General Gaming News and Discussion

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The Walt Disney Company and “Fortnite” creator Epic Games are set to collaborate on an all-new multiyear-long games and entertainment universe project.

The plans were revealed following Disney’s announcement today it will invest $1.5 billion to acquire an equity stake in Epic Games. The transaction is subject to customary closing conditions, including regulatory approvals.

The plan is for a “world-class games experience” powered by Unreal Engine and will be “interoperating with Fortnite”.

The new persistent universe will offer opportunities for consumers to play, watch, shop and engage with content, characters and stories from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, Avatar and more.

Players, gamers and fans will be able to create their own stories and experiences and share content with each other in ways they love.

Disney chief Bob Iger says in a statement:

Tim Sweeney, CEO and Founder, Epic Games says:

Check out the trailer for the collaboration below:

This is the least exciting thing I've ever heard

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
The Walt Disney Company and “Fortnite” creator Epic Games are set to collaborate on an all-new multiyear-long games and entertainment universe project.

The plans were revealed following Disney’s announcement today it will invest $1.5 billion to acquire an equity stake in Epic Games. The transaction is subject to customary closing conditions, including regulatory approvals.

The plan is for a “world-class games experience” powered by Unreal Engine and will be “interoperating with Fortnite”.

The new persistent universe will offer opportunities for consumers to play, watch, shop and engage with content, characters and stories from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, Avatar and more.

Players, gamers and fans will be able to create their own stories and experiences and share content with each other in ways they love.

Disney chief Bob Iger says in a statement:

Tim Sweeney, CEO and Founder, Epic Games says:

Check out the trailer for the collaboration below:

Does this mean we will finally get a Star Wars MMO with good combat?

While do have nostalgic rose colored glasses about Galaxies' Combat, at the end of the day it was a charming turd. SWTOR on the other hand has a decent/good system in a shit engine, so the delay feels like your character is covered in molasses.

I personally feel the gold standard for MMO game engines when it comes to twitch combat feel, is WoW. I did not play enough BDO comment on the feel.

EDIT: forgot to say WoW

Last edited:

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Need some modern form of Marvel Heroes resurrected out of this development.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
3.33 years in, I would not expect an 8-10 year life span for consoles with modern processing power requirements so if it's 5-7 years then obviously we're in the 2nd half.

But then you look at the Switch and what the Switch Ultra is going to be and.. we need more robust baselines.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>

Yeah it failed to meet expectations because these fucks didn't follow simple design concepts already on the PS4/Pro - something as little as migrating folders on the main UI slider to the PS5 UI. Or supporting Dolby Atmos over designing their own 3D Tempest shit. Or whacking party drop in drop out. Or going woke with their 1st party exclusives. Or raising their preice 30-50% on subscriptions. Or patching an entire game load for a 300mb update. Reverting back to 4032BC and updating controller firmware via a fucking USB cable for years. (Enter reasons 7-2001 here)

• 2Worf
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Yeah it failed to meet expectations because these fucks didn't follow simple design concepts already on the PS4/Pro - something as little as migrating folders on the main UI slider to the PS5 UI. Or supporting Dolby Atmos over designing their own 3D Tempest shit. Or whacking party drop in drop out. Or going woke with their 1st party exclusives. Or raising their preice 30-50% on subscriptions. Or patching an entire game load for a 300mb update. Reverting back to 4032BC and updating controller firmware via a fucking USB cable for years. (Enter reasons 7-2001 here)
Ok but any actual gripes about them?

• 3Worf
  • 1Double Worf

spronk

FPS noob
there isn't much reason to really be an xbox or ps5 fan boi, just get a cheap decent gaming pc and 99% of everything gets there. who gives a fuck anymore if you have to wait 1-2 years for spiderman, with the constant remasters you are simply better off anyways. plus western dev games are 80% likely to be turds anyways now and most people are back in the "i only play 1-2 games a year" mode ala EQ/world of warcraft 20 years ago, but now its fortnite and palworld.

plus a steam deck shits all over the lame ps portal, it really doesn't make much sense for younger western people to give a shit about gaming consoles. and i'm speaking as someone who still plays 90% of my games on ps5/xbox, just because i prefer that simple environment but i have a 3080ti gaming pc i could run everything on, i still like a ps5 for its turnkey gaming though.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yea consoles have really lost their allure. It used to be "I just like kicking back and relaxing on my couch", but you can very easilyi do that with a PC. Not to mention you can use a PC for a bajillion other things. Maybe its just covid or maybe its AAA studios being absolute fuckwits and not being able to churn out enough good exclusives. I will say the cost to performance ratio is probably much better on a console compared to what you have to spend for equivalent on PC (4k 60fps gaming), the but the game library, and total exclusive per console lifecycle have just plummeted.

I can't remember if they are reverse compatible? I know they stopped it on one generation but think they might have brought it back.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

joz123

Potato del Grande
Yea consoles have really lost their allure.
Steve Brule GIF by MOODMAN

• 2Like

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, definitely don't agree with any of that. Hooking a PC up to a TV is still a complete shitshow experience. PC HDR is garbage, even after being "fixed" in Windows 11. Getting PC games to output anything above 2.1 audio is enough of a pain in the ass that I just stopped trying.

Only time I use my PC, which is more or less new again since I put a 5600X3D and a 7800XT in it in December, is for games where the advantage of mouse and keyboard or an ultrawide display is so massive that the game is unplayable once you're used to it that way. So, basically PoE...

Hell, even streaming services suck on PC compared to something like a Shield TV. The websites don't work in any decent browser because any decent browser has purged the DRM they rely on so you get at most 1080p with shitty audio. The apps range from decent (Netflix, Hulu) to complete ass (Paramount+, Apple TV).

• 3Like
  • 1Truth!

Xevy

Log Wizard
Sometimes in crossplay games when some one starts talking shit and I see they're on console I ask them:

"I see you're on console. Are you 14 or poor?"

It works everytime. They get real quiet real quick.

• 3Picard
  • 2Worf
  • 1OK, Sure
Reactions: 7 users

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm unaware of this issue. I thought HDR was more of a capability of the graphics card and display and not the OS?
It's mostly controlled by the OS and Windows has a terrible implementation of it. They really want you to turn it on and leave it on for everything, which makes your desktop look like ass whenever you aren't playing a HDR game or video.

The display is a separate issue, but also a pretty big problem for PC HDR. Unless you use a TV or spend a couple grand on your monitor, it's going to look worse than with HDR off.

Plus, this is all just talking about plain old HDR10. Trying to get Dolby Vision to work is a whole 'nother can of worms.

• 2Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
PC HDR is garbage, even after being "fixed" in Windows 11.
Uh, calibrated properly this is not true, for gaming anyway.

For media playback on most apps, HDR still sucks, but that's a software problem due to content owners distrusting PCs.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Sometimes in crossplay games when some one starts talking shit and I see they're on console I ask them:

"I see you're on console. Are you 14 or poor?"

It works everytime. They get real quiet real quick.

Does someone pay you to just say stupid shit on the internet?

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users