the same asset depending on who the customer was, etc. classic scumbag ecommerce shit. Im proud of that desk pounding.

The real dogs behind the whole affair are the two underhanded execs who tried to secretly sell us to Microsoft though. Classic startup culture conflict in the face of corporate changes.

If they made David Helgason CEO again like apple did by removing scully and reinstating jobs, perhaps sumilar positive growth could happen to unity.

DISCLAIMER. This is all how i saw it unfold from the sidelines. I wasnt in the boardroom, i may have some or all of these claims wrong, but is how i remember it happening.

Tldr: underhanded boardroom coup

• 2Like

Burns

impressive and positive move by Re-Logic. I wonder how much cash they have. I never played Terraria but I have to imagine that a game dev that hits the jackpot with a wildly successful retro game has to be filthy rich.
Never played it either but Google is saying it's rated 10/10 on Steam with almost 1 mil reviews...don't think I have ever seen a 10/10 game on Steam.
2023-09-20 08.04.28 www.google.com ea4565578b2e.png

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Daidraco

Its dirt cheap - give a try when you have some free time. Especially if you have someone close to play it with like a g/f or wife. We've dumped a fuck ton of hours into it and I thought I would hate it from the very get-go.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Its dirt cheap - give a try when you have some free time. Especially if you have someone close to play it with like a g/f or wife. We've dumped a fuck ton of hours into it and I thought I would hate it from the very get-go.
After Starfield I've got to play the next EQ expansion. Then I need to finally beat the Space Exploration + Krastorio 2 mod of Factorio, then I need to check out Dwarf Fortress (which I hear is pretty easy, shouldn't take long at all). Then? We'll see...

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I’m surprised you haven’t played it. It’s a pretty insane game imo. My son dumped a ton of hours into it and watching the stuff he was doing and crafting blew my mind how deep it is with how simply it starts off.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Burns

Note for anyone else: I skipped right over the second part of this post because I thought the quoted part was just a repeat of the reddit thread in case it was deleted, and not that it was a separate reply in that thread.

Here is a SS of the reply Tuco quoted:
2023-09-20 08.09.02 www.reddit.com bb2b42838af4.png