General Purpose MMORPG Thread

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I was just googling around about MMOs while bored at work, and apparently there's an awesome Shadowbane emulator for all you pvp weirdos:

About Magicbane
My name is Artyom, I play Shadowbane for years on live servers. I was born in Grozny, my family move to St. Petersburg when fighting started in Chechnya. I play the game while at St. Petersburg State Polytechnical University for study of computer science, and there I met my woman Olga. I quit the game a year after expansion Throne of Oblivion comes out. Recently I decided with Olga we want to play Shadowbane again, so me and Olga work for make new Shadowbane server. I have skills to program the game, Olga is professional white hat, with skill to help unwind the program. We have worked for a year and hope for have players enjoy our server for new Shadowbane server Magicbane!

Sounds awesome. In Soviet Russia, game plays YOU to crush.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
God, I remember Shadowbane's website before release. So much 100% fabricated bullshit "facts" about what's "in-game." Still had some friends who loved it despite its warts.

• 1Like

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Imagine a world where Wildstar devs had spent five minutes playing Neverwinter and SWTOR wasn't built with the HeroEngine and Rift cleaned up its bloated talent trees and FF14 wasn't so goddamn weeabo and everything had enough UI customization to fix idiotic flaws and all raids were flex and blah blah unicorns and shit.

• 1Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 1 users

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Excuse me Sir/Ma'am! Do you have a moment to talk about Everquest Next, our lord and savior?

20130924234837a0dl74faikl4u7bb.jpg

• 1Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 1 users

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Maybe SoE will put the models up on the Unity store to try and make some money for once and then Brad can gobble them up for Pantheon.

• 1Like

Dalien

Registered Hodor
My Grandfather smoked his whole life. I was about 10 years old when my mother said to him, 'If you ever want to see your grandchildren graduate, you have to stop immediately.'. Tears welled up in his eyes when he realized what exactly was at stake. He gave it up immediately. Three years later he died of lung cancer. It was really sad and destroyed me. My mother said to me- 'Don't ever smoke. Please don't put your family through what your Grandfather put us through." I agreed. At 28, I have never touched a cigarette. I must say, I feel a very slight sense of regret for never having done it, because this thread gave me cancer anyway.

• 9Like
Reactions: 8 users

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
My Grandfather smoked his whole life. I was about 10 years old when my mother said to him, 'If you ever want to see your grandchildren graduate, you have to stop immediately.'. Tears welled up in his eyes when he realized what exactly was at stake. He gave it up immediately. Three years later he died of lung cancer. It was really sad and destroyed me. My mother said to me- 'Don't ever smoke. Please don't put your family through what your Grandfather put us through." I agreed. At 28, I have never touched a cigarette. I must say, I feel a very slight sense of regret for never having done it, because this thread gave me cancer anyway.
The fuck is this shit? Wrong thread?

• 1Salty

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
I can't imagine being at that EQN reveal.

It'd be like Disney announcing that the Star Wars sequels would be ice dancing musicals with the roles played by Mickey & friends.

• 1Solidarity

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
No, it wouldn't be like that because Disney would actually release a finished product. One that destroys your childhood and devours your soul, but a finished product nonetheless.

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
I can't imagine being at that EQN reveal.

It'd be like Disney announcing that the Star Wars sequels would be ice dancing musicals with the roles played by Mickey & friends.
At that reveal show they were already soooooo deep into buillshit mode *pretending* things were ok but showing desperate signs of creating panicky filler bullshit content that makes Brad and Sigils Vanguard team seem like marvellous paragon masters of software engineering and management. Even Pantheon looks more like an EQ Next than EQ Next (or Landmark) ever did.

Does anyone here know who was the creative design genius that is responsible for SoE/Daybreak's EQ Next 5+ year advenure ?

(edit) Only thing I seem to recall is Ponytail but that it was just speculation?

Last edited:

Mur

Trakanon Raider
Does the EQNext fiasco really surprise anyone though? I mean with Uncle Smedley at the helm of SOE, and Pervy Ponytail acting as "creative" director for the project, what could go wrong. SOE is a perfect example of a company rife with nepotism, where who you were related to, fucked, or were in a guild with, meant more than having any real talent or skills. I mean look at the two stars of SOE, Dave Georgeson, and Holly whats her nuts. Yeah the games really moved to some new amazing levels with those two calling the shots. Oh shit, lets not forget the Loremaster himself, Moorgard. WTF, the guy had the creative energy of a potato, yet he was somehow supposed to recreate Norraths history? /facepalm

I feel sorry for the people who weren't part of the cool kids clique; I imagine plenty of very good ideas, from some very bright and talented people, were shot down by the chosen ones.

Ok /rant_off

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
God, I remember Shadowbane's website before release. So much 100% fabricated bullshit "facts" about what's "in-game." Still had some friends who loved it despite its warts.

The number one thing that detracted from it was the rubberbanding and SB.exe errors every 5 minutes. But after coming back to it like 2 yrs later and playing it for about a year it was pretty fun. The sieges were still a slide show for the most part but beter hardware helped a ton and they fixed the sb exe bullshit, but something about that game that was fucking awesome. I remember the chinese and japs were all on the server fighting for power so it was US vs China vs Japan, it was awesome fights over resource nodes, the class runes and every once in a while an all out siege.

• 1Solidarity