General Gaming News and Discussion

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
Unfortunately it's the slippery slope we are already on and sliding away. It will be interesting to see how things pan out in about 20 years. My guess is by then most physical media will be obsolete.

I remember the excitement of lining up to buy the latest CD, or game....no one does that anymore. No more midnight release parties, etc. I have over 500 CDs, hundreds of DVD/Blue-rays....and I can't remember the last time I put on a CD or played one of those movies. I have still have my Nintendo NES, Nintendo 64, 3D0, Playstation games going back to PS1.....all in boxes. Haven't look at them in over a decade. It's more for nostalgia for me than anything else. Streaming has changed everything. And I'm old....the younger generation with their propensity to instant gratification probably have gone all digital at this point, even gaming.

I also think with the amount of entertainment choices out there now, my attention gets diverted way too easily. For example, back in the day, I might play a game I liked for hundreds of hours....nowadays I find myself playing a game, finishing it, then moving on to the next one without doing a "deep dive" on the previous game like I would in the past. So services like Playstation Plus is perfect for me because I play all sorts of games now, and I never finish them usually, whereas 20 years ago if I bought a game, I would see it to the end. If, God forbid, a service would end, let's say Ubisoft goes into bankruptcy, well then, I would just move on to the next thing. In the meantime, I would have played, for example, Assasin's Creed 1-50, all the FarCrys, etc....games I would never have bought in the first place, but games I'm glad I got to play.

So it's a double-edged sword for sure. I guess I'm in the minority that isn't bothered that much anymore by gaming services, considering that's already happened to my movies and my music.

joz123

Potato del Grande
I've always thought of PS+ and Gamepass as rental services. I try to buy everything physical unless there's a huge discount on the game and it's older so won't be worth much anyway.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Siliconemelons

I mean it's called renting? It's not like they're talking about selling full game prices here….

Lol yeah and digital versions will be cheaper because no physical media expense!

Agamemnon Meme Generator - Imgflip
Agamemnon Meme Generator - Imgflip

• 5Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
My only comment is that I wonder if a transition to “rental” only for games will result in the massive decline in quality that’s happened with movies and TV. Feels like we get such half assed cheap slop nowadays with straight to streaming.

• 1Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
My only comment is that I wonder if a transition to “rental” only for games will result in the massive decline in quality that’s happened with movies and TV. Feels like we get such half assed cheap slop nowadays with straight to streaming.
Did someone actually say anything about "rental only" or are you just inventing things to worry about?

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
So guy says super obvious thing that subscription services for games will be more successful if/when people are more comfortable with it, and everyone goes full retard acting like he's calling for a dystopian future?

• 1Like

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So guy says super obvious thing that subscription services for games will be more successful if/when people are more comfortable with it, and everyone goes full retard acting like he's calling for a dystopian future?
Right? I'm sure all Ubisoft execs have our best interests in mind by default. Why else would I need to log into Uplay? It's for my own good really.

• 1Smuggly

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
They need to make some games that make me want to download that shit service in the first place let alone pay a monthly service. Only one in the past was Division games, but it seems like they gave up on those and chose to do shitty avatar games instead. (Like who the hell gives a fuck about "Avatar" in 2024?)

• 1Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Right? I'm sure all Ubisoft execs have our best interests in mind by default. Why else would I need to log into Uplay? It's for my own good really.

Because businesses wanting money is a completely new thing that didn't exist before that was posted this morning.

Fucking retards everywhere

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Eh, I really only poopsocked EQ until mid Kunark.

Me and my buddies fucked with Tribes, Unreal Tournament, and then Tribes 2 a LOT, before poopsocking DAoC(I honestly think I have more playtime in DAoC than EQ, prior to TLPs) for a few years. Hell, if it weren't for Trials of Atlantis being such a massive misstep content wise, I'd have probably played DAoC until WoW came out, honestly.

I came back to EQ briefly, shortly after PoP came out. But I pretty much left EQ for over a decade, once I got my BoT flag. EQ just never really connected with me after I left in Kunark. Until my boomer nostalgia started kicking in the past 5-8 years or so - right around the release of Lockjaw TLP.

What was wrong with Trials of Atlantis? IIRC that was the last expansion my mom played. I figured there was nothing after it or something. I like Atlantis themed stuff so this was the one time DAOC piqued my interest (tried it at launch and the Albion noob zones legitimately made me want to go to sleep).

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
This ship has already sailed, but to me speedrunning means finishing the game as fast as you can.
Since he's the first one to finish it, even if it took 29 years he did speedrun it.
I can't wait till other autistic children beat his record by using an obscure technique called dick flicking or foreskin taping

The next big Tetris breakthrough: Helicopter Dick

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
What was wrong with Trials of Atlantis? IIRC that was the last expansion my mom played. I figured there was nothing after it or something. I like Atlantis themed stuff so this was the one time DAOC piqued my interest (tried it at launch and the Albion noob zones legitimately made me want to go to sleep).
I think the pvp only folk didn't like being at a disadvantage to people with master levels and badass artifacts. Artifact leveling was a bit of a grind.

I think I only got to like master level 6 or something, but I had some wicked artifacts. If I ever needed them, I'd forget to use them though. I'd have some crazy ability on some kind of J hotkey or something, and never use it.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Because businesses wanting money is a completely new thing that didn't exist before that was posted this morning.

Fucking retards everywhere
Yeah Ubi having an especially poor public opinion makes it really easy to turn them into clickbait like this, it's just fucking embarrassing to see people uncritically swallow it down whole without any doubts.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Yeah Ubi having an especially poor public opinion makes it really easy to turn them into clickbait like this, it's just fucking embarrassing to see people uncritically swallow it down whole without any doubts.
So you think that a subscription gaming executive is not pushing for an increase in subscription gaming, in a business environment where for the last 15 years everything from productivity software to music to TV has been moving to subscription models? Yeah, he's totally just making tautological observations because no one understands that there'd be more GAAS if people tolerated GAAS more. Definitely no plans to accelerate adoption in the interest of profits like everyone else.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
There's no fucking way you actually took the time to look at the original interview and I'm not gonna keep getting drawn further into your childish temper tantrum of 'i believe them to be villains which is proof that they're currently actively engaged in whatever act of villainy my argument requires them to be' because fuck Ubisoft and either way the inevitable conclusion of this vapid shitshow is someone crashing in with a vacant-minded 'lolol y u white knighting Ubisoft bro', followed by a bunch of digital backslapping as a flock of misbegotten sheep laugh about how owned I just was. and I'll continue enjoying Gamepass, which is a fantastic value for the cost.