Genshin Impact

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So I'm a free to play guy. Is Barbara worth investing in? Right now I'm mainly invested in Noelle and not much else... I was hoping to get to Abyssal Level 3 to try to get meat girl, but really not strong enough yet.
Invest in leveling her up, and maybe upgrade some Talents sure. As for gear, you really don't need to invest in her at all, aim for increasing her HP. Give her a weapon that has HP as the main stat, like the 3* Tales of Thrilling Dragons or whatever that buffs the character you swap to from Barb. Do the same for Artifacts, all those seemingly useless +HP/Def ones you get, give to Barb.

Gator

Molten Core Raider
So I'm a free to play guy. Is Barbara worth investing in? Right now I'm mainly invested in Noelle and not much else... I was hoping to get to Abyssal Level 3 to try to get meat girl, but really not strong enough yet.
She is a solid healer probably 2nd best in the game but she will not do much for you when it comes to damage. Pair her with the dragons tales book for added dps on your main. Make sure you are aiming for elemental reactions.

Edit: Didn't see Zin reply.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Also she's the only water character I have so she become invaluable in Abyss for burning down Fire Abyss mage shields. Even at 40 she can down one of those POS in <5 seconds just spamming her auto attack whereas Razor and others takes quite a bit longer.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Youll definitely want a healer for each team when you get to Abyss 5 and need two separate teams.

Speaking of which, you don’t need a fully developed roster of 8 characters to do upper level abyss. Two strong DPS characters, two at least level 40/50 healers, then the rest of the roster could be level 20 that counter the enemy’s elemental shield. You’ll almost certainly have to go back later to get all 9 stars from every floor, but you only need 6 stars to unlock the next floor. For floor 8 I got 3 stars first floor, 0 second floor, and 3 third floor. I haven’t tried floor 9 yet.

I like using characters that have skills/ults that persist after swapping so I don’t have to worry about the low level character dying and can continue to DPS while breaking through the elemental shield (for example Xiangling’s ult, Kaeya ult, Fischl skill). Shields and BEST counters are:

Fire shield : Hydro ability
Ice shield : Pyro
Lightning : Cryo
Water : Electro
Geo : Claymore

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Water : Electro
This actually depends on whether you're talking abyss mage or fatui fatboys. Cryo takes down the abyss mage bubble fastest, but does nothing at all to fatui.

The huge difference I think most people probably don't realize is that fatui shields aren't weak to elements but elemental reactions. So it's not actually just electro you need, but electro-charged (which is easy since water units with a shield up are always wet, but it's not usually that simple). Same goes for the rest, but it's better to link to the reddit thread where it was fully tested:

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Warr

<Bronze Donator>

I'm assuming you have the free Barbara for making AR 20? I think she's worth using since she's one of the only healers available for F2P without going hard after a 5*. I thought she was good enough that I spent all my spare primogems on Venti banner, not in the hopes of getting Venti, but hopefully get a couple extra constellations on her and Fischl.

As a healer or support though, you don't need to go HAM on making sure she is max level. You should typically max level 1-2 of your primary DPS, then later work on your supports and healers. So for right now, my party is Chong/Fischl/Xiangling/Barbara at 60/60/50/50. I also got by for a long time with Barbara at 40 in that setup as well.

Also, highly recommend giving Barbara the Thrilling Tales of Dragon Slayers. It's a 3* book, so easy to multiple copies to max refine it. It has +% HP as a primary which helps her heals, and it's pretty easy to swap to her, pop her HoT, then swap back for the damage buff. Not much of which really depends on her level. Plus all the HP makes her fairly tanky in spite of being underleveled.

Having a dedicated healer is overall pretty good, but the one place it didn't necessarily help though was those first floors of Spiral Abyss since your main opponent is the clock. I had the hardest time on 3-3 but managed to beat it using Anemo traveler's charged attack and Kaeya's final combo hits to knock guys off the platform, so it was more about technique than anything else.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
I'm still salty I destroyed two 5 refine thrilling tales when leveling weapons via the auto add and not realizing it until the instant I hit the button.

• 1Rustled
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
She is a solid healer probably 2nd best in the game but she will not do much for you when it comes to damage. Pair her with the dragons tales book for added dps on your main. Make sure you are aiming for elemental reactions.

Edit: Didn't see Zin reply.

I'm assuming you have the free Barbara for making AR 20? I think she's worth using since she's one of the only healers available for F2P without going hard after a 5*. I thought she was good enough that I spent all my spare primogems on Venti banner, not in the hopes of getting Venti, but hopefully get a couple extra constellations on her and Fischl.

As a healer or support though, you don't need to go HAM on making sure she is max level. You should typically max level 1-2 of your primary DPS, then later work on your supports and healers. So for right now, my party is Chong/Fischl/Xiangling/Barbara at 60/60/50/50. I also got by for a long time with Barbara at 40 in that setup as well.

Also, highly recommend giving Barbara the Thrilling Tales of Dragon Slayers. It's a 3* book, so easy to multiple copies to max refine it. It has +% HP as a primary which helps her heals, and it's pretty easy to swap to her, pop her HoT, then swap back for the damage buff. Not much of which really depends on her level. Plus all the HP makes her fairly tanky in spite of being underleveled.

Having a dedicated healer is overall pretty good, but the one place it didn't necessarily help though was those first floors of Spiral Abyss since your main opponent is the clock. I had the hardest time on 3-3 but managed to beat it using Anemo traveler's charged attack and Kaeya's final combo hits to knock guys off the platform, so it was more about technique than anything else.

Unfortunately I don't have any real DPS characters I don't think. I have...

- Noelle
- Amber
- Lisa
- Kaeya
- Aether
- Barbara
- Chongyun
- Xingqiu

I missed getting Venti, unfortunately. :(

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
Chongyun is my primary DPS and combos well with Barbara to inflict freeze. That does sort of pigeonhole you into using Amber and Lisa if you want those 2 elements for reactions, but it can probably be overcome. Alternatively, my traveler was my main DPS before I built my current party. You could also use Kaeya for double freeze and get additional crit% against frozen targets, but I still think having the variety of elemental reactions available is the way to go.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Chong, Kaeya, Amber, Lisa - Any of them could be viable DPS.

Realistically any characters are fine if you're willing to invest in them. There is no "bad" one in the game.

Vorph

Unfortunately I don't have any real DPS characters I don't think. I have...

- Noelle
- Amber
- Lisa
- Kaeya
- Aether
- Barbara
- Chongyun
- Xingqiu

I missed getting Venti, unfortunately. :(
You have Xiangling as soon as you do Abyss 3-3. It's not completely trivial, but should be doable without over-investing in another character you won't use long term.

And since people were talking about streamers who don't suck and/or aren't whales with no concept of how the game actually plays for everyone else, I'll suggest this dude too:

Enviosity -- specifically his videos on beating Abyss as completely F2P. He doesn't even use an 8th character, just the 7 which everyone is guaranteed to have.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jonoki

Molten Core Raider
Haven't done any gem packs and was ignoring the Klee banner because my next pity was the guaranteed character... but hit ar 40 today and was all excited to do artifact domains finally to gear up my Keqing... but can't even do the domain with her because triggering superconduct damages yourself as the gimmick for it. Lol. Really need a fire DPS. 50 bucks gets me Klee. Fuck. I really wanted to save it for Zhongli or Xiao or Childe. Oh well.

Vorph

Haven't done any gem packs and was ignoring the Klee banner because my next pity was the guaranteed character... but hit ar 40 today and was all excited to do artifact domains finally to gear up my Keqing... but can't even do the domain with her because triggering superconduct damages yourself as the gimmick for it. Lol. Really need a fire DPS. 50 bucks gets me Klee. Fuck. I really wanted to save it for Zhongli or Xiao or Childe. Oh well.
I really hate the domain gimmicks. I can beat the electric one that drains your energy with minutes to spare, but rarely need to do that one for anything. Instead I get stuck doing the water one, and the combination of long ass cooldowns on everything and the ridiculously overpowered bubbles means I finish with a few seconds left on the clock at most (and still fail it occasionally). That's with leaving a couple slimes up to refresh the timer while killing the mage too. I tried swapping out Barbara for Kaeya once and failed miserably because of how much damage the damn bubbles make you take.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I like Enviosity, he does good stuff with that set up. No idea how his Xiangling runs circles around mine, like it isn't even close on damage output. I'm only like 75 atk behind him and his is just in another stratosphere. My Pike is even more refined than his.

*edit: just remembered the low health ley line bonus too. Wasn't playing around that since I like being full health :\

Also, just noticed that killing the Regisvine in Floor 8-3 counts towards your weekly BP 10x Elite mobs, so don't have to waste Resin on them if you don't need to.

Last edited:

Vorph

Also, just noticed that killing the Regisvine in Floor 8-3 counts towards your weekly BP 10x Elite mobs, so don't have to waste Resin on them if you don't need to.
Killing any regisvine or hypostasis or oceanid counts even if you don't spend the resin to loot it. Same goes for ley lines, except the loot flower never despawns until day change so you can only do a max of 4 'free' ones a day.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just enable matchmaking for that Domain, tons of people want the artifacts in there, so you'll have an easy time clearing it as much as you'd like. You can still use Keq, but play the Phys Dmg playstyle (use E, then use a Charge attack from a distance, that will proc SC without you taking a hit).

Edit: Since hitting AR40, I'll solo a max Domain once to see what the encounter is like and what character(s) are best, then I just Co Op and mostly use Venti unless someone has a better geared/leveled one. Its fun to do even if not spending resin, at least to me. ;p

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I like Enviosity, he does good stuff with that set up. No idea how his Xiangling runs circles around mine, like it isn't even close on damage output. I'm only like 75 atk behind him and his is just in another stratosphere. My Pike is even more refined than his.

*edit: just remembered the low health ley line bonus too. Wasn't playing around that since I like being full health :\

If he is consistently generating Particles, then he will be having the dmg buff Crescent Pike gives, he also used Charge attacks a lot.

jonoki

Molten Core Raider
Just enable matchmaking for that Domain, tons of people want the artifacts in there, so you'll have an easy time clearing it as much as you'd like. You can still use Keq, but play the Phys Dmg playstyle (use E, then use a Charge attack from a distance, that will proc SC without you taking a hit).

Edit: Since hitting AR40, I'll solo a max Domain once to see what the encounter is like and what character(s) are best, then I just Co Op and mostly use Venti unless someone has a better geared/leveled one. Its fun to do even if not spending resin, at least to me. ;p
Yeah I'm gonna just do that this weekend. I also love using Venti in co-op. Spamming Q is fun.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Needing c1 of any 5* to be optimal is a bad thing, constellations should only enhance the character, not make or break them. So if that is true, then yes, Klee sucks.

I said ASCENSION 1, not constellation 1. The ascension talents are given for free when you ascend. Klee's A1 is integral to her kit and by not reading it, the dude has no idea what he was doing.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
For anyone who hasn't seen it, here's the damage formula:

Code:
(Base ATK * (1 + ATK%) + FLAT ATK)*(1 + Corresponding Dmg Bonus%)*(Skill Multiplier)*[(100+Character Level)/((100+Character Level) + (100+Enemy Level)*Defence drop)]*(1 - Corresponding Enemy RES%)

"Base ATK" refers to the ATK your character gains naturally from leveling up plus the flat ATK provided to you by your weapon. No other forms of ATK factor into base ATK (not even from the feather) so it's very important to level up your DPSers and their weapons.

Another big takeaway from this is that all damage bonuses are additive. A Keqing with +30% Electro damage and +30% Normal attack damage is getting the same damage bonus on an Electro sword swing as a Keqing with a +60% Electro bonus or a +60% Normal attack damage bonus. These bonuses are multiplicative with ATK, however, so when itemizing your character, you'll want to try to achieve a good balance between ATK% and other damage bonuses.

Crits are absurd because they are multiplicative with all of the above. If you have the gear to go for a high crit build, it's probably worth it.