General Gaming News and Discussion

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
It's mostly controlled by the OS and Windows has a terrible implementation of it. They really want you to turn it on and leave it on for everything, which makes your desktop look like ass whenever you aren't playing a HDR game or video.

The display is a separate issue, but also a pretty big problem for PC HDR. Unless you use a TV or spend a couple grand on your monitor, it's going to look worse than with HDR off.

Plus, this is all just talking about plain old HDR10. Trying to get Dolby Vision to work is a whole 'nother can of worms.

Yep. This is a result of Microsoft’s bastardization of HDR and not implementing it correctly with “Auto HDR”. Most SDR looks better since it wasn’t designed for an HDR color palette. (Red dead redemption 2 did this and I’ll never forget how fucked it was) and Microsoft continues to pull this crap. So it isn’t surprising to hear they do the same thing in Windows.

Auto HDR doesn’t apply a new design to an SDR palette. It looks awful. And also isn’t HDR. And they are doing the same thing with Dolby vision on the series X.

spronk

FPS noob
Doesn't HDR work better on PC now if you just keep it off in windows but enable it inside games? My monitor is still not HDR while my LG TV obviously is (and hooked up to PC) but its a pain in the ass trying to run desktop on my monitor and games on LG, although nowadays more and more games support a video display option where you can choose which monitor the game is run on in fullscreen mode. When my monitor dies I plan on upgrading to a full 4k HDR 160hz monitor so that should be fun.

on playback, best thing is just to run a plex (or jellyfin) server and install native plex apps on all your smart TVs and run media through that, you get full dolby vision/HDR10+ playback, can just use your TV remote on the couch, and you get beautiful metadata so it basically looks like netflix (hbo etc) but for your own content. When you get fancy enough you run a dedicated NAS box with plex, radarr, sonarr, bittorrent on top of it and you have your own automated media server.

sadly the amount of good content put out every year drops, but at least that means you don't need to constantly expand storage. I've been sitting at ~100tb of storage for media and haven't needed to expand in years.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Sometimes in crossplay games when some one starts talking shit and I see they're on console I ask them:

"I see you're on console. Are you 14 or poor?"

It works everytime. They get real quiet real quick.
My front speakers alone cost more than a top tier gaming pc.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Truth!
  • 1Pathetic
Reactions: 5 users

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
My pc is dogshit now, but 10 years ago it was top tier. I can still play almost everything mostly maxed out. BG3 might be a challenge now but it still hits recommended specs. That said, I’ve been in a full blown console mode because of aforementioned annoyances and ease of plug and play with a surround sound system and big ass TV.

I am about to build a media server though to start weaning us off streaming more plus I have a massive BD and DVD collection I plan to rip.

• 1Like
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Hell, even streaming services suck on PC compared to something like a Shield TV. The websites don't work in any decent browser because any decent browser has purged the DRM they rely on so you get at most 1080p with shitty audio. The apps range from decent (Netflix, Hulu) to complete ass (Paramount+, Apple TV).
Considering streamed "4k" is awful that's not a real problem.

If you are actually wanting to enjoy 4k content you need to be watching from local/physical media.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
PC masterrace, aint no poor console pleb ever going to convince me they are better.

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Considering streamed "4k" is awful that's not a real problem.

If you are actually wanting to enjoy 4k content you need to be watching from local/physical media.

Most definitely. Along with pure lossless audio. Differences here are astounding. But like everything in the world, it's being dumbed down by marketing terminology and stupid people that fall for it.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Husband definitely prefers the ease of a console for sure. Doesn’t like using the computer much and doesn’t want to worry about hardware. Meanwhile, my PC is hitting potato status after not being able to afford any upgrades to what was a budget $1k build 5 years ago. I hardly buy any new games now because they’ll run like shit (Elden Ring was basically my last straw since the frame rate and low settings made it miserable to play, so I never finished).

• 1WTF
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Husband definitely prefers the ease of a console for sure. Doesn’t like using the computer much and doesn’t want to worry about hardware. Meanwhile, my PC is hitting potato status after not being able to afford any upgrades to what was a budget $1k build 5 years ago. I hardly buy any new games now because they’ll run like shit (Elden Ring was basically my last straw since the frame rate and low settings made it miserable to play, so I never finished).

I have and use both. Console for what it's good for, PC for what it's good for.

Elden Ring ran like butter on PS5 and looked fan-fucking-tastic. PC master race cultists are gay.

• 2Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
No one panics until they shut the lights off for windows 10, then suddenly everyone will be crying about $2K+ computers.

• 2Like

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I’ve priced a build the past three years and instead bought a PS5. The time is coming though. I need a new everything this time. My tower was bought in 2011 and I’ve retrofitted it since. Time to upgrade.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
No one panics until they shut the lights off for windows 10, then suddenly everyone will be crying about $2K+ computers.
I dont think this will happen for a while because many businesses and companies use win 10 exclusively. And moving a giant corpo to a new OS, even if its new win version is a monumental task. Took us like 2 yrs to fully move to win 10 from xp back in the day. Double so with win 11 since it has a set of mew requirements which would mean many new PC and we all know how that plays out in corpo land.

• 1Like

Xevy

Log Wizard
My smug comment from earlier isn't disparaging casual gamers. It's specifically at people who talk shit in video games while playing on a console. If you just want to come home and play God of War on your 62" TV that's perfectly acceptable, that's what the majority of gaming should be. But if you're trying to climb some ranked game and you're playing 60fps locked with a shitty controller, with or without 40% aim assist, you better not have the literal 1500 dollars you'd need for a good computer for 4 years because you're A: a kid or B: spending 70% of your paycheck leasing a Mustang or some terrible other 20's financial bro decisions.

The majority of gamers are casual and gaming on the whole is a recreational activity. That's what it should be. But it's the people thinking they're hot shit or shit talking everyone else while playing the literal minimal version of the game I find to be funny. Trying to be top dog and not being able to come off your leash.

• 1Faggotry
  • 1Seriously?

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
My smug comment from earlier isn't disparaging casual gamers. It's specifically at people who talk shit in video games while playing on a console. If you just want to come home and play God of War on your 62" TV that's perfectly acceptable, that's what the majority of gaming should be. But if you're trying to climb some ranked game and you're playing 60fps locked with a shitty controller, with or without 40% aim assist, you better not have the literal 1500 dollars you'd need for a good computer for 4 years because you're A: a kid or B: spending 70% of your paycheck leasing a Mustang or some terrible other 20's financial bro decisions.

The majority of gamers are casual and gaming on the whole is a recreational activity. That's what it should be. But it's the people thinking they're hot shit or shit talking everyone else while playing the literal minimal version of the game I find to be funny. Trying to be top dog and not being able to come off your leash.

Cool thanks for addressing that irrelevant concern/issue. Do you have a newsletter I can send to my worst enemies?

• 7Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 8 users

Goonsquad Officer
Why would anyone willingly use a console?

I guess you could be playing a Zelda game. Thats a good excuse I guess

• 2Worf
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 2 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
They want to sit back like fat slobs on their couch and use their 4K tv at 30fps, maybe 60fps if the game allows.

• 1Worf
  • 1Double Worf

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I think Nintendo went in the right general direction with the Switch but it would nice if they prioritized making the hardware specs a tad more robust. Yeah the portability of the Switch somewhat excuses the weak hardware but they could definitely put more effort into it instead of just continuing the trend they started with the Wii of letting their system lag miles behind the specs of Microsoft and Sony. Maybe hold some of their developers to a higher standard instead of letting them churn out trash cough gamefreak cough

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users